Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

18 minutes ago, OO1 said:

how about an American hand made  Masterpiece 

ford-gt.jpg

That's one I'd agree with you on!!!

Gorgeous, and since that Stainless Steel DeLorian gave me w--- when I rode in it when I was a teen I know that would even with me taking Coreg now.

I've got a Rancilio Rocky coffee grinder that's the last one I'll ever have to buy!

• Haha 1

There I sit in the middle of the night at 72 F, listening to music for the first time in many weeks, the tt is spinning Mike Oldfield´s " AMAROK " . My hearing first has to get used to sound in a sonorous way again. I have built so many cables in the last few weeks, it was no fun when everything runs under time pressure and you no longer come to listen to music yourself.

Somehow strange. Everything is somehow strange, after Covid, everything tastes different, smells different, already strange.Long Covid ? My doctor has that under control.  Yes, the last few weeks were not so funny. The big school vacations are now over, everything goes its way again. Yes the summer, for over 6 weeks no more rain, during the day up to 105 F . Germany's largest and most important transport river, the Rhine River, has low water, shipping must be stopped, the forests are burning, the otherwise green grasslands have turned into steppes, the trees are dying. One is already thinking about the development of mankind and the general global climatic, economic and security situation. There are no particularly better times ahead.  

• Like 3

Yep it's the same all over if you're not an elite sob! They're not hurt by it yet & think they're immune.

Idaho is short on potatos I read today. Not good, and I've realized stuff like that since last year.

Glad y'all are getting better bro!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MicroMara said:

The big school vacations are now over, everything goes its way again. Yes the summer, for over 6 weeks no more rain, during the day up to 105 F. Germany's largest and most important transport river, the Rhine River, has low water, shipping must be stopped, the forests are burning, the otherwise green grasslands have turned into steppes, the trees are dying. One is already thinking about the development of mankind and the general global climatic, economic and security situation. There are no particularly better times ahead.  

It’s amazing that it took only about 200 years to poison our own home so badly.  Industrialism and capitalism made us very comfortable and well-entertained, but it involved, and continues to involve, so many short-sighted decisions.  When companies went from being owned by their founders, people of vision who would think of the long-term health of the company, and sometimes even its employees, things were better.  Many of the problems began, or became worse, when boards of directors took over.  Their only goal was that each quarter-year must earn more than the last one.  This made them very rich, and hurt everyone else.  Now the costs of that thinking are finally impossible not to see.  You can’t have ongoing and maybe infinite growth on a finite planet.  That should be obvious to anyone, but it doesn’t seem to be.

However, things can be improved.  Remember the deadly “pea soup fogs” London, England, had in the 1950s?  The worst one, The Great Smog, lasted only five days, just Friday to Tuesday, December 5-9, 1952, but it killed thousands of Londoners in that brief time, and many more suffered permanent lung damage, which shortened their lives.  Around 4,000 people in that one city died in those few days because of that poisoned air, apart from those who died of more usual causes, and present-day estimates rank the total number of smog deaths to have been around 12,000.

This was a problem that had been building up for centuries, with many complaints in the 1600s, and some going even further back.  Industrialization made the problem much worse, but even then it took a disaster like The Great Smog to finally spur the government to take serious action.

However, look at London today.  Those fogs and smogs are just a memory of the mid-Twentieth Century.  That success story gives me hope that the current problems can be overcome.  The main issue is the scale of the climate problems.  It took a long time for the world to get this bad, and it could take a century to restore the seas and skies of the planet to, say, fairly clean 16th Century conditions.  Our children are sharing the conditions that we experience.  It’s our grandchildren and their children who will live through the worst of it.

Of course, the fact that Earth’s population of humans tripled in a single lifetime (1950-2015 = 2.5 billion - 7.5 billion), is a big part of the problem.  Those 5 billion people born after many of us have the same needs for food, clothing, shelter, and transportation as the rest of us.  We have to reduce the demands we make on the soil, the plants, the air around us, the seas around us, all these things, or we could have a drastic population crash, preceded by brutal and bloody “climate wars”, as large parts of the world, in a band around the world, centred on the Equator, become unliveable, and continue to expand.

