Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

getting back to basics

Made bread today. Came out good, again. Guess I've got a handle on bread by hand.

Next challenge is tortillas. Many years ago, a friend's grandmother was gonna teach me to make them... I was too young and stupid to take her up on it.

the new appliances

It was tough finding ones w/o computers.  We didn't want anything too sophisticated.

The stove does have a digital clock/timer and a start button that you need to push to operate the oven/broiler and the timer.... and a stop/cancel button.  Not sure if I like that... I need to use it more before I decide.

• Like 3

Welcome back George!  Sounds like you survived that whirlwind tour again. 

@grasshopperNo phone service wouldn't bother me. 

Low tech is the way to go on just about everything IF you can find what your looking for.  These places today are taking everyone another place even though they don't want to go there.

Chainsaws?  The kid next door is an electrical engineer so everything he buys is electric.  He was out trimming bushes then blowing the yard w/battery operated tools.  I did see Stihl had an electric model out.  Just crazy to even think about using an electric chainsaw.  George would prolly approve since Stihl is a German company.  It's all I run and no problemo's so far.  

There is the tried and true ax yanno.

Godof War Cutting Down Tree Scene GIF - Godof War Cutting Down Tree Scene Icos GIFs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

electric chainsaw

we got a couple corded models with the contents of this house.

I don't think they are as safe as gas. No clutch on the ones we have... no chain brake... they coast down when you let go of the trigger... and they are much heavier than a comparable gas model

I don't mind not having phone... but... I when needed to call 911 about the fire and I had to find/use the wife's cell phone.

I do not miss the solicitors.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

George would prolly approve since Stihl is a German company.  It's all I run and no problemo's so far.  

I've had a Stihl for quite a number of years... and I need to get it serviced. I have a good friend who works on all manner of tools, but I just haven't dug it out of where it's stored.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

what's the company slogan?

Pissing off the neighbors since...

you  cant piss off the neighbors with Lascala's  unless you own  2 pairs  :rolleyes: , I tried , but Cornwalls no problem .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I've had a Stihl for quite a number of years.

my gas saw is a little Stihl. I've had it for a few years.....20+.. It's a great little machine. I abuse the hell out of it. Oak and mesquite are firewood.

there's a shop in Tucson that I like/trust. I just don't go to Tucson unless I absolutely have to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

George would prolly approve since Stihl is a German company. 

Stihl is a German industrial company operating in more than 160 countries with headquarters in Waiblingen-Neustadt near Stuttgart.  The family-owned company develops, manufactures and sells engine-powered equipment for forestry, gardening, landscaping and construction

• Like 3

Picked up a nice lil 24" minty Stihl Chainsaw from a woman having a garage sale.  $50  I asked what was wrong with it and she said her husband couldn't start it.  She said he wasn't home but I could stop back tomorrow and talk to him about it.  I paid her and ran!  :)

Change the plug and yank it!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Picked up a nice lil 24" minty Stihl Chainsaw from a woman having a garage sale.  $50  I asked what was wrong with it and she said her husband couldn't start it.  She said he wasn't home but I could stop back tomorrow and talk to him about it.  I paid her and ran!  :)

Change the plug and yank it!  

I see a lot of people keep trying to start it with the choke fully on and they just keep flooding it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

I see a lot of people keep trying to start it with the choke fully on and they just keep flooding it. 

there is some technique in starting a 2 stroke. Full choke until it pops. Set it to half choke... a pull or two, it should start.

I think your dinner was better than mine.

I did a quick. Sauteed peppers and carrots with shrimp over rice. Wife conceded that pasta would have been better. She generally prefers rice.

.....plus the rice was already cooked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I think we broke the telephone system... err... the tech's supervisor did. They say we won't have service until the 26th. He fixed it good. The service center says there is an area wide outage now....

Welcome to the Third World:)

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

All my Stihl gear works just peachy.  About 2 pulls and it runs.  That works for me.

Crashed about 3 last nite, peeked at the clock about 430 then rolled out at 1.  1230 now so here I go again.  Heading to the crib shortly cause this is nuts!  

whatsamatta with you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1