Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

OK I needed to get reliable wifi out in the shop so I tried something I had watched a video on. And it worked great.

It is called Powerline Ethernet and uses the powerlines in your house.

It is 2 small boxes, one plugs into an outlet and has a ethernet cable that plugs into your router, this sends internet into your power lines.

The second box is the same but you plug it into any outlet on the house wiring, it also has an ethernet wire to either wire directly or to another router.

I have a pump shed about 20' from the shop so I dug a trench and came off the pump shed extra outlet which is connected to the house and ran a wire into the shop and installed an outlet. The shop is on it's own meter so I had to come from the house. 

I plugged in the box by the router and went outside and plugged in the other box and a wire to a router I bought. I pressed the WPS button on the new router and it connected to my music laptop in the shop fast and has a great wifi signal, as good as what is in the house. It worked, now I have a solid siginal out there even with the doors closed.   

The circuit I used is about 250' long and has 3 outlets on it not counting the one I added on the end and on the other side of the breaker box.

About $90 total and solved a big problem.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B08M13B8B6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=1331509151460529&dchild=1&hvadid=83219393985878&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=55814&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83219680178094%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=24627_10647559&keywords=powerline%2Bethernet%2Badapter&qid=1629824964&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUlJITzVRSlJUTjlJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDM1MjkwM0dWRUg2WFg0QkRCOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjM3MzIyUERBRVpINTU1TDY4JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

router

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1200-WiFi-Router-Access/dp/B07RKYQGG4/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=router&qid=1629843515&sr=8-8&th=1

61qttkvUFVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51Ipyr-5fSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, billybob said:

For some applications, this technology can work well depending on distance, and can actually filter out unwanted noise in the line.

Congrats!

I had no idea about this until I went looking at videos on getting internet to outbuildings and thought I would try it. Amazon had free returns on both so if it did not work it "should" be no problem returning.  

It says it can go up to 1000' of wire, but I would guess the further you go the signal would get worse, just like the power of the electricity drops off dramitically with length of wire .

I had talked to a guy about this and he said years ago this technology was pretty rough at best. But the power companies got involved and refined how it and now it is what they now use to read meters, the numbers for your power usage goes right to the office. I would imagine they had a huge interest because cutting out meter readers probably saved millions.

I am just happy it worked, kind of always suprised when something works as advertised.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, billybob said:

Modern tech. Can be cool, until it isn't.

That's the truth.

I was using a wifi repeater on the corner of the house in the direction of the shop.

Worked great until it decided not to, most of the time it was fine but some days not so much, for no apperant reason.  

I really did not want to run a ethernet cable out there, and paying for another service out there was not going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dtel said:

I really did not want to run a ethernet cable out there, and paying for another service out there was not going to happen.

I was going to run networking out to an outbuilding at our last house. I've got a couple boxes that convert cat 5/6 to fiber. We had a bunch of fiber we pulled out from work. That way I wouldn't have to worry about lightning hitting the ground and frying gear.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

16 years ago today I joined this forum!  Time flies when you're having fun😐

Thanks but no cards or letters......bourbon's okay though!

Ill pour one for you tonight.   You've got time to make it here if you hurry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Ill pour one for you tonight.   You've got time to make it here if you hurry. 

Mr. Carl has good intentions but don’t extend your glass for too long. Chances are the well will run dry when your it’s your turn. Speaking from experience - 😉

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, richieb said:

Mr. Carl has good intentions but don’t extend your glass for too long. Chances are the well will run dry when your it’s your turn.

are you calling Carl an Uncle Eddie?  Remember that scene in Vacation where Eddie asks Clark if he wants a beer. Clark says yes so Eddie gives him the rest of the one he was already drinking and then gets a new one for himself. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

are you calling Carl an Uncle Eddie?  Remember that scene in Vacation where Eddie asks Clark if he wants a beer. Clark says yes so Eddie gives him the rest of the one he was already drinking and then gets a new one for himself. 

I would never insult Uncle Eddie in that way — at least Clark was offered a beer, backwash included. I was plain ol’ turned away - 

• Haha 3