Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Gotta love my CPA.  Every year his rates go up so every year I whine a lil more.  The guy owns 10 Arby's and a few H&R Block's so this year I took a new approach.  He built his flagship Arby's on some land he bought to put his Tax business on a few years ago.  Since his rates go up every year I told him that he should start including a free lunch w/his appointments..  He laffed at me.  I'm done and heading out so I hit the drive-thru and took him and his secretary each a Reese's cookie I paid for.  He deserved it though since he knocked $100 off my bill this year.  😂  Yes Sir!

The REAL funny thing is I had my Klipsch 75th year hat on.  He said, you'll be proud to know I put in a Klipsch home theater system.  I said "Good boy."  He said I never would have known about them had it not been for you and your system.  I knew that's what you had so I wanted to hear it.  He said it sounds amazing.  So he got the invite to stop for a listen here, which he'll do.  Hooked another one!   😂

• Like 6

ON SALE EVERYWHERE (I think) Thursday and Friday!!! 

PETER GABRIEL  Hit his .com site for more info

Tickets on sale Thursday and Friday...  

Peter Gabriel

New shows in BOLD

Date City, State Venue  
8 September Quebec City, Quebec Videotron Centre  
9 September Ottawa, Ontario Canadian Tire Centre  
11 September Toronto, Ontario Scottiabank Arena  
13 September Montreal, Quebec Bell Centre  
14 September Boston, Massachusetts TD Garden  
16 September Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Wells Fargo Center  
18 September New York, New York Madison Square Garden  
20 September Washington, D.C Capital One Arena  
22 September Buffalo, New York KeyBank Center  
23 September Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania PPG Paints Arena  
25 September Colombus, Ohio Nationwide Arena  
27 September Cleveland, Ohio Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse  
29 September Detroit, Michigan Little Caesars Arena  
30 September Chicago, Illinois United Center  
2 October Milwaukee, Wisconsin Fiserv Forum  
3 October St. Paul, Minnesota Xcel Energy Center  
7 October Vancouver, British Columbia Rogers Arena  
8 October Seattle, Washington Climate Pledge Arena  
11 October San Francisco, California Chase Center  
13 October Los Angeles Kia Forum  
14 October Palm Springs, California Acrisure Arena  
16 October Denver, Colorado Ball Arena  
18 October Austin, Texas Moody Center  
19 October Dallas, Texas American Airlines Center  
21 October Hoston, Texas Toyota Center  

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 12:00 PM, Marvel said:

At least you came out better than this one:

IMG_0959.jpg

Is that suspension brace stock or aftermarket?  In any case, it tore loose from the firewall, but it looks like its attaching nut and bolt are still tight.  Also, the angle on the power steering pump is way out of whack relative to the fan and water pump.  Fascinating...

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 11:02 AM, Invidiosulus said:

Entering from the top left which is the higher elevation.

Downhill decreasing radius turns have to be among the worst for catching out inattentive drivers or riders.  Our sketchiest turn (in the Victoria area) has to be the almost-last (or, as the English say, "the penultimate turn") turn when travelling southbound on Malahat Drive.  Sounds innocuous, right?  Wrong!  Malahat Drive takes you over the Malahat, a mountain that's about 1100  feet/350 metres above sea level on the roadway, not the mountain-top, and alternates straight and curvy sections as it descends toward Victoria.

The turn I'm speaking of is preceded by a long downhill straight, five lanes wide, including the centre left turn lane.  Very near to the entrance to the turn, the highway narrows to three lanes, two northbound, and only one southbound.  At the same time, the surroundings on the right go from trees cut about 50 feet/15 metres back from the road, to the rocky face of the mountain, about 5 feet/1.5 metres from the road.  Your comfortable travelling speed goes from 75 mph/120 km/hr to 35 mph/ 60 km/hr, in what seems like 100 feet/ 30 metres.  Sure, you can go a bit faster, but I said comfortable, not hotdogger speed, and not if it's unexpected.

That turn really wakes you up if your mind had been wandering.  You suddenly realize why that semi/tractor-trailer that had been tailgating you dropped back a few seconds ago.  That turn is probably notorious among truckers, so they take extra care as they approach it.

For contrast, the safest highways I've seen have to be those in Japan.  The drivers are careful, proving that not all Asians are bad drivers.  As well, the curves are marked clearly, with hashmarks on the outside of every curve, and signs that mystified me at first.  They were marked R = 300, or R = 450, or R = 250 on the tighter curves.  Yes, they had signs indicating the radius of every curve, so you knew what to expect!  I was amazed!

