Maybe it isn't manly...

Mallette

There you go again. As Dave pointed out recently, this is a public forum and you should expect to hear from anyone who is a member, or at least not be surprised or offended when it happens. Your butt out mentality is a form of bullying.

Let me understand your point. The cartoon guy can tell me essentially not to post (cuz he doesn't then get a chance to talk), but I can't tell him then not to tell me that? Is that about it? So, I bullied him? Is that what you are saying?

And why do you continually follow my posts by quoting and addressing me? What's your purpose?

No that's not it. You are both wrong in that regard. However I have noticed you doing it quite a bit lately, so my comment was directed at you, fair or not. The pattern of telling people to butt out sounds like bullying to me. Secondly, what is this crap about "continually follow my posts by quoting and addressing me"? Is it beyond your comprehension that active threads are the ones that draw participation? Are you truly so paranoid to believe that this is all about you? Not just paranoid but narcissistic isn't it? I have no purpose other than participating in this forum by doling out my opinions just as you do. That's life right?

Wrong again and unclear on the concept. I have already stated my opinion about the nature of the forum and its member rights. I have stated that neither you nor him should discourage others from posting. There is no evidence to construe that I am trying to have it both ways based on my previous or current statements.

For recorded music - Alison Krauss' Jacobs Dream is indeed a powerful song. I tend to skip over it when listening to that album because it takes ten or so minutes to recover. Its a song about a frontier family where two twin boys wander into the woods while dad is off hunting and mom is doing chores. The community rallies to find the boys but to no avail. At night Jacob dreams of a spot in the woods that is thought not to be where the boys could be. After several nights of this dream, mom convinces dad to look where the dream says the boys are and they are indeed there but had already passed away from exposure. Alison's singing has the ability to evoke great emotion and indeed she pulls out all the stops. There are little mixed in organ toots that enhance the musical emotion of the song as well as the musicianship of the band.

A very powerful song. I tend to skip it also. Having 4 kids, the emotion and the pain you go through listening to the story, is sometimes too much.

I do not enjoy what it does to me, but I am in awe as to the way a song can pull on your emotions.

..and about half way through the disc, I had tears streaming down my face. It moved me and it was just a "WOW" moment.

Ain't it great, Dennie? Suddenly, you remember what it's all about and what you were looking for...and it was NEVER a cartridge with a bit more definition in the high end!

Dave

Why do you listen?

Dave I listen for many different reasons. Often times its the lyrics that move me the most. I can remember as a kid being torn by the lyrics to Tom Dooley. (Poor boy, you're bound to die).

Wow, now-a-days, if Tom could have put together a better defense team or worked the angle of "stand your ground," his hanging may have not happened. lol....

Also, Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven is a very emotional (lyrically) song. To hear the pain in his voice as he sings this song can be quite an experience. I have read that he no longer performs this song in concert.

Lyrics.... a great reason to listen to music....

Edited by Boxx

Boxx, I remember hearing Tom Dooley on the old jukebox next door to my dad's shop when I was a kid. I'd forgotten about it. You are correct, it affected me then. Now, you also made me remember "Scarlet Ribbons for Her Hair" and I am tearing up for reasons you might know without even hearing it.

Tears can be sweet, and cleansing.

Dave

Dave, so you believe Michael's intent with the picture was to convey a message involving a bugger, are you for real? Why are you applying a double standard in the way you're evaluating behaviors?

@Michael, do you really think that was cool? I'd like to think better of you.

I actually know Mark, you know, as a real person. Turning an argument up on end for examination is an art form to him, and he's very good at it. I've been on the receiving end of it many times, and while not pleasant, I've learned to pay attention when it happens. He's making you guys look really silly, so might I suggest you word your thoughts very carefully before posting. Remember, words are vehicles of thought, (and so are pictures).

Dave, so you believe Michael's intent with the picture was to convey a message involving a bugger,

Dean, if it were a picture of a "bugger" I'd delete it myself...

This is NOT a directive as I am just another forum member entitled to the same rights as all. But we've always tried to respect the wishes of thread owners and my wish is...Take it somewhere else PLEASE. I like both you guys a lot, but if you get my thread locked I am not going to be a happy camper.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Same rights as all? That's not how you explained SPAM PATROL moderator to me. I see the picture as offensive spam. The picture means F**k You! Who wouldn't know that, Dave? Does that pass the spirit of the terms of service here?

Mark, I made it absolutely clear that I don't handle "terms of service" and that includes the tastefulness of peoples posts.

You just keep on being your loving, forgiving, sweet self and feel free to see whatever your eyes behold. Peace to you.

I am going to ask the others here, as friends, to leave this be. Mark, YMMV.

Dave

No Dean, it wasn't cool, and you have every right for calling me out on it. I was being petty and antagonistic. I'm tired of seeing every thread with which Mark participated degenerate into a faux-intellectualism debate over insignificant details just for the sake of arguing. He then cries "victim!" when called out on it and resorts to sniping comments and character attacks.

I'll exercise my privilege as forum participant to no longer engage him further, as well as happily submit to any censorship and penalties the mods see as necessary.

With all sincerity, thanks for the gut check.

• Like 2

I'm tired of seeing every thread with which Mark participated degenerate into a faux-intellectualism debate over insignificant details just for the sake of arguing.

What do you get when you cross Fox News and MSNBC with The Grand Ole Opry?

Dean is right. Mark makes antagonism an art. You just have to come to expect this and ignore it if you get your fill.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

I guess when you post this crap as a picture, it doesn't get flagged as unacceptable material, like words would get flagged?

Why would anyone flag a picture of a kid looking at a booger on his finger????

Dave

I get it---It's all about subjective interpretation. Like most things, once you point it out it can become a possibility but....