Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Having a friend come over tomorrow night that I haven't seen in over 35 years, he now lives in Texas and is in town for his sisters wedding. He and his wife will stay tomorrow night before heading home. I hope he calmed down, I know I have mostly, we were not good back then, and luck to have lived through everything dumb we did.

My wife talks to him on facebook and he called this morning, should be fun.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Very nice, I like Seadog, nice guy.............when you are talking ask him if that old raggedy boat he has still floating ? :o That will make him smile, his boat is a classic, not many left.

• Like 4

Very nice, I like Seadog, nice guy.............when you are talking ask him if that old raggedy boat he has still floating ? :o That will make him smile, his boat is a classic, not many left.

It is good to see this kind of love for each other in this Thread..... :) :)

• Like 6

And makes me appreciate a good mechanic that can do it in a couple of hours.    Next up.  Spark plugs and wires.  Plugs and wires not terribly expensive.  One plug so loose jiggling the mushy wire, besides the lovely tingling sensation, would release a puff of exhaust from the engine block.....   front one's not too bad... the back ones... well, hiopefully can get back to work and hire a professional.  this gets serious.  I think recommenced is to drop engine, really drop, probably disconnect more?, and rotate the engine...so would probably require an engine stand....   Almost enough room to access the rear with the engine dropped.  almost.  Need Flat Stanley Mechanic?

Hey Ben,

I think you can access the back bank of plugs if you pull the intake manifold. Alot of V-6 are set up like that. I've only had a few Caravan's in the shop but I've never done plugs on them....... Carl might know more on this...

A tip or two if I may..... When I do ignition components on my customer's cars I will always use OEM parts.. ie: 99% of all Honda's use NGK spark plugs.... a few Denso plugs here and there. If I'm replacing wires I will use ether dealer parts or NGK wires. NGK wire are "aftermarket" but there fit a performance is that of OEM. Also NGK does make wires for some car manufactures.

I will never use Autolite spark plugs..... over the years I have pulled put more Autolite plugs out of peoples cars that they have put in. All come in with missfire codes and they tell me it couldn't be the plugs I just did them last year...... what do I find????? Autolite plugs.....

IMHO.... price out the ignition parts from the dealer......Oh if the intake has to come off..... get a intake gasket ;)

Good luck

MKP :-)

Thanks for the info gentlemen.   I'll find some videos to get a visual.  Might not be as crazy as the dadburned water pump.  "Needs" new intake and exhaust manifold gaskets anyway.  Need is relative, torquing to proper spec would help.  What these vehicles need is a recall.  Might not be practical to fix the overly soft cylinder sleeves but I cannot fathom how the ID10T light not turning on until there is way too little oil left is at all acceptable in the 21st century.   These things set themselves on fire... this one did.  We've gotten much better about checking the oil... but oil lights have worked and come on at 1 to 2 quarts low not the last 1 1/2 quarts turning or when the engine is almost dry.  I did dig around and read that if you'd call the correct number and raise enough hell they'd give you a new engine.  Why would I want a new engine... you can't blow these things up.  The oil change shop we use told us not to feel too bad being down to last 1 1/2 quarts as they've seen similar Chysler / Dodge engines drive in with NO OIL in them and they still run.  Hot.  VERY HOT.  But still run..  

• Like 1

Mchanic...ing! Got to love it. Friend Doc brought over his Pontiac van inline 6 for plugs and wires. We let it coo down and I went to town on it. Had to wrestle wire off, then the plug protector heat shield thingie, then the plug. It was a bear but finally got it. No clearance or room for a ratchet or any comfortable sane way to reach practically any one of them. Yes, would have been much easier with the manifold off.

Presently got the Nancy Volvo sunroof fixed this week, after a fashion. No leak expected... :) but left off the wire from the sunroof motor, just in case,lol. Told Nancy she was going to have to get used to all the little quirks and idiosyncrasies that come with owning a 99 Volvo wagon. Not a good conversation to have while looking at her wet head. Sure know more than I wanted to about about that car. Oh well, wonder what she will want to own next.

During my roadtrip days to Tampa and back here a short while back, car I would see most often broke down beside the road was the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler van, No comment! 1 reason is, they are right popular...

Cheers!

Edited by billybob
  • Like 4

We've gotten much better about checking the oil... but oil lights have worked and come on at 1 to 2 quarts low not the last 1 1/2 quarts turning or when the engine is almost dry.

On some of the Honda's the "check engine" lite will come on with a V-tec code. The V-tec is uses oil pressure to operate. 99% of the time the car's engine has no oil in it.... like 1-1.5 qts of oil left in the sump.

My customers ask me "why didn't my oil light come on?"..... I tell them when your going down the road at 65+ mph and your oil light come on in a Honda, the next sound you will hear is rod coming through the side of your engine block :o...... So I tell em.... Check your oil!!!! 

Yea BL..... Carl is the man for Caravan ;)

MKP :-)

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 4

Mchanic...ing! Got to love it.

Nope can't stand it, it's no fun for me anymore.

I only do it when I can understand the problem, and only because I am cheap.

Not cheap.  Frugal.  There is a difference.  Cash flow is non-existent right now so I'm pretending to be a mechanic.... That necessity thing.  

• Like 4

Good Saturday morning,

It's a beautiful day in Southeast, MI, but it promises to be hot hot this afternoon. The neighbors two doors down are hosting a neighborhood get together. It will be an opportunity to meet the newer arrivals to the neighborhood. It's always fun to try to guess which ones are in the witness protection program.

While preparing the morning brew, I accidentally discovered the Bunn A10's secret. If you pour water into the reservoir then drop the lid before the basket is in place, water sprays outward in a circular pattern. None of that dripping in the center of the old Mr. Coffee. That explains how it brews such a fast, strong and smooth cup of coffee.

Enjoy the weekend.

• Like 4

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. I am actually at work for inventory. It's all good. My wife appreciates that I work and she doesn't. Gotta keep her happy so she doesn't wake up one day and think, "what the hell was I thinking marrying him."

Edited by Wardsweb
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. I am actually at work for inventory. It's all good. My appreciates that I work and she doesn't. Gotta keep her happy so she doesn't wake up one day and think, "what the hell was I thinking marrying him."

Like that would happen, :rolleyes: but why take the chance.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. I am actually at work for inventory. It's all good. My appreciates that I work and she doesn't. Gotta keep her happy so she doesn't wake up one day and think, "what the hell was I thinking marrying him."

Like that would happen, :rolleyes: but why take the chance.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Off to go help daughter and husband pump out and clean the pool at the house the bought. He wants to empty it completely,  but after looking at pictures of pools popping out the ground it may be best to empty it less than half way and try to clean it like that. Either way I told him I'm not responsible, bringing a 2" gas trash pump, we will see. 

• Like 3