Listening Exercise: Not ANYTHING about Cables!

Mallette

Grain of salt disclaimer: I listened to the files on lappy jr., the smaller of our laptops through the speakers. Maybe when I am home I will funnel them into the house system.

File 1 sounds close miked and quiet like a studio. Key clacks are audible on both files, and perhaps more distinct on file 1.

File 2 brings in a sense of the room---non-musical sounds are heard (clinking of a glass?) along with the key clacks and page turns. Page turns? Why wasn't it memorized? But I digress. The sound of the piano in file 2 is often not so clear as in the first file, as if the mic is in the back of the room (or at least one or some of the mics used, I suspect it was no more than two in the back if that, or it may have been Dave's cube). Of course at the end of file 2 the audience reaction is heard while file 1 immediately cuts off after the last pedal is released.

Anyone else care to join the fray?

Thanks, OT...

Yep, we need more. Certainly your experience is in line with my own belief that first class systems can only enhance the experience of good source material...but you can still here things even on lesser systems and make judgements.

Hope someone or more can do this on their main system or at least on good near field monitors on a PC.

Dave

#1 My ears are at the piano. Near the opening of the lid, if not behind the music rack just past the hammers, with the performer off to my left and the soundboard off to my right. I can clearly hear the reverb in the soundboard. Sounds like the mic is being fed through a compressor.

#2 I'm out in the audience now, or likely just above it. People whispering, coughing, fidgeting with papers. Highly reflective place. Instrument is out front and off to my right by just a little. Certainly doesn't take much effort from the piano to get the reverberant field to sing along (boing, boing right from the first note, almost had me fooled for traffic or HVAC at first). Higher noise floor than the other recording, sounds like it was normalized or more gain is being used on the mic.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Grain of salt disclaimer: I listened to the files on lappy jr., the smaller of our laptops through the speakers. Maybe when I am home I will funnel them into the house system.

File 1 sounds close miked and quiet like a studio. Key clacks are audible on both files, and perhaps more distinct on file 1.

File 2 brings in a sense of the room---non-musical sounds are heard (clinking of a glass?) along with the key clacks and page turns. Page turns? Why wasn't it memorized? But I digress. The sound of the piano in file 2 is often not so clear as in the first file, as if the mic is in the back of the room (or at least one or some of the mics used, I suspect it was no more than two in the back if that, or it may have been Dave's cube). Of course at the end of file 2 the audience reaction is heard while file 1 immediately cuts off after the last pedal is released.

Anyone else care to join the fray?

I pretty much agree with this, and file 1 seems a little louder than 2. I'm listening to a laptop through headphones.

Based on the title of this thread, I guess we're still dealing with the possible audible effects of various wire types (conductive material, dielectric type, geometry, etc.) used in the playback system. How do these recordings correlate to any discussion related to "cable myths"?

Why can't the last page of the other thread be opened (it generates a data base error).

To sum up my last post in the other thread, I pointed out that strong advocates of the ABX and DBT testing methods don't implement or put into practice what the tests conclude. I said advocates are either stupid (because since most things are indistinguishable from each other, why pay one dollar more than necessary), or they're hypocrites, (since their equipment profiles obviously don't reflect a true belief in the testing results). Yes, I called this "the real bullshit". Mark receiving criticism for calling everyone out and forcing them to deal with the elephant in their rooms was, I don't know - I have no idea what to call that.

So what is the point of this listening game - should I change the wire on my headphones between sessions?

Edited by DeanG

Both files were normalized. I don't like doing anything at all to files, but I thought for this purpose best to have them as close as possible in volume.

Open to correction on that.

I might suggest making an effort to get the levels as close as you can. I learned early on that volume differences override the brain to many other things and create false impressions.

Dave

So what is the point of this listening game - should I change the wire on my headphones between sessions?

Some issues with cables will be made once we've had a sufficient number of comments and the new ones die off. However, the main point here is to listen to something in common, in as much as that is possible, and compare thoughts.

We talk about this and that, but rarely listen together and then talk about the experience.

All thoughts are good, but yours come from a particularly well respected place. Let's hear them...

There is no game, no winner, no loser, no "gotcha." Just a sharing of thoughts.

Dave

I am finding it hard to believe that only 6 people in this entire Forum have any interest in actually discussing music, and one of those seemed to assume it's some sort of trick or game.

I realize there's been some roughhousing in some threads lately, some trolling, and general "nya, nya" going on, but that's the nature of this place at times and it shouldn't intimidate people. I don't think my record of posts here shows any instances of setting people up for a fall, and this one won't change that.

It's disheartening to think folks would shy away for those reasons. Maybe I am wrong...

Anyway, I'm going to leave this up for a while.

I still believe we might all learn more from less talk, and more listening.

Dave

OK, so let's listen more and talk less.

I've put up two recordings of the Chopin "Waltz in C# Minor" on my blog site. You can listen directly or download as you wish.

Listen, and comment.

Should be fun...

Blog link is in my signature line.

Dave

Iv been to your 'Said' blog, and let me tell you something Sir, NO one iv read has the insight transferred to words like your 'Blog'.

Iv yet to read everyone, got caught up in some cool links. Keep it up. this is why I like Forums. and Well Done.

• Like 2

only 6 people in this entire Forum have any interest in actually discussing music

And with all the fine loudspeakers Klipsch makes - 3 people listen with headphones. :mellow:

Ya Know, iv just not gotten into this headphone thing, with the people I know in sound I could get anything I want including a 'Loaner' pair.

Just zero interest I guess, wish I could put my finger on it, I feel like im missing something, but then all I need to do is think about my wife, leaving the house, entering the mancave ,walking up and standing right next to me because I cant hear Chit, im pumping wattage and really into it , then I turn and fly outta my chair because someone's behind me! I WILL die of Vaporlock someday, I know it.

Some issues with cables will be made once we've had a sufficient number of comments and the new ones die off.

Sufficient yet?

I don't think you are going to get many more comments. Maybe explaining the cable connection would help.

mdeneen, polking at Mallette, id need to buy both you guy's a libation sometime..........I love ya both.

I listened. I assume this is not about the piano performance?

First

Very close and not well balanced left to right

Distorted on transients

Bad dynamics

Stiffled or compressed sounding

Lacking air and space

Contrived, mechanical

Second

Distant and not well balanced left to right

Same distorted transients

Wooly sounding, blanketed

No air at all

Dull

I didn't download these I just played them through my best headphones.

Why is this called "Son of Cable Myth?"

You talkin about Music or one of my exwifes ? ----LMAO---

Edited by minermark