Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

21 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Tell me about this "Diablo Pizza"

spicy sausage or peppers? maybe both?

lot´s of tomatosauce and pepperoni not too hot, turkish spicy salami, red bell peppers , garlic, onions,chester cheese, spices for pizza, pizza dough....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pizza's bankroll this town w/6 places.  I'm good with a couple of the better places in town but once a a while I load up on frozen ones at the store.  I lean towards Paul Newman's brand a lot for the pizza's, spaghetti sauces and salsa.

When I was shooting I'd fill in for Associated Press  when they needed me so long ago I picked up the Indy car circuit @ Mid-Ohio which is about 20 miles away from me.  Paul Newman was the assignment so I knew what time he was going to drive his car for a while.  Not an indy car but a Nissan I think.  I shot two pics of him in the car before he went out.  He said you only took two how do you know you got a good pic of me?  I laffed  and said you drive and I'll shoot cause you're time is more important than mine.  You'll be good!  He invited me over to his bus to eat then hit the course.  Had something for me to try he said.  

Every year until he passed  I'd migrate to the bus to eat and sample his new stuff.  He was a proud papa and told me about his new pizza he was going to come out with when his sales were strong enough to support two of his pizza's.  He sat down with me several times and talked about his battle plan and  how it was going to continue after he was gone.  He was one smart cookie when it came to business.  I just had the first pizza from his new line last night.  Killer and just like he described it.  Totally different crust with some added different cheeses.  It was going to be made in Italy and shipped to the US, which I thought was nuts.  Yup, the one I had was marked "made in Italy." on it.

Even though I sat here chewing on it I was amazed when I saw the box and realized what he said was gonna happen actually happened after his death.  Sure it costs more but he said people would pay the price because it was great and different.  That it is.  Try one.  In a green box w/the rest of his pizza's.  Carry on! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is 9.pm , we have 75 F , it was again expectedly hot today. I'm still sitting on the high terrace in front of my music room , have just made preparations for the shipment of speaker cables tomorrow ,. What is gone is gone I always say ...then I have more time tomorrow for other things. There is always something to do at the house, in the garden, on the vehicles...We are waiting for the big rain........

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

When I was shooting I'd fill in for Associated Press  when they needed me so long ago I picked up the Indy car circuit @ Mid-Ohio which is about 20 miles away from me.  Paul Newman was the assignment so I knew what time he was going to drive his car for a while.  Not an indy car but a Nissan I think. 

Back in the day when racing at Sebring, most of us stayed at the Kenilworth Hotel. It was an old Florida grand hotel. Paul Newman always got the bridal suite which was much nicer than the 3d floor rooms with no a/c where I usually ended up. The rest of the year when SCCA races were at Sebring, it was a “catfight” to reserve the bridal suite so the lucky wife could say she slept in same bed as Paul Newman. Ah, the good old days…

BTW, as I recall he was racing a Datsun 510 sedan at time you mention. Great car.

• Like 4

When I searched after posting that I found a HOT recipe. I've had some salami that was spicy before at a NY Deli back home... real Reubins were what I got there all the time. Check out the peppers in this Diablo Pizza

1 packet active dry yeast

1 cup warm water

3 cups flour, plus more for dusting

1 teaspoon salt

Olive oil
Sauce:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon dried ground bhut jolokia (ghost) peppers

1 tablespoon dried ground habanero pepper

1 tablespoon dried ground jalapeno pepper

1 tablespoon dried ground red savina pepper
Toppings:

8 ounces shredded mozzarella

Fresh sliced habanero peppers

Fresh sliced jalapeno peppers

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That one looks like it still has the lacquer on it!

And rocker panels; poor things were rust buckets. And its Pete Brock designed spook (aka front spoiler). The 510 & 240Z would literally become airborne at speed so he created the front lower lip for the cars. $40 in 1970 dollars in black gelcoat as I rrecall.  BTW, Pete was also the fellow who came up with side rocker stripes for Mustangs (among other things like stuffing an Olds V8 into a VW combi to haul his bikes)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

He was one smart cookie when it came to business.

And as you said, great products. And an awesome story!

I think there are other actors and actresses who can seem like normal folk. Tom Hanks is probably in that group.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, Invidiosulus said:

I finally got my shop speakers sorted out this past weekend.

FE26284A-C790-4357-9F42-41E8752856CB.thumb.jpeg.51f5eac8a7d1c98206ac964e6c571cab.jpeg

I made some racks for longer lumber as well.

241BBCD3-263A-4D7F-8103-42639CFD5B53.thumb.jpeg.a1fe67d85692a85d6e23e29a7a932bfb.jpeg

and then we had a picnic by the lake Sunday afternoon and stopped by our favorite overlook on the way home.04BD7C4E-1092-4D20-8535-30C2158369FC.thumb.jpeg.3add474eb2ed62d52d300983257cea74.jpeg

Glad to know the RA-100 still works. That has a little transformer hum, doesn't it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

When I searched after posting that I found a HOT recipe

that sounds warm.

