Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Should be interesting but if the flags are flying outta the Southwest the short chute btwn 1 and 2 will be a junkyard.  If not they're gonna open them up and let 'em run.  Had an old photographer tell me that once and he was spot on w/that.   Couple years later is when AJ drove thru it all in the chute.  That was totally insane to watch peekin up overtop of a barrier!  I loved shooting at Indy!  ALWAYS a good time seeing everyone year after year...   Kinda nice watching though now!  Should be a good one!

• Like 2

My little brother goes every year, mostly as an excuse to get together with his buddies from USNA.  A couple years ago one of the buddie’s daughter was looking at dates to schedule her wedding.  She suggested Memorial Day weekend, to which he replied, “By all means, schedule it that weekend if you don’t want me to attend.”  He explained to her that Memorial Day and Indy have been synonymous since before she was born, and her wedding wasn’t about to change that.  She selected another date.

I’ve been several times.  I miss the days when Mickey Thompson, Dale Coyne, and others ran “stock blocks.”

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I’ve been several times.  I miss the days when Mickey Thompson, Dale Coyne, and others ran “stock blocks.”

I'd take a weeks vaca from my real job to shoot Muirfield then follow it up w/Indy then Mid-Ohio for the Indy cars.  Then it was local sports on the side.  Stringing sports doesn't pay much but w/the credentials for the major events it was worth it.  Met a lot of great people and had a blast.  You truly do have to be insane to get the shots no one else gets.  28 years of insanity but what a great time.  lol  The best one was Pink Floyd in Cleveland Muni Stadium on Friday nite, sleep there then up to Indy the next morning, sleep in the in-field and shoot the race then back to OSU stadium in Cbus to see them again!  Was nummy!  A wedding on Memorial Day wkend?  TOTALLY out of the question! 

hahaha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I am open to suggestion. If I go with 33's for the bottoms, I can scale the tops back a little?

Not really I doubt you can hear the difference from the 33 or 43, one just can handle more power for the most part. 

I used the same drivers in the top of a laScala or Khorn (same thing) and some AA crossovers. Between this and the MWM bottoms it's a good match,and can fill a good size area, I play them outside and even at a few hundred feet sound really good just using an old HK 930 receiver for power, so it's not like you need big amps.

I would think if you used a smaller top half you would be sorry, especially if used outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Confused Dtel?  Doesn't it fit perfectly with your posted weather report?  I expect confusion from a guy who can't send a toaster to the right address, but not from you.

Yes but it's not hard to do.

I always thought snow at 92 degrees was rain, but who knows in these modern times ? I would love some snow anytime soon, but I bet I can mail a toaster but you don't want our funky toaster.

It's the craziest toaster I have ever seen, one started if you want to stop it early the only way is to unplug it. But it's probably made by the guy in china who made our microwave, that little chinese guy is working and laughing at the idiots who buy these things. When the microwave is running the light is on inside, when it stops there is no light, stupid little things make a difference.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

LF just back from Hope jumps on a plane and heads to Sarasota for a wedding.  Bored here....watching Jaws marathon.  Had two Belvedere martinis on the patio.  Flash flood warnings......maybe 4" rain on swollen creeks. 

That's about it......

• Like 5

• Moderators
4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

@dtel

a couple of tops from some split Scalas to complete the set?    or the equivalent.... I dinna necessarily want to go with the 4 way on the MCM1900

Yes, but I built my own, it was cheaper and easier to find the parts used. Mine are not the same as a split LaScala, I think l made them a little bigger because I put the crossover in the top cabinet with 2 sets of binding post. One in from source and one out to a single bass bin. 

One other thing I did later was to put fiberglass window screen around each horn and screwed them to the cabinet. I did this because after 2 summers wasp had built enough dirt houses to almost close it off. 

One other thing I added some hardware cloth(the heavy metal mesh) to the inside back so no animals could crawl in and get to the woofer. These pics were before I added the window screen over the horns. Back then I ran them with a cheap 10 WPC  t-amp and an old walkman all on batteries completely portable and still got to 100 db easily. The quality of the sound is surprising.

They were not built to be pretty but to be hauled out in the yard, they are covered in exterior house paint, I use a blower to blow off the dust out the bins. :lol:

To give you a better idea, in one pic you can see a little of the hardware cloth, I just wrapped it around to each side and added a couple of screws.

mwm.,..jpg

mwm y (2).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1