Japan is a mountainous country, with many highway tunnels, but there are flashing lights to make you aware of the tunnel's entrance, plus about 90-95% of the drivers heed the signs asking them to put on their headlights, even on a sunny day, then they turn them off when leaving the tunnel.

In the city, though, don't hang around when your light turns green, or the guy behind you will beep his horn.  People in Tokyo don't have time to waste!

Okay, this is long enough.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Is that suspension brace stock or aftermarket?  In any case, it tore loose from the firewall, but it looks like its attaching nut and bolt are still tight.  Also, the angle on the power steering pump is way out of whack relative to the fan and water pump.  Fascinating...

yes and no.

The black tower to tower brace was aftermarket.

The small tower to firewall brace on each side was OE on the GT models(Volvo 240).

I was run off the interstate one night on my way to Marvel’s house to swap to my pickup truck(pictured up there ^^^ on its side).

The initial impact with a tree ripped the drivers side fender and subframe completely clean of the firewall before the car rolled several times and came to a stop upside down.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Yikes!  It always seems less serious when you come to a stop with the tires under you and not above you.  I hope your injuries were minor.  There was a time when a flipping car experience was often fatal.  Do you think there was any malicious intent, or was it just a case of other driver stupidness (ODS)?

Volvo?  That power steering fluid reservoir looks so much like a GM part that I got mistaken.  I guess there's so much cross-breeding nowadays that it's easy to make mistakes very often.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

ON SALE EVERYWHERE (I think) Thursday and Friday!!! 

PETER GABRIEL  Hit his .com site for more info

Tickets on sale Thursday and Friday...  

Peter Gabriel

New shows in BOLD

Date City, State Venue  
8 September Quebec City, Quebec Videotron Centre  
9 September Ottawa, Ontario Canadian Tire Centre  
11 September Toronto, Ontario Scottiabank Arena  
13 September Montreal, Quebec Bell Centre  
14 September Boston, Massachusetts TD Garden  
16 September Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Wells Fargo Center  
18 September New York, New York Madison Square Garden  
20 September Washington, D.C Capital One Arena  
22 September Buffalo, New York KeyBank Center  
23 September Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania PPG Paints Arena  
25 September Colombus, Ohio Nationwide Arena  
27 September Cleveland, Ohio Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse  
29 September Detroit, Michigan Little Caesars Arena  
30 September Chicago, Illinois United Center  
2 October Milwaukee, Wisconsin Fiserv Forum  
3 October St. Paul, Minnesota Xcel Energy Center  
7 October Vancouver, British Columbia Rogers Arena  
8 October Seattle, Washington Climate Pledge Arena  
11 October San Francisco, California Chase Center  
13 October Los Angeles Kia Forum  
14 October Palm Springs, California Acrisure Arena  
16 October Denver, Colorado Ball Arena  
18 October Austin, Texas Moody Center  
19 October Dallas, Texas American Airlines Center  
21 October Hoston, Texas Toyota Center  

STEVE HACKETT GENESIS REVISITED
FOXTROT AT FIFTY + HACKETT HIGHLIGHTS

Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights 2022 North America tour

* SCROLL DOWN FOR TOUR DATES!

Hot on the heels of his most successful solo tour ever, Steve Hackett announces his Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited - Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights tour for 2022/2023. The tour marks the 50th anniversary of the legendary Genesis album Foxtrot which, in 1972, was pivotal in establishing the band as a major force in British rock.

The Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited - Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights tour also promises more Genesis favourites and highlights from Hackett's extensive solo catalogue.

Tour Dates - 2023

3 October 2023 - Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, MONTREAL, QC, CANADA - TICKETS ONSALE: 24 March 2023

