Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

True. & the front end ratio is 4.10 in the Honda with that 270hp/rear wheel or is it front wheel.

Anyhow think it's the 30 something computers onboard that keep it from being a rocket. It has a S gear instead of 2 then 1 like old TH400s That stretches out the change like a hp stall converter and it will go then. But its delicate to me and won't use it like that except for that once!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

... was just thinking

these new engines, not even high performance models are getting 1HP:10cc displacement.  That's what we were getting out of our old motorcycles - early 70's. And thinking our little motors were doing pretty good for it.

not being a gear head I have no idea what any of that means; but I'll still agree with you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

not being a gear head I have no idea what any of that means; but I'll still agree with you.

Got any ideas about this? Very Interesting to someone that loves cheesy sci-fi!

Andrew Adams on Twitter: "The @UtahDPS helicopter was assisting the @UtahDWR in counting bighorn sheep in remote southern Utah Wednesday when the crew encountered something entirely 'out of this world'... @KSL5TV #KSLTV #Utah Photojournalist: @Photog_Steve5 https://t.co/f8P0fayDIS" / Twitter

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

when I was a young buck in the military, one night I had the lookout watch on the ship that I was on. I saw some very strange lights in the sky. I went from the bridge wing into the bridge and told the OOD that I wasn't sure what I was reporting. He said, "you mean those strange lights?"  I said yes and he said, yeah I saw them too and I have no idea what they were.

I learnt to report everything because on my first ever watch, the OOD came out to the bridge wing to ask why I didn't report a range light (that was more like a small lighthouse out on the water).  I was only 18 at the time and I said, "I thought lighthouses went without saying."  He sternly said, "NOTHING goes without saying."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

clay is tough, but.... I would take clay over this rock pile... any day

No I wouldn't want to deal with rocks, here about 12' down you hit sand and gravel, no rocks bigger than road gravel.

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

With all the rain this year our clay would be easy until next summer.

It can rain all winter and you have a puddle, dig 2 inches down and it dusty dry, water does not go deeper it seems, part of why ponds do so well here.

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I'll be interested to see how this big Erector set goes together for ya. It does look like fun, to me

I will take some pictures, it's going to be fun.

This is a 3 minute time lapse to get a good idea.  

• Like 7

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Been busy, building permit approved so I have been forming to pour a slab. Looks like it will be poured next week, then the building can start. I used treated wood for the form, will try to reuse it for some benches once the building is done. 

One thing I found out the new (to me) stakes used to hold a form is MUCH better than the old 2x4 cut to a point on the end. The stakes are 3/4" thick round stakes, I used the 18" long stakes since the slab is sitting on the ground. The stakes are way easier than driving a 2x4 or even 2x3 into the ground which is like cement here.

Yea wood stakes are a real pain to use, especially when they start splitting. I like to pound the stakes in so they are below the height of the form, they tend to get in the way when left higher. I have metal stakes in 3-4 lengths....I hate to use a 24" stake when the ground if tough, they can be hard to get out later.

6 hours ago, grasshopper said:

... was just thinking

these new engines, not even high performance models are getting 1HP:10cc displacement.  That's what we were getting out of our old motorcycles - early 70's. And thinking our little motors were doing pretty good for it.

Modern motorcycle engines are getting upwards of 2HP:10cc displacement, and getting much better fuel economy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:43 PM, grasshopper said:

... was just thinking

Yes, these new car, van, and pickup engines are amazing.  When I traded in my 1998 Grand Caravan for a 2012 model, I went from a 3.8 litre pushrod V-6 made of cast iron, making 180 hp, and unable (in stock form) to rev past 4800 rpm, to a Pentastar 3.6 litre DOHC V-6 made of aluminum, making 283 hp, and able to spin happily to 6400 rpm.  As well, the fuel consumption is about 25% better.  With similar sized fuel tanks, the old one could go about 8 hours in mixed city and highway driving before needing gas, while the new van goes for around 10.5 hours before needing a fillup.  It’s like getting 2-1/2 hours of free driving.

However, it’s still a V-6 and sounds like it.  No V-8 rumble, which is a pity.  Making up for that is the great power bump between 4400 and 6400 rpm.  If you leave your pedal on the floor, when the engine hits 4400 rpm, it really gets up and goes, which is great fun.  The close-ratio 6-speed adds to the fun, but it’s easy to tell what it’s designed to do.  The first 4 gears are close together, enabling the van to get to 120 km/hr - 75 mph quite quickly, presumably to make merging with highway traffic easy, even with a load in the van.  Then, 5th and 6th gears are really tall (6th would produce 406 km/hr - 252 mph at redline, if there was much much more power available), for great fuel economy.  The old 4-speed seemed okay, until I got a 6-speed and realized how much better an 8-speed would be, lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Islander said:

However, it’s still a V-6 and sounds like it.  No V-8 rumble, which is a pity.

I agree, that there is something lacking about the exhaust notes of most V-6s.  Straight sixes, think vintage Jaguars, and flat sixes, Porsches, sound OK, presumably due to their firing orders.  We have a surprising number of Ferraris and Lamborghinis prowling the streets of The Motor City.  The sound of their V-12s is intoxicating.  IMO, one of the biggest disappointments is the sound of the Viper V-10.  It sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not so the early 2005-2010 BMW M5 V10’s. Sounded like a proper V10 derived from from their then F1 program. Unfortunately an extremely unreliable engine and hugely expensive to maintain.

The Audi R8 V10 don’t sound too shabby either - or it’s brother from another mother when shoved into a Lambo —

• Like 1