Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 6/19/2022 at 6:55 AM, DizRotus said:

The body overhang was such that the front tires did not hit the body when turning.  My maternal grandfather had a couple Nash Ramblers.  He always was a contrarian.

I worked in the Nash factory albeit after Howard Hughes bought it after their demise. We built F-14, F-15 and F-18 weapon fire and control radars there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

if you're driving a Rambler you might want that...

Not that they didn't build a few nice cars....SCRambler, AMX.

went to Tucson today. Got my Yammy back with a clean bill of health. They said everything is in spec and should last me many years.

I was on a mission. Left the house at 8AM. Stopped at the hardware store and WhiteElephant... was at the shop to get my amp at 10:10AM...Home at 11:30AM. Tucson is 60miles and then you get to drive surface streets... stop lights and traffic.. 

In the shop... They have a pair of birch LS. Pretty. They had a pair of Heresy, too. This is stuff they have se vende. The LS are $2500. I didn't ask about the Heresy. The kid at the desk seemed rather fond of both. Particularly the LS...I can understand. He looked at me incredulously when I told him I could stuff that pair of LS in the little car.... I have pictures.

• Haha 2

Got so ticked at msft last Friday. their new build for me dictated new DNS servers for me. I could chang it like always but it won't stick. If you're even carrying half-geek dna you know how important that is. And it's important to them if they want to know everything you visit online. Worst is I had to get around it to even be able to visit and download several linux sites deemed inappropriate.

DNS Crypt got way too involved for me after win10 came out but I did find a tool that mitigated msft a little. But that was a line crossed that got me peaved!

Run several live variants of Linus since then. The several I trialed "Live" are actually decent and allow some win programs to run on them. On Zorin 16.1 now that I purged msft like kenmore and whirlpool from my life.

But THEN:ohmy:

There isn't music on any linux I tried, no youtube! No cd playback! No Mas! ... for you Willie! youtube vids just hiss at a very low db point. CDs? awful sound and extremely low decibels. Can't make a win11 install usb from either of the distros I had available. 

That and the headaches... root canals are $3k, pulling is $200 - 300. Doubt there are any pain pills given out anymore... oxy this and that give my a physical anxiousness that is awful, Bayer stops the pain better. Then I can't sleep for two days after one dose of one of them. 

Guess I''l go the next half of my life having to keep the ice I'm crunching on one side from now on!

Doc just called and postponed a week!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Got so ticked at msft last Friday. their new build for me dictated new DNS servers for me. I could chang it like always but it won't stick. If you're even carrying half-geek dna you know how important that is. And it's important to them if they want to know everything you visit online. Worst is I had to get around it to even be able to visit and download several linux sites deemed inappropriate.

DNS Crypt got way too involved for me after win10 came out but I did find a tool that mitigated msft a little. But that was a line crossed that got me peaved!

Run several live variants of Linus since then. The several I trialed "Live" are actually decent and allow some win programs to run on them. On Zorin 16.1 now that I purged msft like kenmore and whirlpool from my life.

But THEN:ohmy:

There isn't music on any linux I tried, no youtube! No cd playback! No Mas! ... for you Willie! youtube vids just hiss at a very low db point. CDs? awful sound and extremely low decibels. Can't make a win11 install usb from either of the distros I had available. 

That and the headaches... root canals are $3k, pulling is $200 - 300. Doubt there are any pain pills given out anymore... oxy this and that give my a physical anxiousness that is awful, Bayer stops the pain better. Then I can't sleep for two days after one dose of one of them. 

Guess I''l go the next half of my life having to keep the ice I'm crunching on one side from now on!

Doc just called and postponed a week!

What msft OS was giving you DNS issues?

36 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

What msft OS was giving you DNS issues?

11 xx140 from last week changes the much faster cloudflare primary then the opendns stable secondary ones. They were not allowed to be set and 127.x.x.x was what I was given by msft. I've learned since reading up on it they are doing their own diagnostics on that build and user initiated diagnostics are turned off. It slowed me down too much but with warp I overcame their denying me access to sites, and I'm not even talking about factual news sites at all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

this is WAY over my head....I can read the words... make anything of them... No

I'm severely techno-challenged

DNS = the Domain Name System

Since computers are computers/skynet :wink: they talk in ones and zeros, 1 & 0 .

