Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

so would you say that me loving the ceiling painted black is funky?  I read an article once that said the wall behind your television should be black. Once upon a time, I had a huge area rug that was black and I nailed it to the wall behind the tv -- it didn't look bad. But then, my house always did get the looks. One year my Christmas lights were black lights.  I had a living room wall painted dark orange and had tube lights along the ceiling that were also orange. At night, if I had the blinds open, there was this orange glow you could see from the street. I wonder if people thought the place was on fire?

Before the orange lights, I had green ones. 

One year, my Christmas tree was all white with only black bulbs. Now that looked cool and although at first people thought it sounded crazy, everyone that has seen one said it actually was good.

I recently sold 16 Lava lamps that have been in the bedroom for years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

so would you say that me loving the ceiling painted black is funky?

Yes

I read an article once that said the wall behind your television should be black.

Then they sold light to put behind the Tv it is said to make it easier on your eyes ?

I had a huge area rug that was black and I nailed it to the wall behind the tv -- it didn't look bad. But then, my house always did get the looks. One year my Christmas lights were black lights.  I had a living room wall painted dark orange and had tube lights along the ceiling that were also orange. At night, if I had the blinds open, there was this orange glow you could see from the street. I wonder if people thought the place was on fire?

One year, my Christmas tree was all white with only black bulbs. Now that looked cool and although at first people thought it sounded crazy, everyone that has seen one said it actually was good.

Sounds like an old hippie thing.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NADman said:

I recently sold 16 Lava lamps that have been in the bedroom for years.

Gave a old green one to the grandson a while back, the other day after he remodeled his room he asked me if I wanted it back, I said no. But said if it wouldn't freeze in the winter I would put it out in the yard tiki bar, I wondered what would happen if I replace some of the water with antifreeze ?

On 7/16/2020 at 8:03 PM, dtel said:

I would rather have flies and skeeters.

I look at it this way:  what do flies and skeeters do?  They contaminate my food and suck my blood, along with maybe infecting me with something unpleasant.  What do spiders do?  Neither of those things.  Instead, they eat the critters that do those things.  It looks like a good deal to me.

Also, the little jumping spiders (they can only jump an inch at most) are curious and will sometimes walk onto your finger.  I think they’re the only spiders I have, and I don’t mind them.  I have no flies or mosquitoes.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

so would you say that me loving the ceiling painted black is funky?  I read an article once that said the wall behind your television should be black. Once upon a time, I had a huge area rug that was black and I nailed it to the wall behind the tv -- it didn't look bad. But then, my house always did get the looks. One year my Christmas lights were black lights.  I had a living room wall painted dark orange and had tube lights along the ceiling that were also orange. At night, if I had the blinds open, there was this orange glow you could see from the street. I wonder if people thought the place was on fire?

Many years ago, when I was only twenty-one, I moved in with my girlfriend, who lived in a high-rise building in Don Mills, an early suburb of Toronto.  We didn’t have much furniture, and had no dining room table.  I had my motorcycle, and, as happens in much of Canada when the snow falls, the bikes go indoors.  Naturally, you do the move very late in the evening, so you don’t have any awkward discussions if someone boards the elevator and is surprised to see a motorcycle in it.  The bike looked great under the dining room chandelier, but the little white lights weren’t quite right.  The bike, a 1970 Yamaha R5, only a few months old, had wide horizontal stripes on the gas tank, burgundy and white.  Accordingly, I installed burgundy bulbs in the chandelier, almost that “black light blue” colour.   The combo looked great!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Islander said:

I look at it this way:  what do flies and skeeters do?  They contaminate my food and suck my blood, along with maybe infecting me with something unpleasant.  What do spiders do?  Neither of those things.  Instead, they eat the critters that do those things.  It looks like a good deal to me.

Also, the little jumping spiders (they can only jump an inch at most) are curious and will sometimes walk onto your finger.  I think they’re the only spiders I have, and I don’t mind them.  I have no flies or mosquitoes.

I'd rather get stung by a mud dauber that bit by a spider.

Wasp sting will stop hurting before 24 hours is up most times. Spider bites a week possibly... sometimes fester up and hurt for two months while you have to clean, put goop on it and once went to the dr for one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, dtel said:

Gave a old green one to the grandson a while back, the other day after he remodeled his room he asked me if I wanted it back, I said no. But said if it wouldn't freeze in the winter I would put it out in the yard tiki bar, I wondered what would happen if I replace some of the water with antifreeze ?

Lava lamps already have antifreeze in them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Islander said:

Many years ago, when I was only twenty-one, I moved in with my girlfriend, who lived in a high-rise building in Don Mills, an early suburb of Toronto.  We didn’t have much furniture, and had no dining room table.  I had my motorcycle, and, as happens in much of Canada when the snow falls, the bikes go indoors.  Naturally, you do the move very late in the evening, so you don’t have any awkward discussions if someone boards the elevator and is surprised to see a motorcycle in it.  The bike looked great under the dining room chandelier, but the little white lights weren’t quite right.  The bike, a 1970 Yamaha R5, only a few months old, had wide horizontal stripes on the gas tank, burgundy and white.  Accordingly, I installed burgundy bulbs in the chandelier, almost that “black light blue” colour.   The combo looked great!

It's just that it is a spider. :wacko2:

I'm not scared or other bugs, poisonous snakes or anything I can think of. Little spiders don't bother me, the big and the hairy ones are the problem. 

1. I hate spiders

2. I am scared of spiders

3. see #1&2 

I know they eat bugs, but we have MANY frogs and different lizards here that do the same thing, no spiders welcome. 

• Like 3

Baby Snakes
Late at night is when they come out
Baby Snakes
Sure you know what I'm talkin' about
Pink 'n' wet
They make the best kinda pet
Baby
Baby
Snakes

Looked around
An' there's a couple right near me
Baby Snakes
Maybe I think they can probably hear me
Pink 'n' wet
I'll take all I can get
Baby
Baby
Sna-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-kes, Yeah

They live in a ho-ho-hole
(Tiny hole)
That is usually empty
(usually empty, tiny too)
They live by a code
(Dit dit dit dit)
That is usually SMPTE
Which stands for
*Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers*
Maybe I think
That is what keeps them in sync
They're wet 'n' they're pink
I think I'll give 'em a, give 'em a
Give 'em a drink

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Wasp sting will stop hurting before 24 hours is up most times. Spider bites a week possibly... sometimes fester up and hurt for two months while you have to clean, put goop on it and once went to the dr for one!

True I got bit a few times, it didn't really hurt but did itch for a week and had a lump.

The worst bee/wasp sting is either the ones that make a nest underground and a different one that makes a nest in bushes. Both are tiny but much worse than the bigger ones, they make a sore bump for a week. And they will chase you a long way.:unsure2:

• Like 2

Elden,

I can go with not liking spiders. 

Not many people do.  I'm not crazy about them. I am OK with tarantulas... We have so many that are much less nice, that they make tarantulas look almost cuddly. Add that they are generally slow moving and won't lay you out if you get bitten.... then... you will only get bit if you are messing with them. It takes some doing to make them defensive. Just for fun, we have a BIG wasp, the Tarantula Hawk, that takes them out... I would rather deal with the spider than them. Good thing they are solitary.

I had to disassemble the stove to let the bird out. My big mistake was taking the damper out. That was easy. Getting it back into place was a pita. 2 hrs of reaching up the chimney , trying to line everything up by Braille.

Wife made me laugh after it was all done... Sez "Your hair smells good"..

sure it does... just like ash and creosote. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Yeah, I’ve heard that some spider bites can be pretty bad.  However, the little jumping spiders are so tiny that they’re unable to break human skin, so I feel pretty safe when I see one.

• Like 3