active crossovers

Skelt

I would like to see Mini DSP to take their product to the next level.

Which miniDSP product are you using?

This one looks pretty interesting: http://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/minisharc-kit

It has 32 bit, 48/96 kHz sampling, and you get to use your own IIR or FIR filtering (like rePhase, for instance), and it takes SD cards for control, so you don't need a dedicated computer to run it after configuration.  There are unbalanced and balanced inputs--all for an incredible $185US. It looks like a downstream miniDSP 2 x 4 or 2 x 8 is required.

However, you get to be the applications engineer to integrate into your system.  Not sure about the sound quality, but it would be an interesting project for sure.

copy-of-img_2528-filtered.jpg

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I would like to see Mini DSP to take their product to the next level.

Which miniDSP product are you using?

This one looks pretty interesting: http://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/minisharc-kit

It has 32 bit, 48/96 kHz sampling, and you get to use your own IIR or FIR filtering (like rePhase, for instance), and it takes SD cards for control, so you don't need a dedicated computer to run it after configuration.  There are unbalanced and balanced inputs--all for an incredible $185US. It looks like a downstream miniDSP 2 x 4 or 2 x 8 is required.

However, you get to be the applications engineer to integrate into your system.  Not sure about the sound quality, but it would be an interesting project for sure.

copy-of-img_2528-filtered.jpg

This is the one I am using... http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

I knew they were making them in China... Just like a lot of very high end companies are having their stuff made. I was shocked when I saw that Classe is now designed in Canada and made in China...along with B&W.

If I am paying a couple of hundred for a product "Made in China" doesn't bother me, but when I am paying $5k for one piece of electronics it starts to bother me.

Edited by ellisr63

• 2 months later...

I was very happy with the 2x4 MiniDSP until i sold it to go full balanced. Now I have hiss coming out of my horns whenever the MiniDSP is powered on. I might have to return it and go for the Ashley 3.6SP. I am assuming that will be nice for the front 3 channels for bi-amping?

I have had some hissing my self with my unbalanced minidsp. I have read that minidsp and behringers are bad about this. I don't know about that particular unit you are looking at, however I have heard good things about Ashley brand.

• Like 1

I really like the Mini DSP for digital, and the Ashley for analog.

I find the mini dsp user friendly, and mine had zero noise issues.

The only issue I have with digital crossovers is that: I don't like to play an analog source, convert to digital, adjust in the digital domain, then convert back to analog. I don't think I ever heard a difference, but it always bothered me, so I slowly migrated back to passives.

Probably worse to go from a digital source, d-a, a-d, d-a.

There is hope, there is more that one way to skin a DAC!

For a while, when I was using all digital, I went directly from my digital source to my digital active crossover, and then to a 6 channel passive preamp on the output.

Warning - If you are not the set it an forget it kind, better stick with passives. Way too many combinations with actives, may drive you nuts.

On a more positive note, my Mini's always sounded good, allow for time alignment, and they allowed for direct input from REW.

Dave.

Any thoughts on the Ashley Protea 3.24CL?

Ive heard it.  Clean.  No hiss or hum.  On a Klipsch grand system.  I would guess u need a digital unit with that danley sub.

I still a big fan Ashly analog.  I dont have a long path horn sub.

Ive heard it.  Clean.  No hiss or hum.  On a Klipsch grand system.  I would guess u need a digital unit with that danley sub.

I still a big fan Ashly analog.  I dont have a long path horn sub.

I am debating on going this route, and selling my MiniDSP 2x4 balanced that I am using for the Bi-amp setup. I will still use one of the MiniDSP 2x4s for my sub.

I have a couple of the Ashly Protea units and I recommend the 4.8SP.  The reason is because anyone running a 3-way system with subs will not have enough outputs with a 6 output unit.  You need 8 outputs to do the subs.  Actually my system is 5-way so I needed 2 processors with the same throughput timing to solve that I/O issue.

