Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

First frost way earlier than average here.  But maybe that's why its an average.

The past two days are the first time this year we have really really needed the furnace running.

It was 20° when I put the kids on the bus this morning.

We got our first sign of snow yesterday morning as well with a teeny bit of frozen precipitation.

Way later for this sort of thing than normal.

• Like 3

Our mid twenties for lows got moved up to Thurs night??

Disagree, when it comes after midnight Thursday that means it is Friday. Still cool and rainy again now.

Had leftover coffee today so I'm having a snack after my meal. Cherry Stollen that's different from what my Aunt made but it's the German way with marzipan in it! At the end of the loaf it isn't all the way across.

PXL-20221115-184008499.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Thirty's right now here.  That's nuts.  Alllllll week "they" say.

And if you had the precip I've got here today you'd have a half foot of snow right now. 43 now don't think it will go higher, but 60 is nice in my listening zone. Don't even know if you wanna know who's been jammin' here besides Pantera today!

• Haha 1

got up to stoke the fire and go to the bathroom... then 

2 explosions... no.. not beans

Went outside to see the sky lit with red embers. A house fire about 4 blocks away and next door to my SIL's... Hope everyone is OK. I doubt it, though. I don't hear more sirens. First time I have called 911.

--------------------------

on a lighter note.

I am devolving. After watching the bread machine make bread, I got a stand mixer.... watched it do its magic...  decided to try it by hand.

it worked. Came out good. Still need some practice forming loaves...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

I wanna learn how to make sourdough bread.

I may have posted about it before but this is a great book with excellent info and recipes.

1F2D8987-D507-4B68-8A58-3890F0298577.thumb.jpeg.eb9be34f680c010b872d5e84a8f44307.jpeg

I ground my own grain and made fresh sourdough for a number of years.

it’s really good stuff and I should get back into it.

About every 600-800 or so loaves I’d have to replace the metal worm drive gear ⚙️ In my Kitchenaid Professional.

Not a bad job but even with some good food grade grease the gears seemed to wear down pretty consistently with that kind of a load.

• Like 3

Nothing better than fresh baked sourdough bread.  That book looks great.

Not much shakin around here but it sure is cold.  @dirtmuddyou in that snow removal mode cause it's comin.  Too early for that garbage.  Gonna slip up and put the flannel sheets on.  Temps are goin waaaay down for this time of the year.

Hope your SIL and those involved are safe Bill.  Stuff like that is crazy.  I won't get into the beans n stuff.  Although...   :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 4:14 PM, Dave1291 said:

Nothing better than fresh baked sourdough bread.  That book looks great.

Not much shakin around here but it sure is cold.  @dirtmuddyou in that snow removal mode cause it's comin.  Too early for that garbage.  Gonna slip up and put the flannel sheets on.  Temps are goin waaaay down for this time of the year.

Hope your SIL and those involved are safe Bill.  Stuff like that is crazy.  I won't get into the beans n stuff.  Although...   :)

not much snow only a dusting ..

But it feels like the dead of winter.. it's cold out there

Come from the warm weather a week or so ago in the 80s..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm just drinking a hot chai tea. It's been some time since I reported what I'm doing ...so far I'm first quite healthy again! Of course it´s season to build audio cables , but not business as usual. My new 16 x awg 18 Loudspeaker cable developement is well asked by my hifi friends. I sent some prototypes arround and getting stunning reply and new orders. 

We have a very mild autumn, partly around 70 Fb at day, very sunny, the forests dipped in bright colors. Now it is much colder max 23F during the day .At 4 : 15 pm is already breaking dawn , at night we already have the first strong  ground frost. I was on the road a lot, mainly in the Netherlands on the coast in the last couple of days. My daughter is currently in Berlin . All´s fine so far .  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi all

Good to see a post from you @MicroMara

today has been a balance

We bought a new refrigerator and stove. They were delivered at 9AM. It was fun watching people work, instead of being the one watched...

The phone repair... a tech [actually the tech's supervisor] was working on it yesterday. Now, it doesn't work at all ... any time. It was working after things warmed in the AM... no mas. At least I'm not getting phone solicitors.

The fuel line for my chainsaw arrived, too. Let's just say... I would have much rather had the shop do the repair.... except, I am not planning to go to Tucson twice next week. I hate working on chainsaws. I'm not too keen on working on motors, in general. Chainsaws are the worst that I have dealt with. Dirty, nasty even after you clean them. They pack 2lb of stuff into a one pound box and linkages jangle off while you are dealing with anything else. If you are trying to remove that link, you have to tear the whole machine apart... They are Chinese puzzles covered in sawdust and oil.

in hindsight

I proly could have made 2 trips to Tucson in the time spent doing the work myself. Not to mention the frustration. Mental note taken

• Like 3