Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

15 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yur pulling my leg right? Eating is a sport? Not in my book, sorry. I must be a racist or some other adjective that has NO meaning anymore.

Nope, serious.  These guys train as much as anyone else.

Many professional competitive eaters undergo rigorous personal training in order to increase their stomach capacity and eating speed with various foods. Stomach elasticity is usually considered the key to eating success, and competitors commonly train by drinking large amounts of water over a short time to stretch out the stomach. Others combine the consumption of water with large quantities of low calorie foods such as vegetables or salads. Some eaters chew large amounts of gum in order to build jaw strength.[9] Perhaps paradoxically, maintaining a low body fat percentage is thought to be helpful in competitive eating; this is known as the belt of fat theory.

For a marquee event like the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, some eaters, like current contest champion Joey Chestnut, will begin training several months before the event with personal time trials using the contest food.[10] Retired competitive eater Ed "Cookie" Jarvis trained by consuming entire heads of boiled cabbage followed by drinking up to two gallons of water every day for two weeks before a contest.[11] Due to the risks involved with training alone or without emergency medical supervision, the IFOCE actively discourages training of any sort.[12]

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

What makes one sport better than another?  We're just talking about domination of one person over others that do the same thing.

You'll have to ask USA Today ... what you quoted was an excerpt from their article not my opinion. 

I tend to agree with you although if you ask me ... dipping the buns in water in a kinda gross.

• Like 2

Talk about eating ... check this chick out. She completed this challenge twice ... back to back.  That's nine pounds of steak alone, not counting the baked potato, salad, roll, and shrimp. The first challenge win was in under five minutes ... both done in under 15 minutes. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

what you quoted was an excerpt from their article not my opinion. 

I thought it was you who laughed when they put him above Bill Russell.  I'm confused.  What's new.

Watering the buns is gross.  The whole thing is gross but entertaining.  I just can't fathom eating that much in that amount of time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I thought it was you who laughed when they put him above Bill Russell.  I'm confused.  What's new.

Watering the buns is gross.  The whole thing is gross but entertaining.  I just can't fathom eating that much in that amount of time.

I did laugh; but the text in a different font was copied from USA Today.   Did you hear choir music when you read it?  if not, it wasn't my quote.

51 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I bet you can fathom it if the contest revolved around how many slushies can be slurped in ten minutes - 🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

took the wife to a steak dinner for one time... She about bit the waiter's hand when he stupidly thought she was done with her t-bone before she chewed on the bone

it's raining

about 10 miles away

comin' a beach. 

flood warnings all up and down the valley. It's sunny here... dark as off to the east.We'll be lucky if we get any on this one. Did cool the temp to 75 -80`. I have the windows/doors open..  Was pushing 100 at noon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I just can't fathom eating that much in that amount of time.

There is a word for it: gluttony....Just curious during(well actually after) do they make sure the "contestants" don't go vomit it all up?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, babadono said:

There is a word for it: gluttony....Just curious during(well actually after) do they make sure the "contestants" don't go vomit it all up?

Yes, I seen some competitions on video and if you puke -- you're disqualified. 

I've seen contests where they're eating hot peppers too. No way, I'd try that.

To me, the worst would be peppers or pancakes -- after a few pancakes, they start to taste gross.  now, that is with syrup, I imagine in a competition they'd be dry.

I used to have a mammoth appetite; but not any more. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

took the wife to a steak dinner for one time... She about bit the waiter's hand when he stupidly thought she was done with her t-bone before she chewed on the bone

it's raining

about 10 miles away

comin' a beach. 

flood warnings all up and down the valley. It's sunny here... dark as off to the east.We'll be lucky if we get any on this one. Did cool the temp to 75 -80`. I have the windows/doors open..  Was pushing 100 at noon.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I used to have a mammoth appetite; but not any more. 

Yep, pretty common I imagine as we age. I used to be able to really pack it away. My MIL who spoke no English used to comment to my wife, as I later found out, Where the hell does he put all that?

• Haha 3