Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

watching Naked and Afraid... "OK Boomer"... the episode shot down here....

I wonder if there are boundaries set for the "contestants" travel... besides not pillaging the film crew's food....

These folks could walk out of where they are . It is only a few miles to paved road. To be fair, it was shot post rainy season and it coulda/shoulda been much greener, except we had a failed monsoon that year.

....if you care to look at this episode... .You will see that this is not hard core desert here. As far as deserts go, it is lush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

watching Naked and Afraid... "OK Boomer"... the episode shot down here....

I wonder if there are boundaries set for the "contestants" travel... besides not pillaging the film crew's food....

These folks could walk out of where they are . It is only a few miles to paved road. To be fair, it was shot post rainy season and it coulda/shoulda been much greener, except we had a failed monsoon that year.

....if you care to look at this episode... .You will see that this is not hard core desert here. As far as deserts go, it is lush.

Reality TV isn’t real.

As long as there is a separate film crew then I don’t buy into it ever being that remote.

A friend of mine won an episode of History Channels show Forged in Fire a while back.

While he did forge the winning sword, he said the way the whole thing is presented and the editing really hypes stuff up in a way that ignores reality, lots of fake bleeped words etc.

One of the former judges from the show is also a distant acquaintance and he’s stated that he won’t go back to the show because of all the “reality tv BS” that goes on.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

“reality tv BS” that goes on.

I watched a Mick Dodge.... roughing it on the Olympic Peninsula [WA]. He went night fishing for salmon. He caught one, of course.... it came out of the water gutted and gilled.

most of the drama is made for tv.

It eclipsed fresh this AM....  Accuweather said 21`F. I don't know where the get their readings, but, it is usually 5  - 10` higher than here. It did make 53`....still cold for us. Average is 65 - 70..

I hate cold

boy is still working on his water pump. He did find the hole for the extra bolt. It was to the alternator bracket. Now he's working on coolant leaking from hose connections. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went out a couple times.... just to see.

I got close enough, to have to wash my hands. I will give credit to the people who engineered these things.  I bet they made those wire [that's the best I can describe w/o violating PC] puzzles for fun.

I tried to brace him for a fight. I just remember doing the one in my dad's '68 [?] Ford LTD, 

Deja vu, all over again

• Haha 1

My ‘89 Suzuki Carry needs a water pump.

The engine is underneath the drivers/passenger seat and I’m not really looking forward to trying to access it.

07DC91D9-7F93-4278-A3E6-8E3B506DA8CF.thumb.jpeg.b476f4e27d599e0ad6f250d7c0faf5a1.jpeg

The water pump on my old Volvo wasn’t too bad. 

I think I did one on my Kia Rio the first time I did the timing belt.

The replacement timing belt on the Kia ended up letting go and bent a couple valves in the process so I had to replace the head. Not a terrible job but fwd stuff tends to be kind of cramped.

• Like 2

I make my living turning wrenches. Have off and on for going on 40 years in one way or another. These days things tend to be easier to actually work on albeit far more complicated. No matter what some things have always been a tad fiddly to get back together properly. Just 'cause it bolts up and looks OK doesn't mean it's right. Manufacturers are actually making low maintenance a feature.

That being said I am loathe to work on my own junk these days. I resist making modifications and spend more up front to get what I want in the first place. Can ya tell I gotta pull the Harley in for a tire today?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

boy said the water pump was inexpensive to buy. It was cheap entertainment... for me. 

This sounds like some of @Marvel ‘s comments when I was swapping the auto>manual transmission in my station wagon before I had even learned to drive a stick shift.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I spent yesterday hovering around the fireplace/stove. 50` might sound warm ... to you.

for desert rats BRRRRRRRR

I expect to see sub 20`F this AM. 

I entertained myself by flicking my bic at the bed of coals and watching the little pieces of flint go off when they hit the coals.

...for a bigger thrill

we had a couple of dry mandarin orange peels on the stove.

toss one of those on the coals.... they flare up real good when the oils go off

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Calling for 3-5 here tomorrow.  Had to blow a couple inches out yesterday so here we go!  Gotta love the electric start on this big Cub Cadet blower I bought a couple years ago.  Figured I'd better go into my cover my rear mode when I bought it.  Climate change?  All I know is there isn't as much snow here as there as there used to be and my hands won't fit a snow shovel anymore.  Filled every gas can I have when the prices were low so bring it!    :)

Always nice when you can flip that calendar over to the month of Feb and even better when ya flip it to March.  No oranges here so ya just throw down all the vitamin C and D ya can.  😂

• Haha 3