Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Yep and if the pin slides slightly, It stays there.

My father often spoke about the difficulty involved with getting the machine to pick up the pin where it found it and return to the same spot in the same state of wobble.  Naturally, if a wobbling pin was picked up at the top of its wobble, it would barely wobble when set back down.

17 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Yes.

Unfortunately, running a company to make money and building quality products are not necessarily synonymous. PWK was kind of in that same boat.  He was an excellent engineer, but not an excellent businessman.

I wholeheartedly disagree about PWK not being a good businessman, too many factors show that he was...what he WAS NOT is a GOOD MARKETER!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I wholeheartedly disagree about PWK not being a good businessman, too many factors show that he was...what he WAS NOT is a GOOD MARKETER!

Semantics.  To be an excellent businessman, one must be at least a good marketer. PWK himself said as much about the transformation of his business that took place when marketing people came on board.

Edited by DizRotus

On 7/29/2017 at 4:00 PM, Tarheel said:

Same here Gary.  Always thought the Heritage line was the holy grail but I could live happily ever after with the 280s.  The LS/Altecs remain at idle.   The LF has her 280s hooked up to vintage ss and they sound very good.  Mine driven by 25wpc tube power are even sweeter.  Don't let her know or I will be looking at another tube amp:P

you hope she doesn't check out

your thread .... or you will be shopping soon...and come home

with a lighter wallet..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Semantics.  To be an excellent businessman, one must be at least a good marketer. PWK himself said as much about the transformation of his business that took place when marketing people came on board.

He was good at INDIVIDUAL marketing, such as visits to dealers, but MASS-marketing was never his strong point, and that is what Bob Moers did to bring the company into the black...beginning in the first half of the 1960's.  Once the mass-marketing really got on a roll, and dealer reps were hired on to KEEP IT THAT WAY, then the company took off!  But more often than not, the same "tricks" PWK used at the dealerships for demos were continued to be used, just MORE OFTEN and in MORE LOCATIONS. 

Bob traveled the country and more dealerships were "recruited" to carry the Klipsch line,(often, whether they wanted to or not!).  LOL!  If they were NOT interested, then he would just back his van up relatively close to the dealer store-front and open the rear doors of the van, each door having a Heresy speaker attached to a shelf mounted on the inside of each door.  Then he would just play the Heresy speakers and potential customers would gather around to listen...while Bob talked about horn-loading and efficiency...and most dealers saw the customer interest and changed their minds to get the potential customers INSIDE their stores to listen to a line they were not even carrying, yet

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Off to Home Depot for a new door bell kit and AC filters.  Door bell lasted over 29 years so.......

As Mark would say "Taco Tuesday" alas I'm doing my protein diet so no tacos for me:(

Reminds me of my 2008 Kia Sportage battery....This past spring the ORIGINAL battery would no longer hold a charge, so I had to buy a new one...the ORIGINAL battery had lasted 9 years, and over 125,000 miles...at first I was PIZZED, then realized how long it had lasted, and how many miles it made it through...ESPECIALLY since the first year of its life the battery was seldom used because I actually bought that NEW 2008 model in March of 2009, so it had been a VERY good one!  So, when I went to purchase the NEW battery, I really felt OBLIGATED to Gripe about how long it had lasted, saying (tongue-in-cheek) "You would THINK that a car battery would last longer than 9 years and 125,000 miles, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Reminds me of my 2008 Kia Sportage battery....This past spring the ORIGINAL battery would no longer hold a charge, so I had to buy a new one...the ORIGINAL battery had lasted 9 years, and over 125,000 miles...at first I was PIZZED, then realized how long it had lasted, and how many miles it made it through...ESPECIALLY since the first year of its life the battery was seldom used because I actually bought that NEW 2008 model in March of 2009, so it had been a VERY good one!  So, when I went to purchase the NEW battery, I really felt OBLIGATED to Gripe about how long it had lasted, saying (tongue-in-cheek) "You would THINK that a car battery would last longer than 9 years and 125,000 miles, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

One of my trucks had a battery last 10 years...2006 Chevy Silverado with 240k on it. I replaced the original last year.

I also got 10 years out of a Honda motorcycle battery, a battery tender was always connected to it.

• Like 2