Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

chocolate is pure evil ... may as well join Facebook too.

Ha!    So do-ya like ginger ale?

Like mega ginger ginger ale?

Have not had this in a while. If I had since I joined here I'd have posted a pic then but this stuff is so good. And made somewhere around here too.

PXL-20210830-222421177.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Have not had this in a while. If I had since I joined here I'd have posted a pic then but this stuff is so good. And made somewhere around here too.

yes, I love that stuff, in fact, I was turned onto it by forum member Ben (he has only posted once in the past many years; but our friend Chuck @Tarheelknows Ben too. Ben told me about the Blenheim's with the pink cap, which was the extra stingy one.  Sure love that stuff. can't find it where I live now. Used to get it SoCal; but we had a lot to choose from there. Here in Oregon there isn't much of a choice on MANY food and drink items (particularly alcohol).  The land of limited choice.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Just got power back. :emotion-21: It does cut out for a second as they connect other areas, just long enough to need to restart computers and reset clocks

Everything is fine no damage, again we just got lucky. It got a bit windy :o and the rain was non-stop so I did not go out to empty my rain gauge and it overflowed above 7". 

wow , great  very lucky ----7 inches of rain fall   = great news 

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Is that like ginger beer?  Like ginger ale, but with a stronger flavour?  I've had three types:  the soft drink, the soft drink with added alcohol, and the ginger-flavoured beer.  I like them in that particular order, meaning the pop/soda the most.

• Like 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Glad to hear you're all safe Elden.  Been thinking about you guys since it hit land.  Didn't look good for you but worked out it seems.  WB!

Thank you, were fine, just noticed this evening we lost one tree which is the only damage, nothing on the house.

The tree is  a Red Oak about 40' tall, it is In the back yard kind of behind some cypress so I didn't notice. It snaped off about 8' in the air at that height it is about 15" thick, kind of suprised since it was only that height and that thick, thought it was stronger. 

I got it from a nursery about 25 years ago for $3, it was in a bunch of trees they wanted to get rid of so I can't complain. 

This one in the back ground, 3 year old pic. Very happy it is the only loss.

yard-24-2.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dtel said:

It was way more I just didn't  go out and empty it. Was never worried about the rain but the wind was a different story, it got a bit breezy. 

watching shingles roofs in Louisiana fly off like paper was pretty unreal , one pass and the roof was on bare wood --

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Thank you, were fine, just noticed this evening we lost one tree which is the only damage, nothing on the house.

The tree is  a Red Oak about 40' tall,

yard-24-2.JPG

I would cut the trunk as high as possible , and leave the roots intact , if the tree has enough nutrients in the roots , it might grow back , or it might not  , you wont know for another year or so 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, RandyH said:

watching shingles roofs in Louisiana fly off like paper was pretty unreal , one pass and the roof was on bare wood --

Many times the wood goes next, we have a metal roof. A metal roof is a little different, when it starts to come loose whole sheets come off and is much more dangerous when flying through the air.

After Katrina 2 neighbors lost all the metal off of the barns, there was sheets of metal stuck 40'+ up in trees, bent around the trees, just had to let them fall out eventually. 

3 minutes ago, RandyH said:

I would cut the trunk as high as possible , and leave the roots intact , if the tree has enough nutrients in the roots , it might grow back , or it might not  , you wont know for another year or so -

That's exactly what I was going to do, I have another tree in the yard that came back exactly like you said, but it was only about 6" thick.

Anyway I could cut it low but where it's at it would just have to rot away. If the roots did not come up with that much pressure in soaked ground and the leverage of the top to have it just snap off, my tractor could not remove the roots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Many times the wood goes next, we have a metal roof. A metal roof is a little different, when it starts to come loose whole sheets come off and is much more dangerous when flying through the air.

After Katrina 2 neighbors lost all the metal off of the barns, there was sheets of metal stuck 40'+ up in trees, bent around the trees, just had to let them fall out eventually. 

That's exactly what I was going to do, I have another tree in the yard that came back exactly like you said, but it was only about 6" thick.

- time for you  to take some rest  after the past 48 hours , everything else can wait -

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

yes, I love that stuff, in fact, I was turned onto it by forum member Ben (he has only posted once in the past many years; but our friend Chuck @Tarheelknows Ben too. Ben told me about the Blenheim's with the pink cap, which was the extra stingy one.  Sure love that stuff. can't find it where I live now. Used to get it SoCal; but we had a lot to choose from there. Here in Oregon there isn't much of a choice on MANY food and drink items (particularly alcohol).  The land of limited choice.

Ah.  Blenheim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

it's got a nice burn when you swallow ... you know, the type where it feels like it's ripping off the surface layer of your throat.  highly recommended.

Burn??

Naaa, doesn't feel like that to me. Just a tickle from a copious amount of ginger. Not sweet like that Canada Dry that came out last decade... not a dark flavor either

Ever had fresh garlic when there was a lot in the dish and it goes beyond being sweet to being hot... Or when Claussen's Kosher Pickles had the "heat" gauge on the side of the jar long ago. YUM!

Chili beans made with only Cayenne pepper for the flavor & heat...

The ginger in that brand with their "hot" version doesn't approach those levels. But I didn't squander it, had it after some good Rana's sausage ravioli to cleanse my palate!

Geeze, I'm hungry now. Had the last of my oatmeal with some peach for taking my supplements around 6 now it's 9 & I went off talking about interesting entrees. :dry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2