Maybe it isn't manly...

Mallette

I actually know Mark, you know, as a real person. Turning an argument up on end for examination is an art form to him, and he's very good at it. I've been on the receiving end of it many times, and while not pleasant, I've learned to pay attention when it happens. He's making you guys look really silly, so might I suggest you word your thoughts very carefully before posting. Remember, words are vehicles of thought, (and so are pictures).

For the record, I thought the GIF was over the top, but given the subject matter of how we interpret things that could be viewed as subjective...That said, I only know Mark from this forum and agree with Dean's assessment (not that it matters) That said, I've evidently riled some feathers on another forum and realized those people weren't actually reading my posts but offended by my delivery...This internet is a double-edged sword and I don't think discussions when they turn to sarcastic, choose a side battlefields are very productive--That's why I am taking a break from the other site and try not to get involved in discussions that don't really matter to me. My 2 cents.

I invite all those complaining about intellectual debate to go look at the thread called "what's the locking about" in the LOUNGE section. Go to the last bunch of posts. So, that's what an "audio forum" is about. Sex-based GIFs...

Guilty...That was the first thing I saw with morning coffee and it made my day just as the first time I saw it. I actually think everything around that video was "art" but agree it wasn't necessarily audio related.

The resentment against intellect here is breathtaking.

It always is. Will we be seeing references to definitions from your dictionary of choice, soon?

Some people come to the forum to express different emotions than "Napoleanic" ones. Then, there are others. There's room for everyone.

Forums are funny places. If I was going to the symphony, I'd be peeved to see you start a debate with the conductor in the middle of the show while you claim, "There's room for everyone." There is a time and a place, and while it could be anywhere at anytime, there are limits that, at best, could be recognized as "tasteful" or "appropriate" or even "conforming."

I invite all those complaining about intellectual debate to go look at the thread called "what's the locking about" in the LOUNGE section. Go to the last bunch of posts. So, that's what an "audio forum" is about. Sex-based GIFs...

Guilty...That was the first thing I saw with morning coffee and it made my day just as the first time I saw it. I actually think everything around that video was "art" but agree it wasn't necessarily audio related.

+1. :emotion-21: I got more enjoyment out of that than 10 petty arguments, combined. "Cat Scratch Fever" was really funny, as was the "Turtle Pincher."

Back to Manly Tears. If you have ever lost any one you loved try Carolina Chocolate Drops- "Leaving Eden". Produces a fountain in me ever time, & the song Boodle-de-bum bum from same album is guaranteed to bring at least a grin if not a good loud laugh. This cd in my opinion was very well recorded by the engineers.

Edited by Cornman

Back to Manly Tears. If you have ever lost any one you loved try Carolina Chocolate Drops- "Leaving Eden". Produces a fountain in me ever time, & the song from same album is guaranteed to bring at least a grin if not a good loud laugh. This cd in my opinion was very well recorded by the engineers.

That's how I used to feel about a Harry Nilsson song called "Spaceman."

And fortunately I did no such thing. This thread is not a performance and no conductors were interrupted. It is a discussion in which posters are invited to participate. I repeat, this is not a performance.

Do you see the desperate need to make your point? It just looks so..... desperate. Who writes, "I repeat" 2 sentences after the original?

The only time I see this is on Hawaii Five-0. "Come out with your hands up. I repeat, come out with your hands up." Maybe I need to switch channels.

... As a reminder, it was "Why do you listen?"

I started thinking about my current listening habits with Multichannel Music and realized that nowadays it's more about where the music takes me in my own mind. I tend to appreciate passages in between thoughts, but never read, write or am distracted by external things when doing so and have on a nightly basis for almost a decade...

That said, I feel completely different about Painting which I try to put myself in the artist's shoes and see what they were trying to convey emotionally--I probably embarrassed the crap outta my wife in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, standing in front of a Van Gogh in the Dr Gachet wing of the museum.

