Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Not sure that’s Lake Louise... looks more like Moraine Lake. There are a number of glacial lakes like that which are accessible for a hike, most along highway 1, 1A or 93. Not to mention beautiful water falls. We just drove from Calgary to Victoria (with some help from BC Ferries) for annual visit. I’ve been doing that drive once or twice per year since 1978 and never get tired of it... tired of crazy drivers, but not of Alberta and BC.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Trade offs wherever you live.   

Yep, living in KC vicinity is a far north as I told my wife would ever live. So yeah, we’re moving about thirty five miles south.

Although I don’t believe this puts me out of the cold and snow of winter — at least it’s in the right direction. It’s the grandkids I tell ya,

the grandkids holding us hostage. At least that’s what’s holding the wife, my heart is much colder than hers - 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richieb said:

it’s in the right direction. It’s the grandkids I tell ya,

the grandkids holding us hostage. At least that’s what’s holding the wife, my heart is much colder than hers - 

Me too.  I'm not leaving my granddaughter for anything.  That doesn't mean i'm not going to continue to convince her parents to move.  LOL 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

There you go Bill.  Park a nice double wide on the side of the hill and forget California.

I wish I could, that sounds like a great idea. I doubt if my 19 year old daughter would like it there, no malls! I could take up fishing and hunting....what did Lenny say..."live off the fat of the land"

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

It is stunning. When you get closer though the view is a bit obscured by all the mosquitos, deer and black flies that abound in the north.

I experienced some nasty bugs in northern Wisconsin years ago, not fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, richieb said:

It’s the grandkids I tell ya,

I guess I'm a big jerk then ... I moved away from the kids and grandkids.  I don't have a wife anymore and my kids have long been on their own. It's their life now, sure I'll help if they need it; but they rarely asked ... and in fact only one has EVER asked for any help. I think the we're raised plays a huge role in things like this. I didn't grow up in a close knit household, sure we all loved other; but it's not like we all hung around with each other. five of us kids and we all had our own friends and rarely did our brothers or sisters tag along -- they did their own thing. And there was a big chasm between the adults and the children ... the parents and my eldest sister all ate dinner in one room and the rest of us at at the table in the kitchen. We'd only sit down together for Thanksgiving and Christmas. All of us kids, turned 18 and went out on our own ... well, I was only 17 when I left home and I think my brother was only 17 when he left. 

That's just the way it was at our house.  we grew up and left and started our own lives ... that's why I say that where you grew up isn't home -- that's your parent's home. We grow up and go find our own way in life. 

Not saying that our way was the best or even the right way ... we were well cared for, just didn't hang out very often. Probably why I'm a sucker for the old tv shows like Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver -- just looks like a good home environment. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Doesn't look right without a few beer cans strewed here and there.

booze-beer  is  really cheap in Alberta   just don't buy it in Banff ,  buy it in Calgary  where it's less expensive  it's like 15-20 $ Can for  great whiskey ------and the bigger bottles are even cheaper by volume --

• Like 2