Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

14 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Oh happy days....finally got the demons out of my TT arm.  Thought I might have bad bearings even though the arm was new.  Turns out the arm is super finicky but with the new digital tracking force gauge fresh from Amazon I set the Ortofon cartridge at 1.9 and am good to go.  Dylan's Blood On The Tracks sounds marvelous!

} Oohh - you’ve got bad bearings - just sayin’ - 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Magic mushrooms" contain the hallucinogenic compound psilocybin.

"Magic mushrooms" contain the hallucinogenic compound psilocybin.

(CNN)"Magic mushrooms" may have moved one step closer to becoming a treatment for depression.

The active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms is called psilocybin -- and a new British study suggests it could safely be used to treat depression when other drugs have failed, offering hope to millions of patients worldwide.
The study, conducted by King's College London and mental healthcare company Compass Pathways, administered psilocybin to 89 healthy adult volunteers.
The study compared the effects of 10mg and 25mg doses of psilocybin, and a placebo.

There were "no serious adverse events" and "no negative effects" on cognitive and emotional function among the volunteers that took psilocybin, according to a Compass Pathways press release. Instead, the volunteers experienced "changes in sensory perception and positive mood alteration" -- typical effects of psychedelic drugs.
"The results of the study are clinically reassuring and support further development of psilocybin as a treatment for patients with mental health problems that haven't improved with conventional therapy, such as treatment resistant depression," said James Rucker, one of the lead researchers from King's College London, in the press release.
This is just the first of two phases in their testing -- the second phase trial will involve over 200 patients with depression across Europe and North America
  • Like 3

good for migraine and cluster headaches, too. Sposed to prevent for 6 months+ per dose

I hear it's good for preventing migraine/cluster headaches, too

ditched Windows. Had linnux installed. I'll be fumbling around till I get more familiar.  Not into that kinda thing, but it is sposed to be much less trouble in the long run. The time consuming part was backing up the old stuff.Photos and that.

You'll prolly hear me cussing the computer periodically until I find my way around.  Lucky I remembered passwords. Didn't have them saved.

Edited by grasshopper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mornin' All

It's a LedZeppelin AM. Into 2nd pot of coffee already. Frost on the pumpkins.

Normal chaos resumes. Had company all weekend. Friend [IT guy] called Friday afternoon ... Got a wild hair and decided to drop in .. from Albuquerque. The fog horn came on in the dog house. Visibility dropped to 2 or 3 ft. Then we went to find some mud to splash on his Jeep. It sez "Trail Rated"  and he's testing that statement. Found a wet creek to wallow it in.

He did the conversion to Linux for me. Computer is much faster w/o windows bogging it down. He put Epiphany in it... deleted microsoft, 

@BigStewMan

I think about how I abused myself, too... we survived. If we had not done what we did, would be still be around to tell the stories? Fate is what it is. I got into trouble. Wished I had not ... but, because it did happen, I don't think I would have gotten the opportunity to live in HI. Things go the way they are supposed to.

Had to chase down a loose connection in the stereo connections. That crackle crackle noise. Frig cats into things....  5 by 5 now.

• Like 4

Good luck with the OS change. I tried it about a year ago and couldn't open .jpegs , .pngs, my old saved important emails. forgot to reformat my storage drives from ntfs...... Hated the mail programs... thunderbird.. nope, evolution was a little better. After office became crap I've used eM Client and libre office.

AM Zep? :)

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 2

Good accomplishments grasshopper!  Other than my usual forums and FB I know little.  Been reading the thread on streaming and most of the jargon there is Greek to me. This morning with Jake in my lap I reached for the opened lap top with one hand and accidentally changed the language on FB to Spanish.  Now when you go to settings on FB for help it all comes up in Spanish!  Finally figured it out.

So Monday for me was clean up day.  Used the foam cannon on the Z4 and the leaf blower to dry it.  Looking spiffy again.  Had a cup of coffee and rested a bit and then decided to wash Jake (not with the soap cannon).  Got the shampoo, conditioner, wash cloth, turned the shower on warm, and we took a shower together (sorry no pictures Carl).  Jake looks spiffy too.