Btw, I realize that this is the 2-channel section but you guys are the most interesting. {Note: no smiley gif}

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Afro-Desia by Martin Denny is a great way to create a fantasy space, or an escape. The exotic sounds of this music can create an atmosphere so different than the everyday life, that it can transport you mentally to new worlds. It's not as powerful as travel, but it has similar effects. It can change one's mood, and that's another reason why I listen. It can be listened to as nothing more than ambient sound, or it can be critically enjoyed by diving deeply into the performances, the instrument sounds, the arrangements. It can entertain on a range of attributes. A pleasant way to spend time.

That's a great description and exactly why he so popular with the tiki crowd. Many who build tiki bars/rooms do it for the same reasons as you stated so Martins music fits perfectly for the same reasons they just enhance each other. It's amazing music I have just found in the last few months kind of by accident.

• Moderators

This is going to sound crazy even from me. I'm redoing our garden an adding a place to relax and escape, after doing some reading one of the things I found was what they call exotica which was somewhat by accident around 1956.

During an engagement at the Shell Bar, Denny discovered what would become his trademark and the birth of "exotica." The bar had a very exotic setting: a little pool of water right outside the bandstand, rocks and palm trees growing around, very quiet and relaxed. As the group played at night, Denny became aware of bullfrogs croaking. The croaking blended with the music and when the band stopped, so did the frogs.[10] Denny thought this to be a coincidence, but when he tried the tune again later, the same thing happened. This time, his bandmates began doing all sorts of tropical bird calls as a gag. The band thought it nothing more than a joke. The next day, though, someone approached Denny and asked if he would do the arrangement with the birds and frogs. The more Denny thought about it, the more it made sense. At rehearsal, he had the band do "Quiet Village"[11] with each doing a bird call spaced apart. Denny did the frog part on a grooved cylinder and the whole thing became incorporated into the arrangement of "Quiet Village". It sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc.[

Edited by dtel

Thanks Dennie.....

On a serious note. The Star Spangled Banner can bring tears to my eyes each time it is played as I think of my friends and buddies that were killed in Southeast Asia in the early 70's. My gratitude to them shall be never-ending.

american-flag-2a.jpg

Me too, but it's usually after watching my father. He's 85 and has never spoken or offered much information about his time in WWII, and I've always been a bit afraid or more-like reluctant to ask. Dad will almost always tear up during The Star Spangle Banner.

Cheers

Edited by Gilbert

Cal Tjader for me is similar, really enjoy Soul Sauce.

Man, I just googled Cal Tjader and "Soul Sauce", and loved it. That was quite nice, and a new listening experience. Loved it, absolutely loved it, .... talke about mambo time..... awesome, thanks for that.

kid-middle-finger.jpg

It's been bugging me all day. I've gone through amazing changes in my life over the last decade, but some habits and attitudes die harder than others. It requires daily effort on my part and an amazing amount of grace given by those around me. The quoted post wasn't a reflection of the man I am today or helpful towards building community here.

For anyone offended by the above, I apologize.

To Mark specifically, I apologize for posting it in response to our exchange and the connotation I very intentionally directed at you through its use.

- Michael

• Like 1

Gents, this was my thread. I did my best to keep it on topic and civil. You guys go ahead and eat each other alive...with my blessing.

I am out of here.

Dave

Oh pooooo, Dave's gone..... thanks a lot Mark, you're a great human being. It's why I hold your worldly opinions in such high regard.

No Dean, it wasn't cool, and you have every right for calling me out on it. I was being petty and antagonistic. I'm tired of seeing every thread with which Mark participated degenerate into a faux-intellectualism debate over insignificant details just for the sake of arguing. He then cries "victim!" when called out on it and resorts to sniping comments and character attacks.

I'll exercise my privilege as forum participant to no longer engage him further, as well as happily submit to any censorship and penalties the mods see as necessary.

With all sincerity, thanks for the gut check.

Mr. T. Smith, you ain't seen nothing yet. And unless you've visited the land of BS, you'll never know just perfect, how deserving and worthy he is of the wonderful finger painting.

I'm out of here too.

• Like 1

...."Quiet Village". It sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc.[
I'm gonna go off topic a little, but feel it's worth mentioning....That tune was also the inspiration for the prelude theme of Pee Wee's Playhouse. Interestingly, production of that Saturday morning TV show was a stepping stone for many aspiring musicians. See below:

I'd have never guessed the artist who was singing in the second half. :blink: