Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

The jumpers are hard to stomp they can move quick, I like my Ortho Home Defense sprayer inside and outside!!

Lightning again... chased me inside.

@dtel sounds like yellowjackets, yep they're mean. Spider bites that I'd give notice must have had poison in `em, because they hurt while they itched for that month or two.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Daddy Long Legs venom is more potent than Black Widow.  Fangs can't get through our skin.

Bee stings tend to fester up on me. Tis the nature of puncture wounds.

Stepped on a bee once that was alive.  Right in the tender part of the foot.  Stepped on a dead one too, still hurt for a while but not like the live one.  I don't go barefoot much anymore.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, dtel said:

True I got bit a few times, it didn't really hurt but did itch for a week and had a lump.

The worst bee/wasp sting is either the ones that make a nest underground and a different one that makes a nest in bushes. Both are tiny but much worse than the bigger ones, they make a sore bump for a week. And they will chase you a long way.:unsure2:

Noticed a spot on my hand one morning. By lunch, there was a red line running up my arm to the elbow. Decided to go to the doc as I recognize the sign of blood poisoning. Doctor used some 50 cent word to tell me what it was ... a long word though. Then said it a form of flesh-eating bacteria. She said I got it from a spider bite and it was probably a brown recluse.

She gave me a shot and told me to put my shirt back on. I asked her a question as I was getting dressed and she looked up to answer. Then she said, "Did you have that rash when you came in here?"  I said "What rash."  She told me to remove my shirt and then said, "Crap, you're allergic to that medication that I just gave you."  SO, she had to inject me with some steroids. 

Something similar happened another time. It was about 10 at night and I noticed a very minor wound on my hand and it didn't look right. I thought it was blood poisoning again. I contemplated just going to bed and dealing with it in the morning; but decided that I'd better go to the ER.  Doc examined it and said, "I'm glad that you didn't delay coming in." Then he showed me the wound and explained what was starting and said, "This is NOT what we want to see happen."  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

GREAT JOB on that room Elden!  The colors look fantastic together!  The Gray walls & the Scarlet chair seal the deal.  Think that boy is a Buckeye already!  I'll send him a t-shirt!  :)

So if there isn’t a college football season, and Ohio State is ranked preseason Number 1, does that mean we are the 2020 National Champions?
Asking for me and not a friend!

Btw, I do know  ichigan still sucks!  😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/18/2020 at 12:55 PM, oldtimer said:

Stepped on a bee once that was alive.  Right in the tender part of the foot.  Stepped on a dead one too, still hurt for a while but not like the live one.  I don't go barefoot much anymore.

One time, when I was on the racetrack, I got a bee inside my leathers.  It was probably buzzing along, minding its own business,, then I come flying along, and next thing it knows, it’s blown down the neck of my racing suit and is trapped somewhere in the chest area.  I felt something, probably a bite instead of a sting, because it kept doing it.  I did some desperate slapping on my chest with one hand, and then tried so hard to lower the zipper that I tore the top part away from the leather.

Luckily, it happened during a practice session, so I wasn’t in the middle of a pack of riders, and was able to pull off the pavement safely and try to see what had happened.  I don’t think I even found the bee (Memory.  This was around 1982, so it’s a little bit vague.), but I assumed that’s what it was, because I’d been able to feel a little bump under the leather, so it wasn’t a mosquito or something like that.

After that, I always wore a bandanna or a skier’s neck tube.  One experience like that is more than enough.  Racing:  always something new and exciting, and often unexpected!

• Like 2

Trying day and evening yesterday.  My mouse started to get stupid.  Battery out then back in and it worked, then quit again, played on an off for hours.  Saw a Klipsch sub along w/some funky looking Bose speakers and dvd players @ my buddies on line auction.  Yea, I know allll about Klipsch subs from seeing posts in here but there wasn't a bid on the pile, which sold last nite @ 7.  Thought I'd bid it and if it went cheap and worked I'd use it somewhere, maybe.  Signed in, the auction was in progress and the pile was @ $15 and I was playing beat the clock bidding.  Perfect!  Time to bid $20 w/only 45 seconds left.  Ha!  Gonna steal it maybe.  Go to bid the $20 and the stupid mouse wouldn't work again.  Battery in, battery out, beating it on the mouse pad.  Nada.  Guess it wasn't meant to be but I did get a new mouse this morning.  hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Daddy Long Legs venom is more potent than Black Widow.  Fangs can't get through our skin.

I get them on sometimes when I am cutting grass, I brush them off, there not bad tiny body helps.

20 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

She said I got it from a spider bite and it was probably a brown recluse.

A friend at work once got bit by one unpacking crates with straw used for cushioning. He spent months in the hospital, almost lost a hand and had some nasty scars left over.

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Our middle daughter when she was about 10 years old ran across the back yard barefoot. We didn't realize it was the time of the year caterpillars build nest in oak trees and fall out and the yard was covered with them. She was in the hospital for a week.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Same here....

except it was a snake in the dark of 5am taking the trash out two summers ago. Week later I couldn't move my leg, wasn't poison it was the immuno in combination with bacteria from a cold blooded thing. Put the flip-flops on now!

