Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 10/1/2020 at 6:46 PM, RandyH000 said:

what the hell were you doing buck naked out in the desert -

... speaking of naked

they're doing a Naked and Afraid a few miles north of here.

gonna need some serious editing

the A-10's, hunters, prospectors, illegals and BP.

they start filming today. Tried to get them in a relatively "fat"  season. Too bad we didn't get any rain this year. They will have to eat mesquite beans and prickly pear pads and whatever bugs [I hear scorpions are edible] they can find. Water will be problematic. The cattle tanks are dry or too thick to drink and too thin to plow...

... and then the weather. It is getting cool [mid/low 50's] at night, and still pushing 100` during the day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

... speaking of naked

they're doing a Naked and Afraid a few miles north of here.

gonna need some serious editing

the A-10's, hunters, prospectors, illegals and BP.

they start filming today. Tried to get them in a relatively "fat"  season. Too bad we didn't get any rain this year. They will have to eat mesquite beans and prickly pear pads and whatever bugs [I hear scorpions are edible] they can find. Water will be problematic. The cattle tanks are dry or too thick to drink and too thin to plow...

... and then the weather. It is getting cool [mid/low 50's] at night, and still pushing 100` during the day.

How are you Grasshopper ----unreal   ,  too hot , guess what --it's been heavy rain  here since April  ,  no wonder you're not getting any  , it's sitting north-east -

----Hollywood  productions we usually   do 3 per year , for 20% of our work  only  , so we're doing ok -mid October should be the re-start of the movie  industry for 2020  across North America -  I would say 2021 should be 50%  better as some stalled productions will get off the ground slowly , slowly

• Like 3

too hot?   not really. Unseasonably warm? yes. It's behaving like June -- still

we leave the windows open at night, and close them when the outside temp gets warmer than in... so the house stays cool. The "shorter" days help, too... otherwise it would be 110`. That IS warm.

I'm doing much better since quitting that supplement - even though the Drs at the hospital poo-pooed the notion that it was the problem. It may not be the problem, but, I'm not one [much] for coincidence... Have an appt to get the read on my stress test. I'm guessing it's not that bad or they would have booked me a room.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

too hot?   not really. Unseasonably warm? yes. It's behaving like June -- still

we leave the windows open at night, and close them when the outside temp gets warmer than in... so the house stays cool. The "shorter" days help, too... otherwise it would be 110`. That IS warm

in Northern NY-VT-Quebec , we get heat waves of 85-90 a few days of the year  and most can't cope with the heat  as we are used to the colder conditions  - 90-100  degrees we stop working , everything shuts down , 

we call it a heat stroke risk situation  , while it is harder to cool down and keep your body temperature within normal limits. At these times, prolonged exposure to heat, excessive physical exertion or very heavy sweating can have certain effects on health--

if you feel any of these symptoms -------call 911

• Headaches
  • Muscular cramps
  • Swollen hands, feet and ankles
  • Appearance of small red bumps on the skin, called a “heat rash”
  • Unusual fatigue or exhaustion
  • Generalized malaise
  • Signs of dehydration:
    • Intense thirst
    • Less frequent need to urinate
    • Dark urine
    • Dry skin
    • Rapid pulse and breathing
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Convulsions (stiffness of the body and jerky, involuntary muscle contractions)
  • Signs of impaired consciousness:
    • Confusion
    • Unusual behaviour
    • Agitation
    • Hallucinations
    • No response to stimuli
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Signs of heat stroke:
    • Temperature over 39.5 ºC (103.1 ºF) with an oral thermometer or over 40 ºC (104 ºF) with a rectal thermometer
    • Dry, red, hot skin or pale, cold skin
    • Dizziness and vertigo
    • Confused and illogical speech
    • Aggressive or bizarre behaviour
    • Generalized malaise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

but our r/h is considerably lower than most.  If it's over 30%, it is high. Not like a steam bath. You can feel cool by sitting in the shade. That and the temp in the sun is about 40`+ the temp in the shade.  You do need to drink water and maybe take salt tabs if you are working hard.

Most folks that work outdoors usually start at daybreak and are done early afternoon... then it's time for siesta. And a cold one. I was doing some roofing, we started 5AM and quit when the shingles turned to goo... around 1PM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool this AM... that is normal

gonna be entertaining my chef friend sometime today. Her visit is a bit different for the wife... she is wife's admin assistant. I'll keep the topic/s of convo away from work, if possible.

Oh...

found a possible reason for my 2 "Sorry, wrong number" calls from Raytheon. Wife was mentioning that there is a person in town that works for them and their phone # is very similar to ours...  a transposition error would get us instead of them. That they might have called me on purpose is still a possibility, being as I was doing aerial robotics at the time.

• Like 4

unwinding in the doghouse. Streaming JeckBeck Live+.  This little system isn't too bad to listen to. Doesn't take a lot to fill a 12 X 12 room....I guess.  From the main listening position, it thumps pretty good.

Nothin' exciting happening here.  Sunny and warm. I almost feel sorry for the weather forecasters. They get excited about a few clouds and some wind. The astronomical events that they cover gives them something t talk about.

My mind went into the gutter when I saw the "Man Lift" thread....

random association

I watch tractor pulls on tv....

There is/was a tractor "named" Vi- Agri

• Like 3
  • Haha 1