Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Just now, RandyH000 said:

Steve , why did you move into Oregon , is it a better climate overall from SoCal

I'm impulsive and I wanted a change. I lived most of my life in the Los Angeles area and just felt that I wanted to experience something different for a change. BIG MISTAKE -- I should have stayed put. NO, the climate is NOT better. this place is so damp that mold grows before your very eyes. The ground outside my back door has NEVER been dry since I moved here 18 months ago. I started off in Bend, Oregon which is an arid climate -- very cold in the winter though. Portland is the least favorite place I've ever lived in life. I did want to get out of Bend because it is so isolated -- 90,000 people in the middle of nowhere. Four hours drive to a city. Brother got cancer and one of the hospitals in Portland was ranked number 2 in the country for gastrointestinal cancer.  So the good Lord knew what He was doing sending us to Portland. The hospital was great ... everything else around sucks hard.Can't understand why people like this place.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

so  tell me , what's different in Oregon  , why is everybody moving there

Well, the housing is cheaper ... for my situation, taxes are higher. Not sure how different it would be if I bought a place; but I don't like this area enough to buy a place. When I left SoCal, I decided that I'd rent so I could have time to decide if I liked the area enough to buy.  Lived in two cities here in Oregon ... neither that I'd want to remain in for the long haul. 

Before my brother got sick, he was in the grocery industry and the cost of groceries is slightly higher here -- and the selection not near as good. 

I think people think of housing costs first and while I can understand how that is a key factor in a person's budget -- there is more to life than that. Back in 2004, I was paying over $3100 per month for my house in Los Angeles -- yeah that's a lot; but LA has so much more to offer for my taste. I lived within walking distance to the beach and spent every weekend down there. Concert venues are abundant. And of all the places that I've lived -- the weather in SoCal was the best. Cheaper housing just isn't worth all that I had to give up. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

everything else around sucks hard.Can't understand why people like this place.

we're planning to move  back , north of  Marin County  near SF  , we got family there - that was just perfect for us ,--

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

we're planning to move to move back , north of  Marin County  near SF  , we got family there - that was just perfect for us ,--

I'm originally from the East Bay.  SF is my favorite city in the world ... although it sure has gone downhill in recent years. 

I can't even go into two of my old neighborhoods -- just isn't safe anymore. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I'm originally from the East Bay ... family began in Oakland; but I lived in Hayward for a long time. SF is my favorite city in the world ... although it sure has gone downhill in recent years. 

we visited friends in  Oakland  last summer   ,  and unsafe is the right word -to avoid crime  nowadays , one has to stay  in the North Bay area of SF  -

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Glad to see your OK, kind of thought you might be hiding from the smoke, glad that's over.

I have to ask, watching the oakland Raiders play the other day how do the people feel when the left. I would imagine upset or are they still backing the team after the move ? 

• Like 3

So Delta doesn't look like it will be a huge wind threat to all of you near the gulf folks. Still the rainfall will be incredible to those areas with a history of being flood prone. Y'all don't slack off on your prep now! Checking my news sites and drinking the last of my coffee, will get in gear soon.

Had a snot attack the last couple of days that's made me take aspirin for the headache and force water. So much water that I haven't bothered to flush every time `cause I'm in there four times an hour. Darn pine needles, it was easy when we had four dozen trees around the perimeter. Now I buy `em once a year or so and I've had a covered stack under the magnolia since June. Put some out around the front Tues and didn't pay attention to the dust and maybe mold in those wet needles. Been paying the price since. Force water, p*ss the germs out has been my chemical free method for years, almost back from it now! A half box of kleenex gone too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Ha ... I think my marrying days are behind me. Thanks for your concern about me my friend and I hope you are well. 

I'm fine -- just don't feel that I have anything to contribute -- not that that stops anyone else around here ...

Hey..if we all waited for something to contribute, this forum would be vacant 😁

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I'm a constant source of hot and cold running bs...

Kids are going back to school in the wife's district. Only about 10 students in the building at any one time...

Yeah... we're a little worried.

The course can be reversed quickly if/when... Very short chain of command

broke down a recliner couch yesterday. I can take it to the dump now. Thinking about making one recliner and tossing the rest. Could have made a reclining love seat, but I disassembled the one recliner. For some reason, I want to keep the mechanism... don't know why or what for.... Just think it might be useful for something.

Have bread making. I'll be around the house for a few hours.

• Like 2

CC&C is the Face Book of the forum.  You can tell us anything you want....no subject is off topic or too trivial.  Mind you Pete may scold you if you post a pic of your lunch😉 or brag about walking your dog😊 but it doesn't hurt for long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

So Delta doesn't look like it will be a huge wind threat to all of you near the gulf folks.

Well not for us and East of us, but for the Louisiana and Texas state line it's going to get rough for them. 

This is the third one that was headed right for us and went somewhere else, I'm fine with that. :emotion-19: 

Carl should be getting rain now and some wind by tonight, or earlier ? 

20202831731_GOES16-ABI-gm-13-500x500.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I'm originally from the East Bay.  SF is my favorite city in the world ... although it sure has gone downhill in recent years. 

12 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

we visited friends in  Oakland  last summer   ,  and unsafe is the right word -to avoid crime  nowadays , one has to stay  in the North Bay area of SF  -

I went there a long time ago, very cool city, this was way before the crime and homeless people problems.

It's terrible for such a nice city to fall apart like that, mismanagement has ruined a great city, no one even wants to visit anymore, such a waste.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I'm a constant source of hot and cold running bs...

Well when you can remember your password anyway. :lol:

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

CC&C is the Face Book of the forum

Wouldn't know never even looked at facebook, but it sounds about right.

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Carl said the most excitement you get from oldtimer is when his peppers grow. 

I hate to say Carl is right but he is right.

You know we all like to harass the shiney one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

Well not for us and East of us, but for the Louisiana and Texas state line it's going to get rough for them. 

This is the third one that was headed right for us and went somewhere else, I'm fine with that. :emotion-19: 

Yea, had the tv news on earlier at the top of the hour for less than five minutes. Said six this summer already? Recall Laura and Sally. The way this one was 150 before the yucatan thought it would be stronger when it came into the gulf... glad it's not for all of you folks. Is Carl further down towards Galveston? ** Was thinking Corpus Christi that is further away from Houston.Heck we got clouds from it up here since the sun came out that I see.

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

Been coming down steady all day and will deteriorate further till this evening.  You can really feel the wind when you drive but it's not horrible.  I'm at work now and not looking forward to the drive home.  Luckily it's moving fast and should be gone by tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1