RE: "Cable Myths Continued"

Mallette

Well my wall still has battle scars....now covered by an oil painting. Never got mad it was my fault.

I'm doing fine thank you. Spent the last 3 years getting a real estate appraisal license. Rules & Regulations tripled after '08.

I've spent over $25,000 so far; so my audio testing has been put on hold. That's fine though....just listening & enjoying what I do have.

Hope you and Christy are doing well. Do you ever go back & read any old 2 channel threads with parrot, dragonfryer etc......good stuff.

• Moderators

Good business to be in, a late friend of ours did that and ended up opening her own business and having a couple of others doing appraisals also, she was doing well, good luck.

Were doing good and yes sometimes I go back and read some old stuff, it got crazy at times. Amy's job was much harder back then, one big thing that stuck out was how many people had stopped posting for one reason or another.

Even though we are done with the speaker search I still like to read here and sometimes post, on a rare occasion even try to help. It's the least I could do considering how much help we have gotten from people here which saves money we didn't have to waist trying different things.

Sorry for going off track, it's what I do, I guess ?

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:16 PM
I think it's great. I almost left the forum a few months ago over my increasing levels of frustration related to this very thing. I'm so sick of the REAL bullshit, and I think it's great that Mark is calling everyone out. So what is the "real bullshit"? It's the idea that anyone in this hobby actually believes and puts into practice the conclusions that ABX and DBT bring, for if they did, most of the equipment profiles would sure look a lot different than they do.

There are only two possible conclusions: many of you are either hypocrites or stupid.

I saw this on the other thread and was curious.....and it relates to that minor/major correlation for you Mark.

What exactly are the conclusions of ABX and DBT testing being referred to here?

Dean seems pretty worked up about things he / others can't prove they perceive. And I'm not saying that differences can't be / aren't being perceived, but any enlightened critical thinker would have no problem accepting that there is a minimum level of difference required to pass those tests. In fact, this is a litmus test I use for defining whether a difference is major or minor...

Now that said - and maybe because I'm more comfortable with that kind of listening (or maybe there's some skill involved?), I've never had a problem identifying different amplifiers or capacitors in ABX / DBT testing when there are solid technical reasons that differences should be heard. I think people sometimes get hung up on the whole "capacitor type" thing without actually understanding why/how different components are different....and then those differences may or may not manifest themselves depending on their very specific application.

Anyways, I'm curious how it fits into Dean's bubble when others claim they can hear a difference in the ABX / DBT testing...

And then I keep coming back to the window analogy where some are talking about the quality of the glass while there is mud all over the window...or maybe just a screen on the other side would be a bit less dramatic.

Edited by DrWho