Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Wow.  I don't recall ever seeing them before or if I did I've forgotten.   Omg I sound like you!

If you get us confused just remember I'm the good looking, smart one, with hair, who makes good martinis.  You're the one in Texas.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

If you get us confused just remember I'm the good looking, smart one, with hair, who makes good martinis.  You're the one in Texas.

If I'm ever that confused someone needs to put me out of my misery.  Looking at that incoherent, couldn't be farther from the truth statement of yours, you're closer than I am.

• Like 1

By now, there are probably 100 people watching these on eBay, including me.  While I have no interest in owning these, I'm curious, kinda like driving by an auto accident.

These are being relisted, due to buyer not being able to secure funds.  

[Or, possibly coming out from under the ether.]

Listed here for sale, is a remarkable pair of Technics SB-M1, (Monitor 1) speakers.

The SB-M1s are some of the most sought after vintage speakers in the world. These speakers are so rare, you could wait years and possibly decades to find another pair for sale.     

These Studio Monitors were the result the Technics Corporations' endeavor to make the finest speaker system ever made. Technics was responding to Sony’s new flagship speaker; the APM 8. Today, the Sony APM8's sell for upwards of $40,000.00 and SB-M1s were designed and built to be a better speaker than the APM8.   

Unfortunately, the SB-M1s, never went into full production because with a list price of $10,000.00 in 1980, Technics knew most people could not afford them. The only speakers produced was an original small run designated as floor models for a select-few distributors. There were also a few pairs made to be used at trade shows. This is why these speakers are so rare. These are incredible sounding, and very accurate speakers.                         

These particular SB-M1s have had very little use over the years and it shows. They are virtually in the same condition as they were when they were new, in 1981. Speakers weigh 200 pounds each.          

Speakers can be safely shipped to your home or office anywhere in the world.   

Multiple payment options are available for these speakers. Please feel free to inquire.  

International shipping is available.

Buyer is responsible for any customs charges, fees or taxes required by your Country. 

Thank you so much for looking and have a great day.

Put away your checkbook,  Do not flex you PayPal muscles.  Move away from the computer.  These have FOAM SURROUNDS!

SB-M1 Problems

FoamStart_small.jpgAnyone who has owned or seen a pair of Bose 901's from the 1980's will be all to familiar with the issue of decaying foam on the surrounds of the drivers.  This issue actually completely decapitates 901's!  Well there is good news and bad news in this respect for the now quarter century old Technics SB-M1's.  The good news is that the foam surround of the 15" bass driver is not effected.  The bad news is that the 9" Mid-Low EAS-22PL03S unit is effected.  I have heard the same thing from other SB-M1 owners.  It appears that when stored for many years the units come out looking like new, but after just a little usage the foam just crumbles and holes start to appear.  In the case of the SB-M1 Low-Mid unit, this actually appears to make very little difference to the units operation unlike for the Bose 901.  The suspension is quite stiff (not necessarily a good thing for a mid range driver) and it still operates perfectly well with the entire surround crumbled and gone!  Even so, with the SB-M1's looking so good with the grills off I thought it worth repairing them just for the cosmetic benefit and the process is described below.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, minermark said:

Good Sat morning gents

Nap was good

Spect i should clean out the Dodge, small road trip pending.

BBQ & SourdoughSlim @ Berryessa Brewing Co, been following this guy for 20+ years.

Most of his shows are free, of course i'll likely need to drink a Beer or two in support of the venue.

https://youtu.be/hEu5PUCWltQ

• Like 1