Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

thanks; but you wouldn't say that if you watched me.  I'm a nut and I'm ascared of raw meat, so handling raw bacon and raw pork was a challenge. 

Have you thought of trying rubber gloves?  The nitrile ones are about the best.

• Like 1

Good work. I’ve cooked with a pressure cooker for years, makes the toughest cut of meat tender. I actually think with the right seasoning you could cook a pair of leather boots and make them fork tender! The newer models are very safe compared to what I learned on but still, be careful. Treat it with respect, damn thing can take your head off. On the early models there was just a “plug” inserted in the lid that if it exceeded max pressure would literally blow the plug out the top. Happened to me once - put a hole in the ceiling. “Message to self - keep head away from pressure cooker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Islander said:

Have you thought of trying rubber gloves?  The nitrile ones are about the best.

I bought some gloves said specifically for food prep; but they weren't tight fitting ... so nitrile ones can be used to handle food?  

my doc told me "you know, if you just wash your hands and the counter, you'll be fine."  problem is that I can't wash my hands without splashing all over myself.  OCD is not a laughing matter anymore. it's pretty destructive. thanks for the tip ... I'd like to learn to cook; but I've got to get past all of this anxiety.  My sister asked me once "what happened? You never were this way before."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, richieb said:

Good work. I’ve cooked with a pressure cooker for years, makes the toughest cut of meat tender. I actually think with the right seasoning you could cook a pair of leather boots and make them fork tender! The newer models are very safe compared to what I learned on but still, be careful. Treat it with respect, damn thing can take your head off. On the early models there was just a “plug” inserted in the lid that if it exceeded max pressure would literally blow the plug out the top. Happened to me once - put a hole in the ceiling. “Message to self - keep head away from pressure cooker. 

yeah, I guess these InstantPots have all kinds of safety features built into them.  They specially say "don't put your face over the pot when removing the lid."

This one has a locking lid and if the pressure hasn't been sufficiently released, you can't open the lid. 

Once I get it figured out, I'll be fine. People swear by these things, and after one use, I can understand why. 

My isn't the largest model, mine is only a six quart one; but I've read that it will hold a five-pound whole chicken ... so maybe once I get adept at using it, I'll try that. 

I actually have one of those old fashioned ones that I acquired from my Aunt. this one was made before the days of thinking safety. it does have that plug that you spoke of. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I bought some gloves said specifically for food prep; but they weren't tight fitting ... so nitrile ones can be used to handle food?  

Nearly any kind of non-porous gloves can be used to handle food.  If you’re being really cautious, wash them after you put them on, just like you’d wash your hands.  If you wash your hands smoothly and methodically, just like the public health video clips show you, there should be very little splashing.  There are the big dishwashing gloves that go halfway up your forearms, but I was thinking of the semi-surgical types.  There’s latex, which many people are allergic to, and vinyl, which has no stretch, so they can be annoying to remove if you want to re-use them.

Finally, there are the nitrile gloves.  They’re very stretchy, and more resistant to penetration than the other two, latex and vinyl.  You can find them at Costco (sometimes) in the automotive section or the pharmacy section.  When they don’t have any, I get them at London Drugs, in the cleaning supplies section.

I have to wash my hands frequently, which causes their skin to get dry and cracked, so that’s where the gloves come in handy.  You can even rub lotion into your hands and then put the gloves on over that.  Soap attacks the nitrile, so after a half-dozen washes or so, they’ll develop discolouration, and can get weak enough to tear, so they have to be discarded at that point.  Or you can discard them after a single use.  If you’re using them only once or twice a day, a box will last for a while.

There’s also barrier cream.  Cooks and mechanics use it.  You rub it on, let it dry for a few minutes, then go to work.  It’s not water soluble, but will come off with soap, so it won’t come off when it gets wet, just when you’re done and are washing up.

in any case, if you’re washing your hands many times a day, they’ll get dry and cracked and very difficult to clean.  If that’s your situation, you’ll want to rub in some lotion once a day.  Aveeno or Keri are pretty good.  Kevin Cameron, the famous racing mechanic and writer, wrote that when he was working as a mechanic, the only time he’d have clean hands was on the third day of long weekends, because it would take two days to get all the grease from under his fingernails.  My experience was very similar, which is why most mechanics were gloves on the job nowadays.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

weird how much faster things cook in a pressure cooker; but it came out tender and juicy. 

