Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 5/1/2022 at 12:57 PM, Marvel said:

These didn't come from a store...

(The carton was recycled)

20220429_061901~3.jpg

Our neighbors have chickens and couple ducks and have been given eggs from both. Other than the obviously larger duck egg and the intense yellow-orange color of the yolk I really didn’t taste much difference from store bought. Maybe my taster is gone - 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:01 PM, Marvel said:

Couldn´t open this link, forgot to tell you that there has been no Walmart in Germany since 2007. The strategy of trying to enter the German market at the end of 1997 through acquisitions proved to be wrong. Wal-Mart also failed to score points with German customers with its advantages known in the USA, such as value for money and service.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Early afternoon here , warm, sunny , a little bit claudy but it doesn´t matter so far.

Garten.jpg.324b607884e99e3d9735bca94e98d27f.jpg

It's getting to be time to get the pool ready for my teens, it's going to be a lot of work again. Draining 38,000 liters, cleaning the inside walls and the pool floor, connecting the pumps, refilling the pool. This always takes 3 days, but then we can use the pool until the end of September.

MicroMaraland looks lovely.  Do you ever pull some speakers outside, to bring the groove to the garden?  Is it far away to your nearest neighbours? Pardon my curiosity; I’m just jealous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Couldn´t open this link, forgot to tell you that there has been no Walmart in Germany since 2007. The strategy of trying to enter the German market at the end of 1997 through acquisitions proved to be wrong. Wal-Mart also failed to score points with German customers with its advantages known in the USA, such as value for money and service.

Sometimes sales concepts that work very well in one country don’t translate well in another country.  Target opened some stores in Canada, to great fanfare, but they closed after only a few months.  Half the shelves were bare most of the time (supply and inventory issues), and the prices were nothing special.  The nearest one to my place was torn down and replaced with a huge Canadian Tire store.

Home Depot is very popular in the US and Canada, but when they opened stores in China, they got no business.  It turned out that most people in China who own homes and decide to renovate them just hire people to do the job, rather than doing it themselves.  As well, I’d guess that most contractors over there already have sources for the materials they use, and well-established relationships with those sources.  Home Depot packed up and left within a year.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Islander said:

MicroMaraland looks lovely.  Do you ever pull some speakers outside, to bring the groove to the garden?  Is it far away to your nearest neighbours? Pardon my curiosity; I’m just jealous.

Yea, we're looking for a place for our next audio gathering:)

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Wal-Mart also failed to score points with German customers with its advantages known in the USA, such as value for money and service.

Not always value for money, and the service is debatable.

Most of them all have self checkout, which is actually faster, as you usually don't have to wait in line.

Walmart usually moves into a neigborhood/town and undercuts the prices on all the family/locally owned businesses until they disappear. Then the prices go up.

They don't have any in the Philippines, either, although a couple other businesses there may operate in a similar fashion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Not always value for money, and the service is debatable.

Most of them all have self checkout, which is actually faster, as you usually don't have to wait in line.

Walmart usually moves into a neigborhood/town and undercuts the prices on all the family/locally owned businesses until they disappear. Then the prices go up.

They don't have any in the Philippines, either, although a couple other businesses there may operate in a similar fashion.

Not only does Walmart use hostile pricing like that, they’ve been known to try to bypass a town council that doesn’t want them to open a store in their town.  They’ve actually stated that they believe that the potential customers in the town need to have a local Walmart, regardless of what the elected officials believe.  The citizens know Walmart’s history and support the Council, but that’s irrelevant to Walmart, who have gone to court to be allowed to set up in places where they aren’t even wanted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Islander said:

Ja , that´s my nearest neighbor . I´ve never seen him. Well @Islander I have a fantastic outdoor sound system outsite 

It´s ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2