Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

I guess it’s time to bust out the chainsaw.

Yep, I had to do that when we had storms come through here on April 12th of this year. We had several large Oak limbs come down in our woods and the top of a large Pine tree. We also had a huge Oak Tree that came down; falling out of the woods onto our back yard and the top ended up about 10 feet from our house. These pictures only show a portion of all the piles of limbs, branches, and segments of the trunk that I cut up. My Echo chainsaw really got a workout and so did I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a lot of trees down in our neighborhood, but thankfully no damage to any homes. From the way that the tops of some trees and some limbs were twisted off, it appears that we probably had a tornado come over us, but off the ground.

1042093410_DownedTreesIMG_1018.thumb.jpg.10eccef2da2c02566fe37c6108dd6539.jpg

1842456221_DownedTreesIMG_1030.thumb.jpg.b71bfa88c5dea1e8adfbc9ed317fe281.jpg

778314485_DownedTreesIMG_1046.thumb.jpg.e5f1c298ea36f2fee411021d1996cc48.jpg

• Like 6

I’ve got a smallish Stihl that I got last year some time. It’s been great so far.

So far it looks like the tree only took out the drivers side mirror on the Jetta.

i’ve got a little more extraction to do before I can see if anything else was messed up but so far so good.

Mk4’s are pretty common in the junk yard these days so it should be cheap to get some replacement parts.

• Like 3

In the ‘70s, I used to ride my bike from Bloomfield Hills, MI to Birmingham, MI past the large homes of many auto executives.  You could always spot the AMC executives’ homes, as they were the only ones with nothing but AMC cars.

I once saw George Romney come out of the Bloomfield Hills Post Office and drive off in a plain white AMC Concord; no chauffeur driven black Suburban for that former governor.

29736E1D-852E-4B21-8FA0-B018D889AE14.jpeg

• Like 3

Ramble you say?  hahaha  I'll keep it short.  

@grasshopper ship Marvel a big slab.  Money isn't an object.  😂

@DizRotus good to see you and those things were pretty cool.  Parents had a station wagon in two-tone green.  UGLY but different with a coolness factor.

Everyone else?  Happy Father's Day!  :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I've gotten pieces [in purchased firewood] up to 24in dia. Furniture size is available in Mexico.

I had looked at this place to see about a slab. If we made a trip out there by car/truck to visit friends we could pick up a piece, but shipping is crazy.

https://www.mesquitedesign.com/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Another form of Rambling.

0488555A-154A-4A69-9766-FDC109283C61.jpeg

I have never seen such vehicles in my life. When were they built ? Could you drive it only straight,the curve radius seems to have been quite limited by the added fenders.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

I have never seen such vehicles in my life. When were they built ? Could you drive it only straight,the curve radius seems to have been quite limited by the added fenders.

The body overhang was such that the front tires did not hit the body when turning.  My maternal grandfather had a couple Nash Ramblers.  He always was a contrarian.

• Like 3

Slipped out to McD's to grab a burrito and couldn't figure out why there wasn't a line around the drive thru, which today seems to be the norm.  Got home and took one bite, looked inside, swallowed the one bite and threw the rest in the trash.  Seems as though they're going to plant based additives here now.  I KNOW the local Taco Bell is using them in their burritos.  Can I say done?  Threw 3 eggs in a skillet and now I'm happy.   :)

• Like 2