Oh yea pressure does some unreal things. Like being a kid back in the 70s thinking he's hot s*^t because of the quick hot rod he's driving down the strip.

Imagine a comparable performance car pulling up next to him and you hear the zingggggg coming from under the big lump on the hood. That blower compressing then forcing at much higher pressure the fuel/air mixture through to the carb(s). Hot-sh#t kid better roll off the line gently `cause he wouldn't stand a chance!

& it was not me, I'd seen races at Darlington on tv before and knew what would happen.

Got one of those cookers packed up, hasn't been in use for a long time but I miss a good beef roast that your fork could shred with ease. Braising then boiling hasn't been good for me in years, either the cuts changed or the feeding of the cows did.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Islander said:

Nearly any kind of non-porous gloves can be used to handle food.  If you’re being really cautious, wash them after you put them on, just like you’d wash your hands.  If you wash your hands smoothly and methodically, just like the public health video clips show you, there should be very little splashing.  There are the big dishwashing gloves that go halfway up your forearms, but I was thinking of the semi-surgical types.  There’s latex, which many people are allergic to, and vinyl, which has no stretch, so they can be annoying to remove if you want to re-use them.

Finally, there are the nitrile gloves.  They’re very stretchy, and more resistant to penetration than the other two, latex and vinyl.  You can find them at Costco (sometimes) in the automotive section or the pharmacy section.  When they don’t have any, I get them at London Drugs, in the cleaning supplies section.

I have to wash my hands frequently, which causes their skin to get dry and cracked, so that’s where the gloves come in handy.  You can even rub lotion into your hands and then put the gloves on over that.  Soap attacks the nitrile, so after a half-dozen washes or so, they’ll develop discolouration, and can get weak enough to tear, so they have to be discarded at that point.  Or you can discard them after a single use.  If you’re using them only once or twice a day, a box will last for a while.

There’s also barrier cream.  Cooks and mechanics use it.  You rub it on, let it dry for a few minutes, then go to work.  It’s not water soluble, but will come off with soap, so it won’t come off when it gets wet, just when you’re done and are washing up.

in any case, if you’re washing your hands many times a day, they’ll get dry and cracked and very difficult to clean.  If that’s your situation, you’ll want to rub in some lotion once a day.  Aveeno or Keri are pretty good.  Kevin Cameron, the famous racing mechanic and writer, wrote that when he was working as a mechanic, the only time he’d have clean hands was on the third day of long weekends, because it would take two days to get all the grease from under his fingernails.  My experience was very similar, which is why most mechanics were gloves on the job nowadays.

"It puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

thanks; but you wouldn't say that if you watched me.  I'm a nut and I'm ascared of raw meat, so handling raw bacon and raw pork was a challenge. 

Get a box of disposable gloves.  I use those when I work with hot peppers.

Edit.  I see that this has been covered already.   Thats what happens when I reply to an alert instead of reading the thread.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Get a box of disposable gloves.  I use those when I work with hot peppers.

Edit.  I see that this has been covered already.   Thats what happens when I reply to an alert instead of reading the thread.

If you want to participate, please keep up — 😉

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

They specially say "don't put your face over the pot when removing the lid."

liability.... Can't make anything idiot-proof... they keep making better idiots.

I know I've said this before , but

my woodstove had a warning label on it....cautioning the user that it will get hot during use.... 

I've pulled almost everything from under this little pole barn style shed.  It's way too small to qualify as a barn... by any stretch of the imagination. Looking at it closer... It's not just leaning. It's twisting.  Guess I'm gonna have to spend some money. Some 4 foot fencing wire will go a long way to building a new shed.  I have a bunch of industrial shelving along the back off the property as a fence. Fence wire will free it up. This shelving is really stout... almost scaffolding. I figure that will work for holding a roof up.  Rust is not a problem here. Plastics and rubber get eaten up by the UV.

• Haha 2