All our finest scientists and statesmen (and not many politicians are statesmen and stateswomen) living today can do is chart out the start of what is needed to begin the recovery, in the few decades remaining in their lives.  Big and possibly painful (to us relatively rich world citizens) changes have to be made, starting yesterday, because the less fortunate are suffering and dying today, from the conditions caused by the decisions that made you and me so comfortable.

Just as the Stone Age didn’t end because our ancestors ran out of stone, we don’t have to wait to run out of oil to end the Oil Age.  We’ll find other ways to do things, and the sooner the better.

But you already knew that. 

BTW, I just learned that they were called pea soup fogs because of their yellowish colour.  The smogs were caused by the almost universal use of coal for heating and factory processes, and the soot particulates attached to water droplets in the air.  At some points, the smogs were so thick that people looking at the ground couldn’t see their own feet.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

things are getting kinda scary

That's an understatement. If you look around without bias and see what's going on in all aspects of life it should terrify you.

So put on some of your favorite music and enjoy. ;)

• Like 5

Finally ...the heat wave is over, we have currently at 6.55 pm. around the 73F, it is slightly windy as well as cloudy. A relief after these days of heat paralysis. Finally oxygen again in the forest air around the house. Wonderful. Unfortunately, however, thunderstorms were announced, in 2 days it should go off. Hopefully it comes thereby not again to catastrophes like the flooding of the Ahtal Vally with over 140 dead, like last year.

• Like 5

Crazy weather the past few days around here.  Cool and in the mid 70's but dropping down to low/mid 50's at night.  Today the warm up starts again.  Just in time for the annual Bratwurst Festival, which starts Thursday and ends Saturday night.  Don't start George!  Just 250k people here in Duckburg in 3 days.  3 stages on the main drag and plenty of fun for everyone.  It's a PITA and nothing like the real German festival but, in all, it's a pretty good time. 

I'll just grill some brats here and avoid the lines @ the stands.  One 3 day rule though is every club or concession stand must offer bratwurst so you get some different makers to choose from.  I've finally found a guy who makes the old style brats I grew up with as a kid until the guys passed away and took the recipe with them.  A buck back in the day 45 years ago to $4.50 today.  Yea, I'll just stick close to home and avoid the rush!  I never know who's gonna swing by for a cold Heineken.  It'll sort!  :)  

• Like 2

Enjoy it man!

Love Bratwurst, Kraut & Brown Mustard.

Even without beer now-a-days... but not without pickles or s cream and onion chips... there are good dill pickle chips made by more than just that local flavor I knew long ago out now also.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Those are making me hungry!

hehehe

Shouldn't have skimped on lunch, ravioli tonight!

Just finished another speaker cable works ...LoL   ...LoL ....LoL ...

I picked plums in the garden yesterday and directly baked a fresh plum cake. My wife was thrilled. Got hold of a piece earlier, as a dessert to the Diabolo Pizza 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

" thüringer bratwurst "

Ours are half that size @ $4.50 US from the vendors downtown.  About $7 per pack of 4.  

Many from around hee have German roots so the butchers all had their recipes.  I can think of 4 right now from 60 years ago.  Today there's one.  It was handed down to the two grand daughters of the original owners.  They sell about 4 tons of brats in 3 days to the vendors and thru their market.  Wait, let me get my calculator...  😂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

T-storms can be brutal to tragic depending on the size and duration.

We get brutal to tragic... but, most of the time our "thunderstorms" are more of a thunder cloud and are  a tempest in a teapot. I call them popcorn storms and can be rather entertaining... We don't [generally] get the black wall of death t-storms midwesterners are more familiar with.

• Like 3

Two places I've lived in my life had fresh bodies of water nearby. CLT then here near the east coast Death Valley.

Here much more than a river and a lake both north and south, it's an envelopment almost by Lake Hartwell and what's connected. So heat makes the dark cumulus clouds build all day, then we get the furious ones. 

Nothing like the spring of `83 or `84 when there was one of those historic outbreaks of twisters.  Not in a long time. Worked at a sub shop on the Buford Hwy across from Peachtree/Dekalb Airport. It was a Cessna and Leer Jet sized airport. We saw a big one flipping planes, tossing/smashing them like a kid with some Matchbox's. Told the folks eating to come back behind the counter away from all the glass.

Got to have the rain, I like it better when there's no cleanup afterwards!

• Like 3