Another day in the slow lane........

• Like 4

oh hey

I have a little project.

Replace wheelbarrow handles. I must use them hard. This is the 2 pair I've broken. It does get used regularly. Several times a week. Haul groceries, firewood, yard trash, rock/s

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Other than my usual forums and FB I know little.  Been reading the thread on streaming and most of the jargon there is Greek to me.

I with you. I don't use the computer for more than email, forums and streaming music. When he was setting it up, all of his questions were met with a blank stare and an "I don't know"

Ya know that we are the last generation to know what life was like w/o computers everywhere

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Got the shampoo, conditioner, wash cloth, turned the shower on warm, and we took a shower together (sorry no pictures Carl).  Jake looks spiffy too.

Another day in the slow lane........

It would not be quite the slow lane if it were not jake with you in there. there were better choices.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I have a little project.

Replace wheelbarrow handles. I must use them hard. This is the 2 pair I've broken. It does get used regularly. Several times a week. Haul groceries, firewood, yard trash, rock/s

A long time ago when I used one regularly I made one change that made it 100% better. I had a second wheel so i got a metal rod the same thickness as the axle but longer and drilled a hole on each end to hold a cotter pin. Put it through where the old shaft went and put one wheel on each side then a big washer and pin to hold it together. Then it was one tire on each side, it was MUCH easier to roll over dirt or grass and would not want to fall side to side. Much better.

I see they sell them like that now, it really is much better.

1-2-2b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like that. I have another [one or two] wheelbarrows here. One is similar to the one I fixed today, Same brand, even. Not the same undercarriage, unfortunately. Close, not close enough to cannibalize from, though.

I should be using the all metal one. The wheel is metal, handles are metal.  It came with the place. There are some interesting items laying around. A two wheel trailer made from the back of a pickup truck...  wood bed and wire spoke wheels. No idea what it was in its previous life. Someone said the axel looked like it came from a tractor. A push mower with a wooden handle and cast metal wheels. A 20gal cast iron cauldron... with lid. Found a box [empty] of blasting caps in one of the sheds. A Folger's coffee can from before my memory, and my folks drank that stuff. Another coffee can, different brand,  I found proudly announced that the coffee had been irradiated.

rambling now

I did manage to get the new handles on the wheelbarrow. They nearly fit. Holes for the "bucket" were an inch long. Drilled a couple holes in the bucket. I dinna really expect them to fit. That's one of Murphy's Laws on the perversity of nature. The farther you has to go to get something is directly proportional to it being the wrong part.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, grasshopper said:

we survived.

that we did.  no idea why though.  The good Lord just smiled on me for some reason. i know those that didn’t survive. You know, surviving would be much better if I could forget though. oh well ... that was then, this is now. Heard a minister say once that it didn’t matter which direction you came from, all that matters is which direction are you going.  I’m thankfully on a different path now.  Peace.

• Like 6

On 12/13/2019 at 11:38 AM, dtel said:

Trucks will do that to you. 

you know what is amazing.  I’m the third person in my family to be run over ... and all of us survived ... even my Aunt that was in her 70s.  Stubborn Portugee Pride I guess, or maybe all that homemade whisky we used to get back in the day ... we called it “jackass.” Every family function, there would come a time that someone would come out with a tray of shot glasses full of the Jackass. That stuff was powerful. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

The good Lord just smiled on me for some reason. i know those that didn’t survive.

I feel the same way, should be dead by now, but maby it's tomorrow who knows.

I’m the third person in my family to be run over ... and all of us survived ..

Wow that's crazy, at least I didn't get run over.

Stubborn Portugee Pride I guess, or maybe all that homemade whisky we used to get back in the day ... we called it “jackass.” Every family function, there would come a time that someone would come out with a tray of shot glasses full of the Jackass. That stuff was powerful. 

Sounds like a fun family, mine was kind of mild........so someone had to make up for it, I elected myself. But since getting old I have slowed down 80% of all that, that percentage changes at times depending on who I'm with. 

• Like 4