Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Scrooge McDuck's saying, "Work smarter, not harder"

We have a crew disposing of weeds on all vacant and frontage. For free. The cows are in town ... and we have folks giving them  water to keep them here.  If you park on the street, they can be hard on side mirrors.

.. Weed-n-feed.

open range ... we don't need a permit to fence. If you don't want them, it's your responsibility to fence them out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

That doesn't sound good. The plane a one or two engine?  Y'all weren't off the ground, I hope.

4 engine; abort for low power (on one engine) on the take off run; lotta data running thru da brain, see below
The flight engineer computes predicted power at 80 knots using outside air temperature, pressure altitude and logged engine efficiencies...a certain amount less than predicted requires an abort, return to line and high power runs to troubleshoot.

The T56-a-14 is rated at 4600 shaft horsepower at 1077 degrees C T.I.T. (Turbine Inlet Temperature) at standard day [sea level (29.92" hg) and 15 degrees C /59 degrees F]. Deviations of pressure altitude and temperature are calculated to arrive at predicted. All engines are different depending on age / use, overhaul or repair. Performance trending is done every 112 days. Salt water ingestion, wear and tear, over temps, air leaks, etc.

So with FOUR perfect 100% efficient engines (eh, never, ever, ever in your dreams) you have 4 horse powers, temperatures, propeller R.P.M and fuel flow to monitor as you set power from idle to military while accelerating from 0 to 80 knots. Now figure that all our engines range from 98 to 103 % (or greater) and you gotta know which engine predicts what while maintaining all other limits....a busy time. Life of a P-3 flight engineer but that is just take off performance on engines.

Trivia question: no googling
Standard day temp is 15C at sea level
What is standard temperature at +40,000 feet M.S.L (Mean Sea Level) [given no temperature inversion (layers of cooler / warmer air at different altitudes ]?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

• Moderators
On 6/18/2018 at 2:48 PM, Tarheel said:

Why yes I am but let's keep it a secret....okay?

7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

A surprise arrived by mail from Picayune.  A Pilgrimage tee shirt.  Which one of you did this?  Christy and Elden?

The LF, I'm seeing a trend here, might be a little something to it ? 🐳:ohmy:

• Like 2

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:
5 hours ago, USNRET said:

What is standard temperature at +40,000 feet M.S.L (Mean Sea Level) [given no temperature inversion (layers of cooler / warmer air at different altitudes ]?

Can I get back to you on that?  😂 😂

Always heard the higher you were the cooler it was, but it seems after I got so high any higher is not cool at all. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Standard Day Temperature
(2 x Altitude in Thousands) - 15 =

If altitude is greater than 7,500 feet the result is a negative

(2 x 40) - 15 = 65

- 65 degrees C

Now next time your are flying along and the flt deck welcomes you to cruising along at 33,000 today you can turn and announce that it is currently minus 51 degrees C outside

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Standard Day Temperature
(2 x Altitude in Thousands) - 15 =

If altitude is greater than 7,500 feet the result is a negative

(2 x 40) - 15 = 65

- 65 degrees C

Now next time your are flying along and the flt deck welcomes you to cruising along at 33,000 today you can turn and announce that it is currently minus 51 degrees C outside

Perfect!  I'm starting to see the big picture now...

• Our Family Puts Crazy on the Front Porch With a Cocktail in Hand

I'll bite...  Goes to Google to find out what the temp outside is in Farenheit cause I KNOW someones gonna ask...  Goes to get another Cocktail...  😂 😂 😂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Perfect!  I'm starting to see the big picture now...

• Our Family Puts Crazy on the Front Porch With a Cocktail in Hand

I'll bite...  Goes to Google to find out what the temp outside is in Farenheit cause I KNOW someones gonna ask...  Goes to get another Cocktail...  😂 😂 😂  

So at what temperature(s) does C and F become the same? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

So at what temperature(s) does C and F become the same? 

I also know that pie r round!  😂  I'm the one riding and just nodding my head when the guy in front of me tells me that.  I remember flying outta Cbus, GA to Atl on the way home from Ft Benning LONG ago.  Had been talking to a CW3 rotor pilot @ the airport and there he was talking to the Cpt and another pilot when I boarded.  He told them I was a nice kid and to put me in the jump seat for the flight so they flopped a lil board down and I got to ride up there.   It was actually waaay cool til they started to come in for the landing.  ALL I could see was the nose of the aircraft and ground EVERYwhere....  Yea, once was enough...  Thought I was gonna die.  Now I know why rotor pilots are rotor pilots!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1