Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

this will prove to be interesting

Just another day in the office!  :)

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

I wrapped a newspaper 'round my head So I looked like I was deep I said some mumbo-jumbo, then I told him he was going to sleep I robbed his rings and pocketwatch And everything else I found I had that sucker hypnotized He couldn't even make a sound I proceeded to tell him his future, then As long as he was hanging around I said the price of meat has just gone up And your old lady has just gone down

Mike's 💯

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Made a big difference with my old sealed Heresy IIs. You can take that to the bank.

Even though they didn't fit in a corner like K-Horns do it seemed to amplify both the spl and imaging some. I did not like them off the ground even though I tried it a couple times. It impeded their good sound pressure.

What John saw...

What I saw...   😂💯😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

1] How much difference does corner loading speakers make?

2] When placing bookshelf speakers... Does it make much difference if the speaker is on a stand as opposed to a shelf?

1 ) increases the bass volume approx from + 3 to + 6 dB

2 ) they sound better on a stand as beeing placed within a bookshelf

600derter.webp.b903dfb5db5549d033ac301686888c0a.webp

Advantage is a better room positioning in view to your listening place ...good idea to do that  👍

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Kind of what I've got going on @MicroMara 

What the little speakers lack is the down-low, got the sub working 18K to 45K and it's good enough!

that´s what they need to create a much more dynamic and bigger sound stage , bear that in mind @grasshopper

• Like 3

I want to put my LS in the cottage.... if wife will let me. Otherwise, I'll have to buy another pair.... or Khorns.... when I wanted to buy another pair of LS, said,"You already have some of those".. She may regret those words...

The cottage has corners. 

As far as bookshelf speakers. John.... my "speaker stands" are almost as elaborate as yours. 

drones as anti-personnel weapon. I have witnessed people flying their toys like that. You feel like you should be in a bunker... just the sound is intimidating

• Like 3

I have my LS in the corners, it’s great!

The bass response was better on my H1’s when they were on the floor backed up to a concrete block wall.

once I built some stands for them, which doubled as vinyl and cd storage, I thought they were a little bit top heavy.

Not a problem when I was still running a pair of JBL 4636 subs to fill out the low end a bit.

After selling/trading the subs to @Marvel I ended up adding a swamping resistor to the Type E and changing which taps were used on the autoformer to even things out a bit.

However, I’m thinking about putting the Type E’s back to stock(minus the leaky oil cans) once I get around to finishing the BFM tuba build(seen in the background of the altar rail pic up there somewhere^^^

My JBL L46 were much boomier when in the floor.

I actually prefer them as almost a near field monitor, giant headphone style.

The L46 are ported to the front so they worked well on a shelf against the wall above my desk.

I also have a pair of Marvel’s old Alesis Monitor One studio monitors.

they are rear ported which makes them a little trickier for placement.

Probably better on top of a mixing desk out in a room a little ways.

I have some Fostex powered monitors, PM0.4d which are the same as the Alesis, ported out the back.

The Fostex are pretty nice as computer speakers on my desk but I haven’t bothered to set them up and listen to them in a larger space with more distance between them and myself.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm sure you really mean 18-45Hz. Otherwise the dogs would be in a panic.

You're right man!

Still under the influence of snot-clearing drugs, sudafed this week. That does look odd seeing it reprinted.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

I have my HIIs up about 4 ft. They actually sound much better than when I had them on the floor tilted back.

20230126_100707~2.jpg

Looks similar to when I had my Heresy's on top of the Jubilee bass bins (using bass bins to add some meat to the bottom, worked fantastic)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coytee said:

Looks similar to when I had my Heresy's on top of the Jubilee bass bins (using bass bins to add some meat to the bottom, worked fantastic)

For the time being, my stands are empty boxes.

• Haha 2

30 and sunny now?  Amazing!  Wondering what that ground hog did this morning.  The lead story every Ground Hog Day around here.  One more month and then I might venture outside al bit more.  Might have to fire up the gas and throw some of these new lp's on.  Coffee is good though.  :)  

• Like 3