Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

It was strange looking at pictures, the area looks like a hot desert but everyone in pictures was wearing some type of jacket.

There were some nice lakes and fishing with some good looking mountains in the distance.

47 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

You can grow a lot of things here... just add water.

Probably alot of water and regularly. I have some plants that need some shade here, they would be crispy in no time with that much open sky. But with all that open sky you can see bad weather coming for a long distance, bet lightning storms are nice to see. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WillyBob said:

our summer "popcorn" t-storms are entertaining. You can see them coming for miles. You can hear the rain coming.  Might be the drops going SSSSSST when they hit the hot rocks.

=== similar to our spring tornadoes. You can see them forming for miles. You can hear the 170mph winds coming. Then “poof” - both you and them are gone —

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

trying to us up this Kona. Wife complained about it being too strong. Guess I'm trying too hard.

Was noticing that when it gets 95` in the SE, it is called hot. They reserve "hot" for 100`+ here. lol

It's all relative. Drove to SanDiego  in June. We stopped in Yuma to fuel. Ex says, "It's hot!" 

it was [only] 105` and the locals were talking it being cool.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Was noticing that when it gets 95` in the SE, it is called hot. They reserve "hot" for 100`+ here. lol

It's all relative. Drove to SanDiego  in June. We stopped in Yuma to fuel. Ex says, "It's hot!" 

it was [only] 105` and the locals were talking it being cool.

I guess it's all relative to what you're used to, and we all know how much our relatives can vary.

I remember going to California when I was a kid and passing through the desert, we stayed the night. The hotel had a swimming pool with a metal fence around it and my sister and I decided to go. The only problem was the fence was so hot we couldn't touch it to work the latch, then after using a towel, we found the water was hotter than a hot tub so we went back to the room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

That's why you have to be careful who you listen too!

Since the dumbing-down started that is the case here they show 90 as "very hot" in the pictorial diagrams, then they get the info from over 100 miles away at GSP. Lots of northerners moved here in the late 70s. Seems the weather people are all yankees now! I saw a kid I mean young and looked like he was in good shape have a heatstroke in Boston back in `96 when it was 85 degrees in late June there. Those same weather... go hysterical when a thunderstorm builds up over the river, or flurries get reported. Before they tell us a twister is coming my phone goes off... my uncle still flies (ex-Army Air Force) for the Civil Air Patrol he'll call every time and tell  us to take cover because he already knows about it and he is 130 miles the other direction from us towards VA.

Like @CECAA850 states the closer the temp and humidity get to each other above say 88 the more hard it is to breathe. It's like it doesn't give you what you need when you inhale.

Outside a lot last week `cause stuff in the yard had to be done while it was dry, and our local weather underground stations were reporting 97 to 100 in most of them it was hot `cause I'm out of shape now, thing is the sweating, the sore back and sleeping better from being drained makes me feel great the last couple of days.

Bought some beans from amazon... they ripped me off...two stickers over the roast date on the stale juan valdez cumbre. Went cheap this time, bad choice. Beans are my most important necessity. Ordered from Belux again this morning after I poured mine down the drain. If I'm lucky Atl to here will be the next day once again!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dtel said:

I guess it's all relative to what you're used to, and we all know how much our relatives can vary.

You sir are correct!  Having grown up in the Poconos and then about 14 years all over the South Carolina, you get more accustom to your environment and your perception of what's hot/cold/humid and dry alter greatly.  After being back "northish" in Ohio for 10 years, a day with 90's and 90+ humidity in Beaufort would knock me on my ***,  and my temperature where shorts are appropriate has lowered back to 50.  I remember my first trip to Phoenix and mocking people that said "but it's a dry heat" was I wrong, I'd rather a 95 degree day in the desert than and 80/80 for sure.  Now I just get to experience the Gray as I call it, typical Ohio weather, some shade of gray, temps from 0 to 100 and the last few years, it rains a lot, which goes with the Gray! :emotion-41: 

• Like 3

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Pete H said:

my temperature where shorts are appropriate has lowered back to 50. 

Exactly, we have friends who come down here from Indiana in the winter to go on a cruise and escape the cold. When they get here if it is in the 40's and I have a light jacket on they laugh at me as they have t-shirts on and enjoying it.

Similar to when we went down to Miami in November, walking around one night it was in the low 70's, I had a tank top and all the locals had coats on, it was easy to spot the locals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a darn good price for the real mccoy Carl, sure that you know that. Thank You for the link!

Also peaberry is the prime of any type of a crop.

*Brunswick, GA that's right after I hook a right for the I-95 stretch of the trip to the Cape "Caution: Smoke-Fog"

Brunswick-GA-smoke-fog-plant.jpg

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That's a darn good price for the real mccoy Carl, sure that you know that. Thank You for the link!

Also peaberry is the prime of any type of a crop.

Try a pound and tell me what you think.  It's the smoothest coffee I've had in a very long time.  They have Kona for just a few dollars less.  I haven't tried that yet.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Try a pound and tell me what you think.  It's the smoothest coffee I've had in a very long time.  They have Kona for just a few dollars less.  I haven't tried that yet.

You're a bad influence to hit an addict when they're out of the good stuff:laugh:

Even though I have some on order.

Gotta figure out how to get into ebay since I changed isps last year and have a new "E"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Thought this was funny as far as shipping goes. 

This is a clear film that goes on the inside window of a sandblasting cabinet to protect the glass. 

It's a roll that's 24" wide by 10' long, it's plastic and pretty tough.

I guess they didn't have a smaller box? 

1A523FB2-B99C-469F-A634-0ADA8014AE87.jpeg

• Haha 4

Totally looks like Amazon packaging, leaving plenty of room for breakables to break.  That said, when it does, their customer service is freaking unbelievable, but they should have a test for people in packaging that tests their ability to gauge size.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

No not Amazon it was directly from a company that specializes in sandblasting parts and machines. I just happen to find them when looking for protectant film and they easily had the best deal.  I needed 12"x24", this roll will give me enough to replace it 10 times, which is a couple of years at least.

It was getting where I could hardly see what I was working on.

It cost $7.70+ shipping.(fedex)

https://sandblaster-parts.com/products/window-protectors?variant=12191088262

Glad there were no peanuts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1