Maybe it isn't manly...

Mallette

Nice, Larry. I'd love to get a copy of that. Nothing remotely martial there. I didn't listen long as the limitations of the medium badly strip the power, but it was clear that's a marvelous performance worth hearing from a better source.

Dave

I have it Dave, numbers 4, 5, and 6. They blow me away every time I listen exactly how Larry describes. I would be glad to make a decent cassette tape for you if you still have the machine for it. I would be using a nakamichi 480 simple two head recorder. You can specify type of tape including metal and whether you want dolby b. DG 2721 085

$(KGrHqRHJBQFHm(hR16dBR+yU4V5sw~~60_35.J

Wagner also tends to get my Prussian going, but that's odd as I am Scotch Irish.

My son is in his first year of trombone. During my listening session yesterday I got so fired up about old Sheffield LPs I dug up my Sheffield Wagner and played "Ride of the Valkyries" for him. Certainly not a piece to bring on tears, but some extraordinary 'bone playing in there and the power level is adequate to re-animate the dead!

To "cleanse his pallet," I followed with "St. James Infirmary" from the aforementioned Louis Armstrong album. Awesome 'bone playing there of a totally different variety.

He came away apparently enriched and went and practiced for quite a while...

Dave

Kudos for passing it on!! There are parts of Ride of the Valkyries that if played on a good system, good recording, good orchestra can get you to fist pumping. If you have a pulse....

Your approach to art is fine by me. I might have more to say on that but for now I'll respond to the above post. Your question is not necessarily valid for others. It clearly is valid to you, but not everyone, and probably not most everyone. Speaking for myself I don't listen to music for a "message." A composer doesn't really have to "say"anything directly to me. You do T a disservice by parroting the superficial critique of "whats left is the effect." There is more, much more. There is the talents of technique you mention. Right there is something worth paying attention to and it is beyond mere emotional effect. I don't think Mozart says anything directly to me yet I love listening to Mozart, especially the piano concertos. What's left after the "message" then? He is definitely worth listening to for some reason---could it be that the message or communication is simply the joy of sharing a wonderful noise? Is't that why one can enjoy Mozart himself, Tchaikovsky for himself, and Shostakovich for himself, appreciating that each lived in a different era and their music reflects that? Does it always have to be only about me? Is it even mature to only be able to relate it to oneself, or otherwise discard it?

You can specify type of tape including metal and whether you want dolby b. DG 2721 085

HooWAH! Yep, got a rather decent Yamaha. Metal and Dolby C if you have it. I've mentioned here before I am blown away every time I play the couple of metal cassettes I made in Singapore in the late 80s as the format was dying. Good as digital, IMHO, and with the charms of analog.

Dave

Mark does make a point back in post #27. Likewise, classical pieces just don't do it for me....they never have.

Either of these two below however, so long as I'm thinking about the right person or other memory, can get me shedding tears every single time:

and

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

As far as Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony goes I found a copy of it in my classical pile, the Delos version with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Symphony, I believe. This particular recording was done so badly that I thought something was wrong with my equipment; most of the sound was coming from the left speaker and hardly anything at all from the right. I put another orchestral work in the CDP and everything sounded normal.

The liner notes for the Delos CD said the orchestra was configured as a typical 19th century orchestra would have been, and a photograph of the recording session confirms that to be true. The recording setup was identified as using 3 spaced omni mics run through a mixer into a Soundstream digital recorder. I don't know if I have a defective disc or if it is just a poor recording, but I found it to be unlistenable. This one is headed to either the trash can or the gun range. Currently looking for a better example of this work.

As far as Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony goes I found a copy of it in my classical pile, the Delos version with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Symphony, I believe. This particular recording was done so badly that I thought something was wrong with my equipment; most of the sound was coming from the left speaker and hardly anything at all from the right. I put another orchestral work in the CDP and everything sounded normal.

The liner notes for the Delos CD said the orchestra was configured as a typical 19th century orchestra would have been, and a photograph of the recording session confirms that to be true. The recording setup was identified as using 3 spaced omni mics run through a mixer into a Soundstream digital recorder. I don't know if I have a defective disc or if it is just a poor recording, but I found it to be unlistenable. This one is headed to either the trash can or the gun range. Currently looking for a better example of this work.

i will take it for shipping plus an amount.

The recording setup was identified as using 3 spaced omni mics run through a mixer into a Soundstream digital recorder.

Hard to imagine why anyone would do that. IMHO anything one can do with three mikes and a mixer can be done with two mikes and no mixer.

The original Soundstream was a 250,000 device of similar sample rate to Sony MiniDisc, but could do some pretty nice stuff properly handled. The "Digital Fox" was done on one and it's amazingly good. Of course, pipe organ doesn't have much in the upper highs so that helps.

dave

The music? The videography? Or the combination of the two?

The music.

My experience goes like this. First, it's hearing either musical piece. That usually invokes a specific memory. The combination of those two quickly invoke a particular emotion....and then that emotion turns on the water works.

Either video has nothing to do with the respective piece in relationship to my specific response. It's simply a matter of circumstance for having posted a youtube clip. My ears don't need the video.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

...but I freely admit to shedding tears when listening to great music, well performed, and well recorded. I've recently been told I am not a real audiophile as I am happy with what I hear and am not continually jonzin for something "better."

Just finished listening the Sheffield 1986 "Moscow Sessions" recording of the Tchaikovsky 5th. Peter Ilich would probably have been the first to say he wasn't a Bach, Beethoven, or Brahms...after all, he characterized his best known work, the 1812, as "rather noisy."

However, this recording, orchestra, and conductor had the tears rolling down my face as raw emotional power of Tchaikovsky's final movement filled the room.

It's why I listen.

Why do you listen?

Dave

I listen for the love of it, purely for the love.

And I find it impossible to watch this without my eyes swelling up and sheading tears..... http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=il+silenzio+trumpet+solo&qpvt=il+silenzio+trumpet+solo&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=90D672191B62777F728190D672191B62777F7281

It's absolutely beautiful, and I wish I could hug this little girl. The emotion is over whelming for me.... yep, I'm a wusssy and proud of it.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

And I find it impossible to watch this without my eyes swelling up and sheading tears..... http://www.bing.com/...2191B62777F7281 It's absolutely beautiful, and I wish I could hug this little girl. The emotion is over whelming for me
Apropos of this thread dwelling so much on Tchaikovsky, Wiki says about Il Silenzio:

"...its thematic melody being an extension of the same Italian Cavalry bugle call used by the Russian composer Tchaikovsky to open his Capriccio Italien ..."

I don't suppose that makes it sentimental or perhaps a little schmaltzy?