I have also setup a competitive system that is pure analog with expensive ALK networks and audiophile components and run it routinely against these digital systems.  You can here that there MAY be a tiny bit more detail in the pure analog system, but there is way more clarity in the digital system because of the advantages of time delay, and EQ in the digital domain.  It's clearer and more focused and over the length of an afternoon is far more enjoyable to listen to.  I think the digital units MAY sacrifice a TINY amount of detail at times in some complicated passages, but I always prefer listening to the clearer system.  In fact I'd go as far as saying it's remarkable how good my MCM setup is.

I have had excellent luck with these Ashly processors.  They have been bulletproof.

• Like 2

I have a couple of the Ashly Protea units and I recommend the 4.8SP.  The reason is because anyone running a 3-way system with subs will not have enough outputs with a 6 output unit.  You need 8 outputs to do the subs.  Actually my system is 5-way so I needed 2 processors with the same throughput timing to solve that I/O issue.

I have also setup a competitive system that is pure analog with expensive ALK networks and audiophile components and run it routinely against these digital systems.  You can here that there MAY be a tiny bit more detail in the pure analog system, but there is way more clarity in the digital system because of the advantages of time delay, and EQ in the digital domain.  It's clearer and more focused and over the length of an afternoon is far more enjoyable to listen to.  I think the digital units MAY sacrifice a TINY amount of detail at times in some complicated passages, but I always prefer listening to the clearer system.  In fact I'd go as far as saying it's remarkable how good my MCM setup is.

I have had excellent luck with these Ashly processors.  They have been bulletproof.

One day when i get the room to set them up, McMs are in the waiting.......and waiting :lol:

• Like 2

I think the digital units MAY sacrifice a TINY amount of detail at times in some complicated passages, but I always prefer listening to the clearer system.

Mark, I'd also recommend listening to a 96 kHz sampling rate crossover.  My experience with a Yamaha SP2060 (a 24/96 processor) audibly beats the Dx38 hands down in that area (in detail), IMO.  Other 96 kHz crossovers mentioned by Tom Danley as quality units include Xilica and BSS,

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Chris,

Yes........Better digital units come along all the time which is good.  The Yamaha has some nice specs and I'll bet it sounds sweet.  Looks very capable, just lacks I/O for me.  I need to look at the Danley recommendations.  He seems to be the new modern day audio hero.

My issue has always been I/O.  I'd like a unit (1 unit) capable of enough I/O for multiple systems actually, and that has home audiophile sound quality.  For instance, right now I have 14 outputs with the (3.6 and 4.8).  I am using 10.  I also have unused inputs.  I can easily have another speaker system, in fact a whole sound system with what I have now, running right in the same processors.  That's what cool about these things.  Each output is independent and you can do whatever you want with it.

For now, the Ashlys are more than satisfying.  Very quiet and clean.  At some point I may make a jump to something better.

• Like 1

The biggest issue with the Dx38 is the gain ranging front-end....ain't no way to undo that distortion short of actually having a good A/D converter. It doesn't help they have an extra thousand opamps in the signal path that you don't need either - and they aren't using the best opamps either.

The topology of the Yamaha is just so much better - and then they're using better opamps on top of that.

• Like 1

My issue has always been I/O. I'd like a unit (1 unit) capable of enough I/O for multiple systems actually, and that has home audiophile sound quality.

I don't think that's an issue with the other units from Xilica and BSS...16 x 16 is easy to get, and in a lot of flavors:

http://xilica.com/products/

I read about the Xilica XP-4080.  That looks like a nice unit.  Again..........only 8 outputs.  So I need 2.  Not time to buy that yet at around $1,800.00 each.  :) 

Actually, some of the forums review it badly for it running out of processing power, and cutting back available filters for successive channels........poor sounding limiting (which is moot for us).  Just saying.  But I think that it probably would be no better or very close to the Yamaha.

The processing power thing is common to all these processors.

• Like 1

I read about the Xilica XP-4080. That looks like a nice unit. Again..........only 8 outputs. So I need 2. Not time to buy that yet at around $1,800.00 each. :)

http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/Xilica-XP-4080.html

Looks like a price drop has occurred ($1129.00). 

Bi-amping stereo (i.e., an XP-2040), the used price is pretty good: $712.00

http://www.solarisnetwork.com/products/xilica/xp-2040#tabs-1

Edited by Chris A