Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

Never seen one jump.

I'm probably mistaken.  My daughter once freaked out because she saw this scary spider. she described it and I looked on the internet and found what she thought it was and like she said, the thing suddenly jumped a long distance. I thought it was a sun spider, but my memory is not what it once was and even then it wasn't all that great.  I do remember being a kid and a new kid moved to town and we saw a scorpion, he was so scared because I told them that they could jump a long way -- he wouldn't get near it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I just saw the forecast for Death Valley ... this Sunday it's supposed to be 126 degrees.  hate be driving there and the car break down -- the could be deadly.

That’s crazy hot.  If your car is dead, you probably wouldn’t survive an attempt to walk to find help.  Hopefully, any passing car would stop to help, or bring you to somewhere safe.

Canada can be really cold in the winter, cold enough to kill you.  This may be why so many of us carry booster cables, either to help ourselves or to help someone else who needs a boost.  Also, when you drop someone off at home in wintertime, you watch and make sure that they get inside safely and weren’t locked out.  Then you leave.  For that matter, that’s a good practice anywhere when you drop off a woman.  Also, it shows her that you care for her safety.

Back to the frigid weather.  If you drop someone off at their car in freezing weather, you wait until they get their engine started before you leave.  There’s nothing like seeing your friend drive away when it’s -20F and then finding that you’re stranded in a dark parking lot with a car that won’t start.

Those customs were standard practice/courtesy when I lived in Eastern Canada, prior to 2001, so things may have changed a bit, now that cars have dependable ignition and fuel injection systems.  Even so, it’s good to look after each other, don’t you agree?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

Also, when you drop someone off at home in wintertime, you watch and make sure that they get inside safely and weren’t locked out.  Then you leave.

Sound practice for everyone, every season.

Same for any vehicle drop off. Thanks.

• Like 4

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:
1 hour ago, Islander said:

don’t you agree?

100% agree.

I agree with both of you, BUT it has anything to do with a spider both of you are on your own, I'm gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

deal.  we'd make a good team, you're afraid of spiders and I'm afraid of everything else.

Great, nothing else bothers me except that. :emotion-21:

3 minutes ago, Islander said:

No spiders in sight here.

They probably freeze in winter ?

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's true, I was thinking further into Canada, but your on the coast so that's a different climate. I have seen many pictures from BC, an amazing place, beautiful. If I were to visit Canada it would be my first choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From bears to spiders😑  I capture everything that makes it in the house and set them free with two exceptions.  I swat flies and a roach (water bug). 

Thunder storms about every day now.  Jake was barking at the lightning last night....put him in LF's large closet so he couldn't see it. He slept without a peep.

Hey Carl....heard on the news that one in four folks tested in Texas were positive for Covid.  Be careful and no hugging oldtimer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Hey Carl....heard on the news that one in four folks tested in Texas were positive for Covid.  Be careful and no hugging oldtimer.

I had no idea and hope it's the mildest case possible.  Not to worry though, Brian doesn't really come off as huggable.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, mungkiman said:

I haven't experienced temperatures anywhere near that since my 2008 adventure in Saudi Arabia.

I was not permitted to wear shorts, and wished I had brought my grandfather's thobe.

in Egypt , it is oven hot in the day , but the moment the sun sets , it is quite the contrast with pleasurable outings  , and a different lifestyle opens up for a few hours with parties till the early light --they call it , the Arabian  Nights -

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dtel said:

That's true, I was thinking further into Canada, but your on the coast so that's a different climate. I have seen many pictures from BC, an amazing place, beautiful. If I were to visit Canada it would be my first choice.

if you like  Nature and nothing but nature -------peace-quiet ----0 population ----no pollution -fresh air -  Banff Alberta

-Cruise to Banff, Alberta, Canada | Cruise to Canada | Alaska Cruises

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday we had our first 100 degree day of the year here in East Texas and of all days it was my mowing day; or as I refer to it, 6 hours of fun in the Hot Texas Sun!

There's supposed to be a cold front coming through early Monday morning that will cool us down to high 80's/low 90's for a couple of weeks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Jake was barking at the lightning last night....put him in LF's large closet so he couldn't see it. He slept without a peep.

Well yea, I was petting him to keep him quiet so you wouldn't open it again. :lol:

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

if you like  Nature and nothing but nature -------peace-quiet ----0 population ----no pollution -fresh air -  Banff Alberta

Great looking area

• Like 2