--------------------------

I had a Datsun 510. I loved that little car.

Been "busy the last couple days. Spent the day in bed, yesterday. Was "sick to my stomach". Day before... we had a problem with the refrigerator. Freezer was frozen and fridge was warm. I spent more time trying to explain to my wife how that happens than defrosting the cooling coils. After "resting" all day, yesterday... mowed the lawn and finished the fridge... Pull it out and vac the lower coild, motor and all. I'm gonna pay for this. 

Spotify was giving me no commercials, so, I spent some time enjoying it on the "big" stereo. I love my LaScalas.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

that sounds warm.

I had a Datsun 510. I loved that little car.

we had a Candy Apple   510 ,  the punishment  the  car  could withstand would destroy  sports  cars  , but this was  just a  regular car  .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

BTW, as I recall he was racing a Datsun 510 sedan at time you mention. Great car.

Nope, he was driving a Z car.  White with red and blue stripes on it.  Maybe he just wanted to talk that day.  I dunno.  People told me he didn't liked to be photographed cause they all wanted those blue eyes of his.  Pfffft, just another driver in my book and $50 in my pocket.  He won his race that day too so he was in a good mood post race.  He drove that thing hard from start to finish as I recall.  I slipped up in the tower and checked him out.  He didn't back off for anyone.

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

And as you said, great products. And an awesome story!

Give that pizza a try!  Amazed me cause I thought he was whacked then there it was!

• Like 2

NOTHING like this has happened up on the North Coast that I know of.  Mostly people barfing from some of the rides but... The Ferris Wheel?  145' up and one of the tallest in the US?  😂

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/news/2022/08/16/couple-arrested-cedar-point-having-sex-ferris-wheel/65406564007/ 

Whoda thunk it???  😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

Glad to know the RA-100 still works. That has a little transformer hum, doesn't it?

If it does have some mechanical hum, it’s not an issue out in the shop.

I ran this on my desk for a while with the Monitor One’s and don’t recall any hum.

I seem to recall that only one of the RA -100’s had that issue and you kept the one that didn’t.

I’ve got some little Fostex pm0.4d on my desk now and the Monitor One’s are on the shelf although the Alesis sound better.

7 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

.  Pfffft, just another driver in my book and $50 in my pocket.  

I forgot he raced a Z car.

That reminds me of a story a professional photographer friend told me. He lived on the east coast and said I can photograph tubers on the river or yachtsmen on the sound, but tubers won't pay $75 for a photgraph of themselves.

• Like 2

last time I paid for pics of myself.... school photos. And I don't remember them costing $75.

Our wedding photog was a wildlife photographer [appropriate] and did it for free.

My Datsun 510's name was Animal. It was stock. What a fun car. 100HP in a car that size.... you can want more.. need? Not really

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

My Datsun 510's name was Animal. It was stock. What a fun car. 100HP in a car that size.... you can want more.. need? Not really

Yes.

We had a Datsun dealer in Kansas City affiliated with Bob Sharp Racing; you could get the 2 liter engine and 5 speed from a Datsun 2000 installed in your 510 with a racing suspension AND a factory warranty. Once you drove one, you went looking for Alfas, TRs, MGs and BMWs...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The days of "Pro Photographers" are just about done I think.  I gave it up when I saw kids from Japan showing up en mass on the Ohio State Football sidelines had every piece of Nikon gear they made.  Much cheaper in Japan and many of them had parents who worked for Nikon so it was even cheaper/free or dirt cheap.  

They had the best and newest auto focus gear you could buy.  Not me Sherlock, I know when to say when.

One of the guys I know jumped in with them and he always had the latest and greatest.  Thing was he got told the University didn't need him and they were pulling his passes last year.  No explanation other than they were changing things w/the photographers.  Even the guys from large papers weren't going to get two passes like they used to.

Today the University is providing the majority of the photos released to papers.  The kids w/the gear and the OSU/MI game a couple years ago when Braxton Miller the OSU QB got hit in the knee w/someone's gear walking by him just prior to the game. 

It also gives those Journalism/Photo majors an opportunity to build a resume.  Another thing that comes into play is all of us "old guys" shot primarily in Back & White AND WE kept our negatives.  An envelope full of pics for the guys workin the parking lot will ALWAYS get you a great parking spot!   :)   

The Uni wanted the negatives so they could put them into their athletic photo archive so they could sell reprints to the public.  Seriously?  I was asked many times for my negatives and sat on them.  Ha!  Today B&W or color w/one stroke on the keyboard.  We're done unless you've got 40k to spend.

Wedding photos?  NP cause uncle Charlie has his cell and is gonna cut your throat after you set the shots up.  Practically zero reprints so no money to be made there.  

Toast!  Done!  

I'd have done yours for free Bill.  😂  😂  Family rate!  😎

• Like 2