Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

white gas?

I can barely remember the old Amoco gasoline, It was over a dollar when I had that Mopar and needed five bucks worth a day to get around in it.

It sure did make that big block sound, idle and run a little better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Amoco's "white gas" was nothing more than unleaded high octane. It was good shit though. My racebikes loved it as leaded fuel began disappearing in the '80s.

Before unleaded car engines and unleaded gas at the pumps in the early 70s?

I'm not sure about that, but really don't know anything except my dad said it was available when he was young. He was a teen in the late 40s.

the 104? out at the airport was the GOOD STUFF!

• Like 1

I don't like using Wiki but it's easy to find. According to that it could have been a regional thing as well.

While most oil companies were switching to leaded gasolines en masse during the mid-to-late 1920s, American Oil chose to continue marketing its premium-grade "Amoco-Gas" (later Amoco Super-Premium) as a lead-free gasoline by using aromatics rather than tetraethyllead to increase octane levels, decades before the environmental movement of the early 1970s, led to more stringent auto-emission controls which ultimately mandated the universal phase out of leaded gasoline. The "Amoco" lead-free gasoline was sold at American's stations in the eastern and southern U.S. alongside American Regular gasoline.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grasshopper said:

never tried this... but, I have heard that white gas cuts that lacquer.

At the bike shop, we had one of those sinks-on-a-drum with running solvent, called Kleen-Flo, or something like that.  It should have been better than gas, white or regular, because it was designed to be a solvent, and it was much safer, with no explosion or fire hazard.  Maybe if a rider had the patience to keep those jets soaking for days, they could have cleaned up, but the jets cost under $5 each, if memory serves, so to the scrap bin they went!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Amoco's "white gas" was nothing more than unleaded high octane. It was good shit though. My racebikes loved it as leaded fuel began disappearing in the '80s.

I first heard about white gas from the Army use of it to fuel their field stoves, for the big mess tents while on maneuvers.   As far as I know, yes, white gas is unloaded gas, which probably burnt cleaner in those stoves.  That Amoco high-octane sounds a bit more specialized/technical than that stuff I’m talking about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Islander said:

At the bike shop, we had one of those sinks-on-a-drum with running solvent, called Kleen-Flo, or something like that.  It should have been better than gas, white or regular, because it was designed to be a solvent, and it was much safer, with no explosion or fire hazard.  Maybe if a rider had the patience to keep those jets soaking for days, they could have cleaned up, but the jets cost under $5 each, if memory serves, so to the scrap bin they went!

Safety Kleen maybe?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Safety Kleen maybe?

Yes, I believe that was it!  Thanks.  I left that trade in 1977, so my memories of less important things from long ago are becoming a bit vague. 

• Haha 2

Visited a friend, once, for a barbeque. He asked me to light the charcoal while he prepped the food. He had two identical containers of charcoal lighter fluid in the garage, one of which actually contained charcoal lighter fluid and the other which contained white gas (naptha). Guess which one I unknowingly grabbed.

All I remember is a brilliant white flash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Islander said:

I first heard about white gas from the Army use of it to fuel their field stoves, for the big mess tents while on maneuvers.   As far as I know, yes, white gas is unloaded gas, which probably burnt cleaner in those stoves.  That Amoco high-octane sounds a bit more specialized/technical than that stuff I’m talking about.

We would also use the white gas in coleman lights and stoves, it was cheaper than the coleman fuel in the can and worked just as well, plus the car loved it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dtel said:

We would also use the white gas in coleman lights and stoves, it was cheaper than the coleman fuel in the can and worked just as well, plus the car loved it.

That's what my dad used in our Coleman stove in the '60s. Probably in the lamps as well.

I've always used Aladdin lamps, which also used mantles, but are not pressurised. They put out a terrific amount of heat, and can take the chill out of a room. I have some my grandparents had before WWII. I think I'm getting old...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Aren't you worried about genies?

Unlike in TV comedy sitcoms,  the Jinn are not benevolent.  The three classes of Jinn are three different flavours of tricksters and shapeshifters, so treat that lamp with care and caution, lest you slight a Jinni and give him (it?) an excuse to wreak some kind of painful vengeance on you.  Just sayin’...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

Unlike in TV comedy sitcoms,  the Jinn are not benevolent.  The three classes of Jinn are three different flavours of tricksters and shapeshifters, so treat that lamp with care and caution, lest you slight a Jinni and give him (it?) an excuse to seek some kind of painful vengeance on you.  Just sayin’...

Oh I know...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edgar said:

Visited a friend, once, for a barbeque. He asked me to light the charcoal while he prepped the food. He had two identical containers of charcoal lighter fluid in the garage, one of which actually contained charcoal lighter fluid and the other which contained white gas (naptha). Guess which one I unknowingly grabbed.

All I remember is a brilliant white flash.

- You left something out — did you get the charcoal lit 🔥?

• Haha 2