will component video cables work for audio?

i have a decent set of component video cables (red, blue, green) that i used for my older dvd player but now use HDMI. my question is are these ok to use as audio cables? i see some new ones advertised as both audio & video use, just wondering if i can use 2 of the 3 cables for decent audio cables? are they made of different wire that would not be good for audio use?

Edited by klipschfancf4

They are typically being a 3 wire of some quality. The one's that you have may well be adequate. Being careful here as we have threads here on cables, coffee & etc. Bet they sound good.

I also have some supply of decent quality RCA phonos cable, 3 wire. they are adequate...for now.

They are typically being a 3 wire of some quality. The one's that you have may well be adequate. Being careful here as we have threads here on cables, coffee & etc. Bet they sound good.

I also have some supply of decent quality RCA phonos cable, 3 wire. they are adequate...for now.

I'll stick it out here. Cables are of poor to very good quality. The ones you have may not be able to discern whether or not the signal carried through are analog or digital, through the phono inputs. The series sound like some quality. Enjoy

I use component "video" cables all the time for audio. If of pretty good quality, why not.

I often hit my local Radio Shacks to see if they have cables on clearance, and I have often found "$40.00" Monster component cables for $5.00 to $7.00. I have scooped up some very nice cables for pennies on the dollar.

For a while there, I was using RS instead of Monoprice.

Bill

• Like 3

You find out quick what works. RS is still a decent walkin source for installer's or other, who haven't inventory on hand. Walked into a RS store close to thirty years ago. Said I needed a 15vdc regulated power supply. They came up with a box and the parts to build one. Pretty nice before the online.

:ph34r: 'okay. I'll double down then.. :lol:

I'm not much for using RCA patches, but when I need them (subwoofer out > DSP > power amp, for example) I keep'em short and heavy duty.

I've saved quite a bit on Monoprice (with the shortest lengths available online at 1.5 ft) or Cable Wholesale by purchasing premium component video cable (CL2 RG-6) and simply peeling off the strands as needed.

...and yes indeed "the Shack" is still quite decent. "Making", as it's called on the web now, has grown in popularity as the recent shortage in very good electronic devices and lack of any significant spending power in combination with the wealth of online technical info is tipping the market in favor of repairing and maintaining once again. Unfortunately, micro-electronics are out the door, but for anything with through-hole and even some SMD, I've had good luck finding the correct hardware there. As long as they keep the bench stock full, I keep coming back.

• Like 1

You find out quick what works. RS is still a decent walkin source for installer's or other, who haven't inventory on hand. Walked into a RS store close to thirty years ago. Said I needed a 15vdc regulated power supply. They came up with a box and the parts to build one. Pretty nice before the online.

Used to work in a Big sawmill that would order computer and controller parts from Radio Shack about 25 years ago.

• Like 1

thanks again, kind of what i figured that video was ok for audio nut not vice-versa.

the Ar brand are very decent budget cables & the older pro-2 series are very nice, they have thick jackets with a foil & wrapped wire insulation & thick gold connectors. i assume the wire inside is up to par as well.

will give em a try, while drinking my folgers instant coffee.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On my first cup of Folgers drip...it is aromatic.

Yes sound decent in quality.

25 years ago Radio Shack was the go to place for about everything. I did buy my RG6 in bulk though elsewhere. 20cents per foot was a bit rich and for satellite, I was buying spools of RG6

Short cables would be nice alright, and heavy duty. :ph34r:

thanks again, kind of what i figured that video was ok for audio nut not vice-versa.

the Ar brand are very decent budget cables & the older pro-2 series are very nice, they have thick jackets with a foil & wrapped wire insulation & thick gold connectors. i assume the wire inside is up to par as well.

will give em a try, while drinking my folgers instant coffee.... :rolleyes:

I have used them with an outboard DAC to pre-amp and receivers. Typically video cables are 75 Ohm. when using coaxial cable.When using regular component cables, they are 50 Ohm RCA.