Another Bob Costas wasted Olympics

oscarsear

Oh how I miss the days of Chris Schenkel when we used to be able to enjoy the actual Olympic sports without having personal opinions and incessant droning commentary injected into the presentations. It is more of a soap opera these days. Bob Costas should employ his complexion to market Silly Putty and otherwise be put out to pasture so the cows can ignore him - like the rest of us. IMHO.

• Like 1

Oh how I miss the days of Chris Schenkel when we used to be able to enjoy the actual Olympic sports without having personal opinions and incessant droning commentary injected into the presentations. It is more of a soap opera these days. Bob Costas should employ his complexion to market Silly Putty and otherwise be put out to pasture so the cows can ignore him - like the rest of us. IMHO.

Agreed... :emotion-21:

So true. My favorite of all time was the Jim McKay '76 summer olympics.

So true. My favorite of all time was the Jim McKay '76 summer olympics.

Al Michaels calling the USA/USSR hockey game in 1980 Lake Placid, "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!"

Did that not fire up this country? At least for a while.

Oh yeah, Bob Costas is a dud.

Bill

Edited by willland

Isn't all of television getting this way. Channels devoted to talking heads arguing about petty political stories, others with women yelling at each other, and shows where some "judge" of a contest is a coked out freak that is between suicide attempts is berating some 19 year old kid.

I trid to watch the olympics but could not make it through any of it. One small event then 20 minutes of crap.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

I lost interest in the Winter Olympics after ABC did away with "Wide World of Sports." Back then I had some idea of who was competing in the various winter sports and it stirred my interest.

Jean Claude Killy where are you when we need you?

But you still don't see it Pete. If only we could get eurosport here or similar coverage. They actually show the entire event. You get a feel for the levels of competition not just the highlights and also witness how these things really happen: The real time between players, etc.

I lost interest in the Winter Olympics after ABC did away with "Wide World of Sports." Back then I had some idea of who was competing in the various winter sports and it stirred my interest.

Jean Claude Killy where are you when we need you?

I can remember looking forward to seeing the skiing guy wipe out every week in "the agony of defeart"

• Like 1

Isn't all of television getting this way. Channels devoted to talking heads arguing about petty political stories, others with women yelling at each other, and shows where some "judge" of a contest is a coked out freak that is between suicide attempts is berating some 19 year old kid.

I trid to watch the olympics but could not make it through any of it. One small event then 20 minutes of crap.

You hit the nail on the head, I cn't hardly watch any of the sports channels anymore because it's all BS and very little game/event:-( Everything is a PTI anymore:-0

And to think Bob Costas is starting to do half-time reports (or maybe pre/post game reports) for football now.....

I absolute cannot stand him.

Does anyone know of a good internet stream where you can see all of the events in their full glory?

What confounds me is the business aspect of this venue. I do believe it is understood that the public is generally displeased with the presentation format deployed for the Olympics. This is commonly trounced in the social media. The program sponsors must know this - surely they know their customer profiles and marketing demography. Are they truly satisfied that they are a reaping adequate advertising dollar returns? And the IOC also must see that the American viewers are getting short shrived and losing interest in the entire event. Waz up with this? Do they simply not care - or am I overestimating the worth/value of the collective disconcerted viewer base??