Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Evening @MicroMara like Marzipan?

The description stated this brand says they do it best!

PXL-20220930-185408411.jpg

Of course I love Lübecker marzipan , Lübeck it a very old Hanseatic city very on the Baltic Sea . The marzipan world famous. I was stationed there as a soldier.

luebecker-bucht1.thumb.jpg.a90a5d9d6ecbd18b86baa0079a935e4b.jpg

949858761_Lbeck2.thumb.jpg.4a0d95761f2675dc1bd2f1ed48da9c39.jpg

1259988134_Lbeck3.jpg.99efa85cc13b05c14d24d69af70657e2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are things that just happen . I had heated oil in a pan, made a glass lid on the pan, was briefly distracted and saw how strong smoke formed under the glass lid. Immediately I took the pan off the stove, took down the glass lid , by the oxygen the pan began to burn. The flames beat higher and higher. My son wanted to extinguish the fire in the pan with water, no I let that be, meanwhile the smoke detectors were already beeping in the house, panic broke out. I saw a large pillow and took this to smother the flames in the pan . That worked. Unfortunately, I got very bad burns on the right hand. We have ointments in our home pharmacy to soothe the burns. Nevertheless, I have very severe pain. But I can also use the laptop with my left hand, so I can write.  

hand.thumb.jpg.0f349c0238903fd7182dc776cb0d8cdb.jpg

hand1.thumb.jpg.57ee1bd2f9b1aedcf2e32077cceb5a34.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

On 8/31/2022 at 8:32 AM, grasshopper said:

Mornin' All

I guess it's OK to fire up the music. The AirForce broke the silence....

... and noise limitations... air-to-air combat training. They are not "just passing thru"... this happens over town.

surprised that I am mobile this AM after cutting weeds yesterday.

I had to laugh... The wife brought a "slab of silver" home from her sister's... to keep SIL's riff-raff friends from stealing it.

She was showing it to me.... Strange for an ingot to have an edge and a tang.... turns out that it is a blade broken from a meat cleaver..... no, it is not silver... or even plated.

Silver is so cheap, ever since the Hunt brothers stopped messing with the prices in order to make themselves even richer, that it's not worth stealing or fighting over.  A 10 ounce bar is about the size of a smallish soap bar, but much larger than a hotel soap.  Back in the Eighties, the Hunts managed to drive the prices up to $120/oz but then they dropped, to $60, then $30, then $20, and finally to $6/oz. I bought some on the way down, hoping for a rebound that never happened.  I wound up giving some 10 ounce bars for Christmas presents to some family members, who probably keep them in the bottom of some drawer.

For reference, a 10 ounce bar looks like a casting.  It's a dull silver colour, naturally, and not finely finished, because buffing off the rough bits would change the weight, of course.  Today, it's worth around $20/oz, so even a 10 ounce ingot/bar is only worth $200.  And it doesn't look at all like a knife blade...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2022 at 12:32 PM, MicroMara said:

There are things that just happen . I had heated oil in a pan, made a glass lid on the pan, was briefly distracted and saw how strong smoke formed under the glass lid. Immediately I took the pan off the stove, took down the glass lid , by the oxygen the pan began to burn. The flames beat higher and higher. My son wanted to extinguish the fire in the pan with water, no I let that be, meanwhile the smoke detectors were already beeping in the house, panic broke out. I saw a large pillow and took this to smother the flames in the pan . That worked. Unfortunately, I got very bad burns on the right hand. We have ointments in our home pharmacy to soothe the burns. Nevertheless, I have very severe pain. But I can also use the laptop with my left hand, so I can write.  

hand.thumb.jpg.0f349c0238903fd7182dc776cb0d8cdb.jpg

hand1.thumb.jpg.57ee1bd2f9b1aedcf2e32077cceb5a34.jpg

OW!  That's no fun at all.  Good call to use the pillow to put out the fire.  Putting water on an oil fire is one of the worst things you can do, as it splatters burning oil in all directions, and can even cause an explosion.  There are fire safety videos on YouTube that show this.  Putting the lid back on the pan would have worked, too, as long as the fire snuffed out before the glass overheated and cracked.  In the same way, if the fire is in a pot or pan, put the lid on right away, and leave it on until things cool, or for a few minutes at least, so that you don't get it flaring up a second time, because the pot/pan is still hot enough for ignition, and is just waiting for some oxygen.

You can get fire blankets for the kitchen.  They come in a quick-release holder that you attach to the wall, and in the event of a fire, you can pull it out quickly and cover the fire with the fire-resistant and air-blocking blanket.  In some cases, it could even be safer than using an extinguisher.

I hope your burns aren't too serious and heal quickly.  I recommend using Vitamin E cream or oil on the affected areas, because it will help to speed the healing and reduce any scarring.  Just put it on once or twice a day, until the skin is fully healed.  It works on surgery scars too, reducing the redness, in some cases leaving the scar skin-coloured instead of red, so it's barely noticeable.

Fire blankets are really inexpensive, don't expire, and can be reused.  Just like a fire extinguisher, it can be a good idea to keep it at some distance from the stove, like across the room.  Here's an Aussie Fire Chief explaining how to use one:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Today , 3rd.of october , we celebrate the 33rd. anniversary from the german re-unification . Time to say again " Thank you to our alley The untited states of America " and especially Ronald Reagan with his historical speech " tear down this wall " in Berlin

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Time to say again " Thank you to our ally The United States of America " and especially Ronald Reagan with his historical speech " tear down this wall " in 

I am proud to be an American and The United States of America works best when we have global allies like Germany helping us achieve our shared Goals!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

the blade is prolly worth more... 

@MicroMara

Yow!!! 

Take care of that. 

Back to ignoring the phone. 23 junk calls Thurs. 

"Congratulations... You are the lucky 17th caller in WKRP's cash giveaway. Say the phrase that pays to win $1000"

thanx @grasshopper , junk calls are a disease here as well

• Like 2