We type in 

https://community.klipsch.com and a DNS provider translates that into 10.01.0.011010.100 or whatever it really is to get us here. Happens in milliseconds.

DNS can also be used to gather personal info for $ making and nefarious reasons.

It's in your network adapter settings for IPv4  and IPv6.

Historically your internet provider provides this in your modem, and it goes into your pc settings. Also historically you can increase your internet access speeds using an alternate one. Well that and IRPStackSize too. Cloudflare had an outage this morning, they are normally the quickest. OpenDNS has been around a lot longer and can be configured to block a whole big assortment of topics. I've used three backups and have barely had downtime since I learned about this long ago. When I had spec  um *(planet  arium) and "they" went down, I didn't.

* Chef Knew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Weird, 127. address would normally be a self assigned loopback adapter.

Was there other network/security software running on that device?

I've seen third party VPN software cause a sticky DNS situation before on windows 10 which can be fixed by clearing a registry key.

It looks like the key is in the same place on windows 11.

Often times a ping by IP address to a public address like (8.8.8.8) will work.
If ping by IP does work then it is likely a DNS issue.

First you can open a command prompt window and run one of the following commands to view the GUID of the connection in question depending on whether it is a wired or wireless interface,

netsh lan show interfaces

netsh wlan show interfaces

The output will look something like

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : Wi-Fi 2

Description            : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 #2

GUID                   : 5f29b74d-7d44-4c9e-a5a7-a83c1ec10dd4

Physical address       : a0:af:bd:66:93:6f

State                  : connected

SSID                   : Your_WIFI_SSID

BSSID                  : d8:54:a2:42:af:98

Network type           : Infrastructure

Radio type             : 802.11n

Authentication         : WPA2-Personal

Cipher                 : CCMP

Connection mode        : Auto Connect

Channel                : 1

Receive rate (Mbps)    : 115.6

Transmit rate (Mbps)   : 115.6

Signal                 : 79%

Profile                : Your_WIFI_SSID

Hosted network status  : Not available

Then you can open the registry and browse to the following set of keys,

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID listed above}

There are likely to be multiple sub keys as well relating to different networks to which the PC has connected.

The hangup appears to come from the NameServer or ProfileNameServer keys which will act as a static entry for DNS even when the rest of the options are set to enable DHCP or if you are trying to manually set them through the network adapter options.

Opening the NameServer  or ProfileNameServer entry and clearing it out so the “value data” is blank has worked for me in the past to return the computer to normal functioning via DHCP.

Might need a reboot afterwards.

Once clearing them out via the registry things should be back to normal and manual entry or DHCP should work, providing there isn't some third party nonsense going on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1

Cool You get it!

No they just put a dns in there that would not let me go too much of anywhere.

Probably because I keep disabling their win offend software.

I've always used a hosts file but that guy was real sick a couple years ago and the file hasn't been updated since then either. That still blocks a bunch of ads. Just not current like what I have on my phone. Put the little warp package on there and I didn't have the connectivity issues.

Can't make, even though I've tried the recommendations a installer usb for win from my ubuntu/linux crossed os I'm on since Sat. I wiped my backup to run another distro "Live". Will get it tonight after 10:30 So my second coffee hasn't even been brewed yet today.

Plan on letting win offend and mfst antimalware run all it wants and got to an old well-known solution WFN, Windows Firewall Notifier. It will let me use the stock firewall interactively. My sub is almost up for ESET and I might not even use it again. Been with them since XP, but their firewall even when I use a password to protect the settings cant override msft.

They change my settings overnight! Oh my wifi and bluetooth is locked down (white listed) so nobody else has access to my stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

boy, do I feel blonde.....

I did a little programming, back in the early 70's... Basic, COBOL, Fortan. I discovered that linear thought is not my forte.

Now I just let someone else worry about that stuff

I don’t usually touch a computer unless I’m forced to.

Like at my job as an IT sysadmin.

😂

• Like 3