Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

=== not being a big drinker on any level I have little to say but same as Dtel I do much better drinking liquor over beer. A couple three beers and I’m near my limit, maybe it’s the carbonation that gets me drunker, quicker. 

And ive yet to understand what has made Corona the best selling imported beer, other than that stellar ad campaign and decent commercials. I mean really, if you must slip a quarter slice of lime into the bottle how good can it be. Without the lime, to me, its nothing more than swamp water. I enjoy a a darker beer and generally buy Shiner Bock. If not Shiner the KC brewed Boulevard Wheat is a tremendous beer that has near national distribution at this point. Although they were bought by the Belgium brewer Duval absolutely nothing has changed in their quality and purpose other than funding for expansion and further development. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dtel said:
7 hours ago, Tarheel said:

You could only get Coor's west of the Mississippi.  Someone would occasionally bring a case back from their travels. 

Before Coors was sold here my best friend wanted some really bad, so I found him a case for his birthday. He found out the next day it didn't agree with him,  he was pooping water for 2 days, it was hilarious.

During that time a group of us went to Aspen to ski and took two vans...  Stopped in Denver on the way out and bought every can of Coors this store had.  We had cans and bottles stuffed everywhere.  Paid for the chalet rental with the money when we got home.  hahahaha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richieb said:

=== not being a big drinker on any level I have little to say but same as Dtel I do much better drinking liquor over beer. A couple three beers and I’m near my limit, maybe it’s the carbonation that gets me drunker, quicker. 

And ive yet to understand what has made Corona the best selling imported beer, other than that stellar ad campaign and decent commercials. I mean really, if you must slip a quarter slice of lime into the bottle how good can it be. Without the lime, to me, its nothing more than swamp water. I enjoy a a darker beer and generally buy Shiner Bock. If not Shiner the KC brewed Boulevard Wheat is a tremendous beer that has near national distribution at this point. Although they were bought by the Belgium brewer Duval absolutely nothing has changed in their quality and purpose other than funding for expansion and further development. 

The problem with Corona is the bottle. It is clear. People call beer "skunked" for all sorts of reasons. Air in a keg, warmed up, warmed up then cooled down. Skunked is a process by which light interacts with the hops and makes an actual skunky sort of funky. To be skunked it must be exposed to light, nothing else. Whatever is in a brown bottle filters out that particular spectrum (too lazy to google it) of light better than clear or green. The lime negates the skunk somewhat. Most lagers in the Caribbean can trace their roots to German styles. They are all very much the same. Go get some Corona in a can (not light struck), Red Stripe, Sol, Pacifico and dozen others. Blind it will be as difficult as determining Bud Light, Coors Light and Miller Lite....almost nil. People that say they can tell Bud Light form Miller Lite are fooling themselves into remembering a bad night in high school or advertising hype.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, rplace said:

Most lagers in the Caribbean can trace their roots to German styles.

This was one of my favorites in the Caribbean, Belikin, I asked about it and was told a bunch of Germans immigrated to Belize. He laughed and said you know how the Germans are they are going to brew beer whenever they are.  Pretty darn good for $1.00 in a bar by the water.

dream_2_19_17-153.JPG

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dtel said:

This was one of my favorites in the Caribbean, Belikin, I asked about it and was told a bunch of Germans immigrated to Belize. He laughed and said you know how the Germans are they are going to brew beer whenever they are.  Pretty darn good for $1.00 in a bar by the water.

