Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Didn't see plows the year I spent in Hotlanta in the early 80s but Clt always had them and those darn salt trucks.

I'll tell you now it ain't me driving on that hard slippery ice, or even the snow the last three decades.

Dumb dumbs come out more in that kind of weather and I didn't want them sliding into me.

Now when I was 16 I did slide that first car, the big heavy Charger off a curve when I hit some ice on the way to school. It surprised me because it hadn't been frozen elsewhere. It was just always cold in the winter back then.

• Like 2

It usually does go away quickly in the Piedmont. It's been since the 70s and the one word I used that made my late parents laugh when I uttered it loudly before fully getting out of the bed.

"snownoschool!"  

We had it stay on the ground for two weeks sometimes.. to the point where the drawer full of breadbags was empty. Used them to keep socks and feet dry inside the cheap boots.

Half a foot is still possible but the time with the 20+mph sustained with gusts to 50mph has dropped considerably and the temp will hover around thirty. So it's just going to be a mess tomorrow.

• Like 2

1st pot of coffee is near gone. Put a loaf of bread to make. Cleaned the bathroom. I think these are a function of the coffee being near gone.

Just to keep OT [like it mattered until now].... When I put the Yammy in the doghouse, pulling the speaker wires.... blue nasty on the wire. Clipped all of the ends and gave some fresh to hook to. I'm not crazy about the spring terminals for the speaker wires on this receiver. Dumb question.... does one twist the wire ends when using this type of terminal? Logic would have the strands loose to make maximum contact.... yes/no?

• Like 2

Yes. I've always twisted the strands the same way they were inside the cover. Could just be me or that it made it easier to get the wire into the socket. When I rebuilt my stereo a couple years ago I looked into non traditional wiring. Read that stranded wire can introduce crosstalk or some other distortion. That stroked my ego and validated my deductive reasoning on that. But it could have been their way of justifying the cost increase on their solid copper wiring! 

• Like 2

Thawing a couple pounds of bambi back strap today. Thought I could cook it tonight, but drats. Not knowing what would happen weatherwise I tuned the temps in the fridge and freezer way down Saturday. Put it back to normal yesterday but it won't thaw until tomorrow now.

Any others consume venison in here? 

Not going to make bacon to use that to cook it on the stove in cast iron. Cant grill, mine is three hundred miles from me with the rest of my stuff. Olive oil is my standby but might go with butter since rice will be under the meat on the plate. Might go mushrooms and burgundy, could do a sauce with that. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Woffer said:

Richmond Calif here, 64 degrees currently and i just put on a long sleeve shirt.....

Sucks to be me!  Ohio isn't too bad where I am.  Only got 4 inches so I left the blower in the garage.  Could have played but it looked like too much work.  Thinking it will melt down before it gets serious.  Places in southern Ohio got 10-11 inches.

Have fun out there.

• Like 1

Huh? We got a half inch of sleet, enough freezing rain for some icicles, then four or five inches blowing at 50 mph for a couple hours. And I'm at least 400 miles south of you. Roads are clearing better today and it is halfway gone now though.  Yours will stay longer since you don't warm up as much. We'll hit 45 today!

* Apologies to all the northerners who are used to feet of snow all the time in the winter. I was in an ill mood this am due to some kind of sibling bullya and shouldn't have even logged in. A message had to be attended to that's why I was here.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:44 AM, grasshopper said:

1st pot of coffee is near gone. Put a loaf of bread to make. Cleaned the bathroom. I think these are a function of the coffee being near gone.

Just to keep OT [like it mattered until now].... When I put the Yammy in the doghouse, pulling the speaker wires.... blue nasty on the wire. Clipped all of the ends and gave some fresh to hook to. I'm not crazy about the spring terminals for the speaker wires on this receiver. Dumb question.... does one twist the wire ends when using this type of terminal? Logic would have the strands loose to make maximum contact.... yes/no?

The best bet is to solder the ends of the wires together.  That makes them much easier to push into those annoying spring terminals and pretty much eliminates the chance of a stray strand of wire causing a short.

Failing that, at least twist the wires.  You want every strand to go into the terminal, with none poking out sideways.

• Like 2

That looks edible. We had ribeye and baked potato.

My wife is doing IronMan ... again., she is teachng the whole school - K through 8. She has a couple of good aids and that helps.

Wife ran into a teacher that lives in Phoenix, has roots down here, highly qualified...... I told the wife to actively recruit her.

• Like 2