Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 4/8/2022 at 6:43 PM, JohnJ said:

Geeze I'm beat. Did laundry, Walked to the store twice this morning. This afternoon I changed bedrooms to one with one window instead of three. The cars without exhaust, PLUS  a loose plug or wire so that all four aren't running... their reverb between the church and the two big windows won't bug me all hours of the night any more 👏🙌.

Then I got taken to a real grocery store for the first time since January, $250 today and I'm set except for milk and eggs until May! 

Smart move.  A quiet room to sleep in is essential.  Easier to darken it, too, so you don't wake up at the crack of dawn every day, which is also pretty important.  I finally got a blackout blind for my very wide bedroom window a few years ago, so at last I can have a very dark bedroom.  It would have been great to have it all the years I worked midnights and afternoons.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Islander said:

Easier to darken it, too, so you don't wake up at the crack of dawn every day, which is also pretty important.  I finally got a blackout blind for my very wide bedroom window a few years ago, so at last I can have a very dark bedroom.  It would have been great to have it all the years I worked midnights and afternoons.

Might fork out money if I'm still here in `23.

Until then the fu-fu shears and cheap blinds will have to do. Last place I put real curtains in it ran me over $1100 and that was in 2003. Some things I won't bend on and I was raised in the South. I've always drawn the curtains where the hot sun would be the rest of the day until I got back. So that 1100 was spent on canvas with a backing, then prettier heavy stuff for her room and LR and den. Not blackout quality, but I've seen that done nicely in FL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Might fork out money if I'm still here in `23.

Until then the fu-fu shears and cheap blinds will have to do. Last place I put real curtains in it ran me over $1100 and that was in 2003. Some things I won't bend on and I was raised in the South. I've always drawn the curtains where the hot sun would be the rest of the day until I got back. So that 1100 was spent on canvas with a backing, then prettier heavy stuff for her room and LR and den. Not blackout quality, but I've seen that done nicely in FL.

My place has lots of windows, including four glass doors, so getting curtains all around would have been really pricey.  Ten years ago, the building had a major remediation, to address water leaks and drafts.  This included replacing all the windows with slightly different sized high efficiency ones.  

The new window frames are more bulky, but do an excellent job of keeping the weather and noise outside, to the point where the noise floor in the whole place is significantly lower.  That was great, but it meant that none of the old blinds fit.  Just getting a full set of vertical Venetians cost me $2500.  Then the 3’ x 8’ blackout blind was $500, to my surprise, but it was worth it.  If I want to sleep late, no problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't know how they count pollen, doubt it's like me. When I can see it on a black lacquered Chevelle it's not too bad, When that Chevelle turns greenish yellowish and a rainstorm makes it run down the gutters on every street? I'm already sneezin' with my eyes watered up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2