Similar story with Presidente in the Dominican Republic. They were slushy/semi-frozen out of the tiki bar pool side and $2 each. by the time you had two sips it was melted. By the bottom of the bottle it was warm. We stood in the shallow end of the pool under the shade of two crossed palm trees moving like sundials to not burst into flames by the June sun. Rock/Paper/Scissors determined who burnt their feet on the pool deck to get the next round. Fun times.

presidente-beer-profile.jpg?1357531076

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, dtel said:

dream_2_19_17-153.JPG

They make electrical components too....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, rplace said:

Similar story with Presidente in the Dominican Republic. They were slushy/semi-frozen out of the tiki bar pool side and $2 each. by the time you had two sips it was melted. By the bottom of the bottle it was warm. We stood in the shallow end of the pool under the shade of two crossed palm trees moving like sundials to not burst into flames by the June sun. Rock/Paper/Scissors determined who burnt their feet on the pool deck to get the next round. Fun times.

presidente-beer-profile.jpg?1357531076

Anytime I go to the Dominican it's nothing but El Presidente, we even have a local drive through get it from time to time for us when we're home.  This beer will hold it's own against many others.  I was there last year and could have had any beer, it was all included in our package and it was nothing but Presidente for me, and a couple gallons of Mamajuana.  
When in Rome!

Now Corona, IMHO, that is skunk piss no matter when or what you drink it out of (I think that's the flavor they are going for, or skunk piss with lime)  Anyone that I've ever given a Land Shark to, that was a Corona drinker was instantly switched and that's without adding fruit.  I also don't add orange to Blue Moon, but that's just me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm still drawing air

Went to my buddy's services Sunday. Didn't wear my sarong, too cold. I did don a robe.  Drew a couple of Moses comments and was asked if I had joined a Greek Orthodox order.. lol

DizRotus will appreciate this.

One of my buddy's great lines was "Como frijole tennis shoes?"

translation

How you bean [been], Keds?

Made myself a "cocktail" last night. A good, old fashioned ice cream soda. Vanilla ice cream with chocolate soda. Haven't had one since the ice cream parlor in Elkhart, 50 years ago or more.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I'm still drawing air

Went to my buddy's services Sunday. Didn't wear my sarong, too cold. I did don a robe.  Drew a couple of Moses comments and was asked if I had joined a Greek Orthodox order.. lol

DizRotus will appreciate this.

One of my buddy's great lines was "Como frijole tennis shoes?"

translation

How you bean [been], Keds?

Made myself a "cocktail" last night. A good, old fashioned ice cream soda. Vanilla ice cream with chocolate soda. Haven't had one since the ice cream parlor in Elkhart, 50 years ago or more.

I live in a little town of 17k just east of Indianapolis. About a year ago, a guy open up a pizza shop, Hometown Pizza. It's a 100 year old building, and inside it still has the original wood bar, probably 40' long. They have an ice cream section there, reminds me of the old ice cream parlors we would visit as a kid. It's like walking back in time. I really like it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I'm still drawing air

Still having respiratory trouble?

`Bout time to go heavy on the vitimans the H2o & zinc and don't forget to change the intake filter for your hvac!

Not trying to be bossy, mention that in a just in case you haven't manner.

Or hey glad you're still with us!

Cool here, heavy loud sleet for several hours this morning, still you can hear it hitting metal things outside.

Chocolatized the last of my second coffee today with some chocolate milk!

IMG-20190219-133942.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm doin' OK ... relatively. 

Flu season has taken a toll. Lost 2 friends in 2 weeks, younger than me. My niece landed herself in the hospital. I'm above ground...Guess I doin 'good.  Kinda playing on me. I had it before them, and warned them... I was down for near a month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Just now, WillyBob said:

I'm doin' OK ... relatively. 

Flu season has taken a toll. Lost 2 friends in 2 weeks, younger than me. My niece landed herself in the hospital. I'm above ground...Guess I doin 'good.  Kinda playing on me. I had it before them, and warned them... I was down for near a month.

Yes I recall you mentioning it a good while back. 

All I know is keeping your liver flushed out with good ol water chasing the germs out was the best thing that I was ever convinced is one of those truisms!

• Like 5

• Moderators
5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I'm still drawing air

Your just not right, that's funny, can't believe you did that. :lol:

Were sick here also, the coughing and feeling sore and beat up kind, not the mental kind, we're not going there. It was 52 outside last night and warmer inside and I had warm slippers and a coat on and still shivering, finally stopped when I got under a heating blanket. At least I'm not cold today but still feel like crap.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1