5 October 2023 - Massey Hall, TORONTO, ON, CANADA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: OPENER

6 October 2023 - State Theatre, ITHACA, NY, USA - TICKETS ONSALE: 24 March 2023

8 October 2023 - The Forum Theatre, BINGHAMTON, NY, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

10 October 2023 - Hart Theatre, ALBANY, NY, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

12 October 2023 - Wilbur Theatre, BOSTON, MA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

13 October 2023 - Grade Arts Center, NEW LONDON, CT, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

14 October 2023 - Town Hall, NEW YORK, NY, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

15 October 2023 - Whitaker Center, HARRISBURG, PA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

17 October 2023 - The Strand, PROVIDENCE, RI, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

19 October 2023 - Scottish Rite Auditorium, COLLINGSWOOD, NJ, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

20 October 2023 - Scottish Rite Auditorium, COLLINGSWOOD, NJ, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

21 October 2023 - Scottish Rite Auditorium, COLLINGSWOOD, NJ, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

24 October 2023 - Carolina Theatre of Durham, DURHAM, NC, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: OPENER

26 October 2023 - Charleston Music Hall, CHARLESTON, SC, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: CMHST23

28 October 2023 - Center Stage, ATLANTA, GA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

29 October 2023 - Ryman Auditorium, NASHVILLE, TN, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: OPENER

31 October 2023 - Taft Theatre, CINCINNATI,OH, USA - TICKETS ONSALE: 24 March 2023

01 November 2023 - Goodyear Theater, AKRON, OH, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

02 November 2023 - Copernicus Center, CHICAGO, IL, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: NARNIA or REVISITED

03 November 2023 - The Pabst Theater, MILWAUKEE, WI, USA - TICKETS ONSALE: 24 March 2023

05 November 2023 - Hoyt Sherman Theatre, DES MOINES, IA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: OPENER or MAGNETIC

09 November 2023 - The Moore Theatre, SEATTLE, WA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: OPENER or MAGNETIC

10 November 2023 - Historic Elsinore Theatre, SALEM, OR, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: MAGNETIC

13 November 2023 - Golden State Theatre, MONTEREY, CA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: SteveGST

14 November 2023 - Palace of Fine Arts Theatre, SAN FRANCISCO, CA, USA - TICKETS ONSALE: 24 March 2023

16 November 2023 - Balboa Theatre, SAN DIEGO, CA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023)

17 November 2023 - Lobero Theatre, SANTA BARBARA, CA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: FOXTROT

18 November 2023 - Orpheum Theatre, LOS ANGELES, LA, USA - TICKETS (ONSALE: 24 March 2023) Presale: ORPHEUM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Islander said:

Yikes!  It always seems less serious when you come to a stop with the tires under you and not above you.  I hope your injuries were minor.  There was a time when a flipping car experience was often fatal.  Do you think there was any malicious intent, or was it just a case of other driver stupidness (ODS)?

Volvo?  That power steering fluid reservoir looks so much like a GM part that I got mistaken.  I guess there's so much cross-breeding nowadays that it's easy to make mistakes very often.

It seemed like ODS at the time.

I had a small piece of glass that ended up in one eye, just floating on the surface really, that they were able to swab out with the help of some UV light at the ER.

Other than that it was just some relatively minor bruises and a bit of “rug burn” on my left arm from the seatbelt.

My guardian angel was definitely along for the ride that night.

You are right about the power steering pump.

For many years volvo used the same Saginaw power steering pumps as GM.

• Thanks 1

@grasshopperThat you are brother!  lol  Just a gaggle of us hangin like a rusty fish hook.  Oldest daughter won the Duckburg Ladies Invitational bowling Saturday.  She's been bowling for about 8 years.  Don't remember what she had but beat the other woman by 34 pins.  The other woman caved when she threw 8 strikes in a row at her in the second game.  Then she left a ton of single pins and splits, which made it close.  That ball was trackin right in there and some of those defiant lil things just never wavered. I just sat with the grands and watched.  My therapy for the weekend.  :)

70 today?  Pffffft, monsoons for 3 days starting at noon and a temp drop.  Time to air this place out a bit.  Then I'm taking the rest of the day off!  lol   

• Like 2

cool. I used to play the game.

Been 10 years since I competed in anything.

Senior Games....I shot a low 600 [3 game set]... that was rather  embarrassing... I re-entered and shot 740.

we're suffering winterish weather. mid 60's for highs. At least the wind stopped.  I'm wanting to set some plants into the garden....but,  it looks like frost for another week.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

It seemed like ODS at the time.

I had a small piece of glass that ended up in one eye, just floating on the surface really, that they were able to swab out with the help of some UV light at the ER.

Other than that it was just some relatively minor bruises and a bit of “rug burn” on my left arm from the seatbelt.

My guardian angel was definitely along for the ride that night.

You are right about the power steering pump.

For many years volvo used the same Saginaw power steering pumps as GM.

GM owns Volvo

• Like 2