Jump to content

Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails


Tarheel

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
8 hours ago, Islander said:

That did sharpen up the looks of your machine, and choosing a contrasting colour for the parts that could need to be accessed quickly is a good idea.

Well I thought it deserved it and I needed to stop any rust, plus it does look better.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

@dtel , that thing is a beast.  Nice, I like it.

It is well made, I have had it about 15 years and have done nothing to it at all.

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Elden, your shop remind me of my uncle's place.  He was a machinist...and he had the stuff to do it at home.

I am no machinist but would love to have a lathe, but I would have to learn how to use it which is not easy I would guess.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

And your planer looks like a Deere now!

The only colors they had besides black and white were sun yellow or that green and I thought the yellow would be a bit loud.

 

I have other old tools, 3 kinds of grinders, a drill press and bandsaw and they are all built to last and have needed nothing except a new belt to keep them working, they were all my dads. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

we all have the dreaded "alligator skin". Wife was trying to put lotion on my back and she couldn't get it spread before it soaked in.

not in the NORTH ----we dont get sun exposure on our skin , so no crocodile skin ---and we put  sun lotion at 75 -80---  you guys are tanned  all year around or close to it -we cant get tanned unless we sunbathe for a week -

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

That stuff grows and multiplies like weeds around here if you let it.

Yea it does everywhere except when I put it in a pot! Think I have too much dirt, not enough sand in this. It came from New Smyrna Beach "The Shark Bite Capital of the World" was three feet around and a couple feet high with a flower shooting out of the top in Maitland, then again in Cocoa outside by the front door both times. Since then the other two pots are dead but I have one left not big enough to use as my medicine plant for burns and cuts yet but it will come back... I think.

 

PXL-20210611-184348300.jpg

 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

The only colors they had besides black and white were sun yellow or that green and I thought the yellow would be a bit loud.

Cat Yellow?

I'd bet!!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yea it does everywhere except when I put it in a pot! Think I have too much dirt, not enough sand in this. It came from New Smyrna Beach "The Shark Bite Capital of the World" was three feet around and a couple feet high with a flower shooting out of the top in Maitland, then again in Cocoa outside by the front door both times. Since then the other two pots are dead but I have one left not big enough to use as my medicine plant for burns and cuts yet but it will come back... I think.

 

PXL-20210611-184348300.jpg

 

Cat Yellow?

I'd bet!!

We ignore ours and they grow like mad.  Never had one indoors or in a pot though.  Their flowers are pretty cool looking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's true in FL also @CECAA850 but not here with "winter" temps of highs in the 40s lows in the 30 and lower. Winter in quotes because they aren't really anymore.

 

Oh and any flower that looks like fireworks exploding are the only ones I like... also the ones that produce something good to eat out of the garden!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

so no crocodile skin

I wish it was just crocodile skin, had skin cancer twice already and over 300 little things burned off by a dermatologist. All from sun damage over the years, mostly my arms and where my shirt didn't buttom up at the top. 

 

WEAR SUN SCREEN, especially when your young and invincible/stupid thinking it's not a problem. It becomes a problem as the years add up.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, dtel said:

I wish it was just crocodile skin, had skin cancer twice already and over 300 little things burned off by a dermatologist. All from sun damage over the years, mostly my arms and where my shirt didn't buttom up at the top. 

 

WEAR SUN SCREEN, especially when your young and invincible/stupid thinking it's not a problem. It becomes a problem as the years add up.  

Elden , you are a survivor ---Godspeed  , the cancer  research is advancing ,slowly but surely --we all lost relatives to cancer -

 

 I see kids  in  the Hospitals I visit , 2-4-5-10 years old with terminal cancer ,  we are in a hospital today and tomorrow  , in another --300 miles apart -

--Support Cancer research , tell everybody ,  to get checked if they sense a growth------

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

I see kids  in  the Hospitals I visit , 2-4-5-10 years old with terminal cancer ,  we are in a hospital today and tomorrow  , in another --300 miles apart -

--Support Cancer research , tell everybody ,  to get checked if they sense a growth------

It's sad, I am VERY lucky compared to many, I'm 63, it's just hard to see kids going through what many have to go through. Our daughter is an RN, she has worked in many fields but refuses to work with kids, she says she can't handle it, I don't blame her I couldn't either.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our DiL is an RN who worked at Children’s Mercy here in KC for several years. After having her own son she couldn’t cope with seeing other children with serious illness, of course many terminal. She finally had to work in another area hospital in a more typical environment. It indeed takes a special mentality - 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

today was the practice run. The heat starts tomorrow. Last prediction had Tucson for 110`+ for the whole next week..... and a chance of rain. 10% - 20%.

that's bittersweet. Most likely is we get dry thunderstorms... lot of lightning and no rain. And the humidity will go up appreciably. From single digit to 20%.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

Use this for dry skin. 'Taint cheap but it works wonders.

 

CereVe-MoisturizingCream--222x300.jpg

 

Awesome product! I have some very light CeraVe with a sunscreen in it that I use on my face. (Unfortunately, it doesn't help my looks)

 

As many on here know, I lost my first wife to malignant melanoma. Aweful! She was a saint and bore it well, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

isn't that between a couple of places

 

Sometimes referred to as the ABC.  The ***-ball connection.  I saw that in an SNL sketch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JohnJ said:

 

Made me wonder, if I have to go west of the Appalachians all the storms especially in the spring that got blocked by those mountains would get to me if I did.

Prices on the cabin type homes I like have practically doubled since last autumn when I started scanning possibilities.

 

The best time to buy real estate is nearly always last year.  Prices go up faster than you can save, so the best bet is to buy what you want and can afford as soon as you see it.  Time, and real estate prices, wait for no man.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another birthday to add to the list. My wife surprised me at work... brought food and a nice little cheesecake. We went out for dinner last night... ate a a place overlooking the Tennessee River. I had wood fire grilled salmon, black beans and rice. It was a beautiful time to spend with my wife.

 

 

IMG_20210611_193040.jpg

20210611_161437.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Another birthday to add to the list. My wife surprised me at work... brought food and a nice little cheesecake. We went out for dinner last night... ate a a place overlooking the Tennessee River. I had wood fire grilled salmon, black beans and rice. I was a beatutiful time to spend with my wife.

 

 

IMG_20210611_193040.jpg

20210611_161437.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...