* @dtel

The recluse is a pretty big spider and the viola on it's back is fair warning.... that one got away because I jumped out of the porta--- before I finished and got laughed at until I got a guy to go look above the door inside.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2020 at 11:10 PM, dtel said:

Grandson needed a new computer desk. We remodeled his room, his choice of wall color and floors. He also picked out the color of stain for the desk one was not dark enough so we went with red oak and came back with provincial over it to get some of the red out. A few coats of poly satin with a car sprayer and left to sit a couple days.

He's happy with it, a new bed frame (different size bed) and end tables are next.

he also picked the size and shape of the desk. Regular 2x6's were used, he wanted that look.

image.jpeg

big computer -   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Amen for the poor bee -

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, dtel said:

Gave a old green one to the grandson a while back, the other day after he remodeled his room he asked me if I wanted it back, I said no. But said if it wouldn't freeze in the winter I would put it out in the yard tiki bar, I wondered what would happen if I replace some of the water with antifreeze ?

I've studied them a lot. Tried every trick, hint or suggestion I could possibly find.

Probably wrecked a dozen or more trying.

NADA. Secret formula. Best advice is don't shake, hot or cold.

• Haha 2

Oh... we have recluses here. When I move lumber, I flip in over before I grab hold to move it.  Nasty things live in piles of wood/lumber... Scorpions, all manner of spiders and the odd snake.... shaka shake snake...

Last one of those on the property met an untimely death.  I'm all for leave it alone and it will go away.... The cats had it surrounded. And it was PO'd.  Wife decided I should dispatch it. So, I asked to bring me something to kill it with. I was thinking a shovel or the like.. I don't remember all what she brought before she got to something that would work... I know she brought me a broom and a few other stupid "weapons"... then she came out with my broadsword ... Now that's a knife!

Kinda figures I would have a broadsword, doesn't it?

Bugs on a motorcycle are lots of fun.  A june bug might as well be a stone. Had a butterfly smoosh on my visor then blow under it. Was going for lunch... the waitress commented that I had some mustard on my cheek..

. .... and there are swarms of, what we called, cyclone gnats. There is no defence for them... in your eyes, up your nose and DO NOT open your mouth.

Took a bee of some sort... All I know was a stinger in my arm and a trail of guts.

and Yes, many venoms retain some potency when dry...

Elden

sounds like we have a lot of the same pests..  We have caterpillars that sting, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

big computer -

It is big, that was his mistake. He ordered it thinking his computer he was replacing was a Mid size cabinet but he thought it was a full. So when he ordered it he got a full cabinet, he was quite surprised when he got it, it's huge. It has many fans and more ram then all the other computers in the house put together, I think it's 64gb of ram, not sure. He got it for gaming, I know nothing about that but he says it works great ?

• Like 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Bugs on a motorcycle are lots of fun.  A june bug might as well be a stone. Had a butterfly smoosh on my visor then blow under it. Was going for lunch... the waitress commented that I had some mustard on my cheek..

I was thinking about that a little while ago when I went for a ride with out oldest daughter. Her husband and her ride motorcycles. She got rid of her bike and got this, it's slightly better than 2 wheels. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Elden

sounds like we have a lot of the same pests..  We have caterpillars that sting, too.

We don't have the big hairy spiders for the most part or scorpions, and not many rattlesnakes, but the rest probably so, and were both married.

• Haha 1

Last night's coffee and warm, fresh from the oven bread pudding

Red sky ... maybe it will rain

and most likely not

Good mornin' all

Cool this AM. I could wear a robe.  Not 70`.

How are you folks doing ith the heat? I know it's gotta be ugly. Lived in IN.  We didn't have A/C. Prolly why we were at the pool all summer. Or in the creek, river, pond, gravel pit, lake.... If indoors - the basement.

Starting out to be a peaceful morning. Then, I'm the only one up.

Lost my wifi last night

Sorry, Elden.

Those 3 wheelers are a step backwards from the old style sports cars. Was watching How It's Made... They were talking about the old British sports cars and how they grew the 4th wheel to not be a motorcycle... or something like that.  I would like to take one of them out for a spin. I suppose they are kinda like a sidecar. Never been in one of those, either. Can't lean into the corners, or you have to do it different from a bike.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

Cool this AM. I could wear a robe.  Not 70`.

How are you folks doing ith the heat? I know it's gotta be ugly. Lived in IN.  We didn't have A/C. Prolly why we were at the pool all summer. Or in the creek, river, pond, gravel pit, lake.... If indoors - the basement.

Morning Willie!

It's only in the 80s in the last couple hours since I've had my hi-test and got moving.

Okay except for that mid to late summertime humidity. WU station three blocks away says 83 and 76%, it's not good going in and out like I'm doing so I turned that dehumidifier back on for the daylight run today. Usually just turn it on when I go to bed and that's enough to keep it in the low 50% inside all the time.

• Like 4