Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, NADman said:

https://markbittman.com/recipes-1/no-knead-bread 

I've been using this recipe for years. works and tastes great.

I substitute 50% Whole wheat flour or even better 25% Whole wheat and 25% dark rye flour.

And parchment paper is your friend. Good luck.

Thanks I'll be trying that real soon. Sounds wonderful.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Food that will stick to foil in the oven will not stick if you line the pan with foil and then use parchment paper on top.  Easy clean up.

Yeaa, but food won't stick to a carbon steel pan or my old 80s stainless at all unless it's baked on cheese.

Like I said next week will be my first foray into some real baking. Not ready for filo yet;)

I though he meant using the parchment paper to make he dough on. Got a cast iron pot for the bread that it will fall out of just like the cornbread does from the fry pan.

X had a worn piece of plywood with a couple clamps and the starter in the cabinet for the pasta long ago. This old place just grosses me out, and I'll put the paper on the table for the dough. 

PXL-20230603-154715833.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, amped said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-jim-laheys-basic-no-knead-bread/

Sorry for the CBS link. I got the book and it's my go to. BTW, using a scale is a game changer- no more mess- do it all in grams. I do the second rise on the parchment paper and lower the whole thing into the dutch oven. If any does stick, it peels off when cooling.

Yes. I measure everything in grams. I do the same with second rise but now use a 12 lb. cast iron loaf pan.

pan.png

• Like 3

The early summertime has reached our country ,the forecast for the next two weeks are looking sun bright as well , around 80 F every day . It´s full moon tonight here at 11 38 pm , no clouds in the nightsky

vollmond.thumb.jpg.e5afcdab139e7345c357520ec16efb06.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/2/2023 at 6:37 PM, JohnJ said:

If I can end up making whole wheat like you could buy in the 80s (without all the birdseed in it) or maybe reproduce Roman Meal bread I'll let you know. But until I have some dirt to grow tomatos in again I won't need the plain white bread! I'll see if the store up the road has that yeast in a little while... but got buttermilk this am so there will be a couple pans of corrnbread again soon.

We used to buy 5 gallon buckets of whole grains and grind it to make our own flour > bread. Josh @Invidiosulus  was the one who did most of the work on the hand cranked grinder.

I would get home from work and half the bread was already gone.

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2023 at 2:32 PM, carewser said:

Now if I could just figure out what this time-honored thread has to do with cables, cycles and cocktails.....

For some reason this just popped up in my notify.  Dunno.  Just an thread @Tarheel created as a place to hang and chit chat.  Guys started talking about something startind w/the letter C soooo he kept adding it to the title. Simple.  Like minded ppl just chewing the fat.  lol

@Marvel She was with Dirks Bentley.  I guess she did one song w/him according to the setlist www.cleveland.com posted.

Country music singer/songwriter Dierks Bentley performs at Blossom Music Center during a stop on his Gravel & Gold Tour, June 3, 2023.

Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway perform at Blossom Music Center as opening act for Dierks Bentley show, June 3, 2023

Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway open for Dierks Bentley show at Blossom, June 3, 2023
Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway perform at Blossom Music Center as opening act for Dierks Bentley show, June 3, 2023. 
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Wake Up Smell The Coffee GIF - Wake Up Smell The Coffee Coffee Cups GIFs

That smell quite good at 5 20 am with my first mug of latte macchiato ..hhhhmmm taste so good ! Ja , its 50 F in the early mornung and 83 F are forecast , no clouds in the sky , birds singing their early morning concert , tomorrow evening I got an appointment at 6.45 pm to inspect a new apartment . I had applied for the apartment and yesterday the owner had a long talk with me, we got along great, the nwe apartment within it´s enviroment is a little dream , I call it " The Soundgarden Temple " , hope to get the contract fixed a.s.a.p. It is available from sep. 1rst. Can tell you more in less than 48 hours ,

So guys have a good sleep , I´m getting ready for the day 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I drink coffee all day. It's cold/room temp most of the time. Just something to drink.... anything

water, juice, lemonade

if I want cold water... have to get a jug out of the fridge. The "cold" tapwater is verging on luke-warm

I've known folks that could drink coffee all day long and go to sleep right after putting the cup in the sink. Tea either delivers the caffeine differently or has more of it because a couple of them wouldn't even drink it with dinner at 5 or 6 pm.

Water here is still kind of cool, not like January. We haven't had your kind of heat yet this year. Elevation is 200 ft higher here than my hometown, so that changes the temp I'm sure.

• Like 2

I went fishing this morning.

The trout wouldn’t bite but I had a nice time by the river sipping coffee.

IMG_0504.thumb.jpeg.959989fc2d84525bdd27da4934794836.jpeg

this afternoon I fired up the egg and seared some lamb to give it some Smokey flavor before making some stew with it.

IMG_0506.thumb.jpeg.43af22aeece31dc4553f4334a07386a8.jpeg

The egg is still going and it will get some pork butts overnight.

• Like 5

Sure sounds like a nice day. Talked to a sales mgr about a good little suv. Got to think on it overnight, he didn't quite come to where I wanted, but did make a couple good concessions towards it!

• Like 5

LONG day here again today.  Have a plate full of stuff going on right now but did get some of it sorted today. 

THEN I broke out the gas Stihl trimmers and tackled  3 huge burning bushes on the end of the house.  Those suckers have been here forever I think but I finally broke out the chain saw on 'em a couple years ago.  Now it's like cuttin cake but still a ton of work for me.  Ran outta garbage cans so a trip to the compost site tomorrow morning and I'll knock the rest out in the morning. 

The downside maybe some spotty showers.  I'll be done though by the weekend since they're calling for rain all weekend.  No rain in 2 weeks isn't good for my new landscaping.  So I'm beat and decided McD's for a milkshake only to be told the ice cream machine is broken.  No idea when they'll get parts they said.  Seriously?   Byte me!

THEN get the news that Keb' Mo' is playing in a renovated theatre about 50 miles away.  He squeezed it into his tour.  So made a couple calls and snagged 4.   Priced 79 each which is crazy for a 4.7 star tour.  THAT made the day!  Road trip!  😂

• Like 4