Maybe it isn't manly...

Mallette

Just finished listening the Sheffield 1986 "Moscow Sessions" recording of the Tchaikovsky 5th. Peter Ilich would probably have been the first to say he wasn't a Bach, Beethoven, or Brahms...after all, he characterized his best known work, the 1812, as "rather noisy."

For Mark, from the thread starter. Judge him for anything except 1812. He'll appreciate it and said as much in his own writings.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Before this gets out of hand.....

Unlikely. I can thoroughly enjoy a great performance of 1812, like you, about every 5 years. My favorite remains the Minneapolis Living Presence version my mother grave me about 1965.

Tears? No. Just a nice rousing romp with lots of musketry, cannon, and bells. He wrote it as popular music for a specific event. Most composers have to do this from time to time, and it's just business.

Dave

Justice to high end string music. im closer than iv ever been, I have a few high end buddy's, I want their sound. ill get it someday.

Crikey, mate. Looking at your system I am at a loss. What do your buddies have that your system doesn't? I find it hard to believe that La Scala's wouldn't do strings as well as a Klipschorn and I know I am happy.

You certain your source material isn't at fault? Your playback chain looks pretty awesome to me.

Dave

• Like 1

I listen to music to change my mood. The stronger the music, the bigger the change.

Sometimes I want to be inspired, sometimes to chill out, sometimes to get my blood moving faster.

The sheer energy of this band always invigorates me.

Four Get Me A Nots - Beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9dI2-C8IE&feature=relmfu

This was the first song of theirs that I encountered, and the power impressed me:

Four Get Me A Nots - Start All Over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lureC1Xjygg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

What should I judge T. by?
Well, emotionality is a good place to start, as it's what most audiences crave -- a sort of expression of what they are feeling inside. That's why great operas that have great expressions of deeply-felt tragedy are such favorites. After all, Mimi's death of TB next to her storybook lover is not sunshine and roses, but rather what aficionados live and die for.

Other things:

• A strong sense of structure, or "form," that tells you it's going somewhere and gets there with determination
  • Instrumentation, the choice of instruments singly and in combination, that unifies the meaning. For example, in the slow movement of his 5th, the horn is the PERFECT choice to sing out the melody the first time, and then the oboe to repeat it, to top it off with its emotionality, etc., etc. Likewise the 6th, in the clip above, beginning with the melancholy bassoon. T. was a MASTER of orchestration.
  • Ability to write melodies (and harmony). T. had that ability almost like no other.
  • Ability to write succeeding sections whose contrasts fit the piece perfectly. This is very evident in the succession of the 1st and 2nd movements of the 5th, and the succession of each of the movement pairs in the 6th, which is the most amazing of his symphonies IMO.

By definition, and audiophile is "a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction".[/size]

I'm not sure I like that definition. I think I'm enthusiastic about music. Klipsch gets me closer to the music.

I think we're all here because of Klipsch and how these speakers have extended our appreciation for music/sonic performance. My comment was to infer that I believe Mallette to be an audiophile, and the quote is from Webster's. Many here have a different opinion/definition, or better ears, but our pursuit of this hobby finds us all in the same "room" and listening. Pretty cool.

• Like 1

The tragedy of war evokes strong emotions. 1812 is a classic, of course, but there are more modern pieces of music that are just as strong. Roads to Moscow is a song I can only listen to occasionally. The slide show with this clip is overly literal, but still effective.

Al Stewart - Roads to Moscow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZG6tRGMYk

Another strong, but less specific, song is Brothers in Arms. The album of the same name is one of the first to be completely recorded and produced in the digital domain, and is marked DDD to show it. It was produced as a CD and cassette, and four of the five songs on Side 1 of the LP were shortened to fit. The Side 2 songs, including the title song, are all full-length.

I listened to the LP just before posting this, and the sound is really good.

Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu4oy1IRTh8

These mist covered mountains

Are a home for me now

But my home is the lowlands

And always will be

Someday you'll return to

Your valleys and your farms

And you'll no longer burn

To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction

Baptisms of fire

I've witnessed your suffrin'

As the battles raged higher

And though they did hurt me so bad

In the fear and alarm

You did not desert me

My brothers in arms

There's so many different worlds

So many different suns

And we have just one world

But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to Hell

And the Moon's riding high

Let me bid you farewell

Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight

And every line on your palm

We're fools to make war

On our brothers in arms

• Like 1

But, I think he plays to the emotions directly and specifically. ... When a composer simply writes notes intended to sweep over people with emotion, it becomes schmaltz. Think of the paintings of Thomas Kincaid to see what I mean by pure schmaltz. They say nothing but sentimentality for it's own sake.
Percy Faith or Montovani are schmaltz, but not T. T. is no mass-production pretty pic producer of the same thing over and over again like Kincaid, and he's certainly not sentimental like Lawrence Welk. Perhaps you have an example of what you're thinking of.

Though you and I seem to hear and feel different things in some music, I really don't understand some of the distinctions you're making. To me, there's not one note of sentimentality in T's 4th symphony. That said, I have seen an occasional credible music critic object to T's emotionality. To me, that simply sounded like too close for comfort.

Justice to high end string music. im closer than iv ever been, I have a few high end buddy's, I want their sound. ill get it someday.

Crikey, mate. Looking at your system I am at a loss. What do your buddies have that your system doesn't? I find it hard to believe that La Scala's wouldn't do strings as well as a Klipschorn and I know I am happy.

You certain your source material isn't at fault? Your playback chain looks pretty awesome to me.

Dave

Im sorry if you misunderstanding my system/me, im fine and so is my system, like others here I chase for a little of this and a little of that for fine tuning.

There is after all, something better just around the corner, always is.

For me, it's religious choral music which brings tears to my eyes. One favorite is Rutter's Mass of the Children which, I believe, he wrote in response to the death of his son. Listened to in near-field, with my eyes closed, the visual imagery evoked is exceedingly powerful. I experience a similar effect with virtually all of the choral music that I enjoy.

Maynard

What does T. say to you? What message?

Rarely anything. In this case, perhaps it's a matter of an incredible performance recorded and pressed at about a "9" level. Few conductors spend time seriously developing Tchaikovsky, preferring to spend their time on career builders like Mahler.

I was listening intently and somewhat clinically. I think I reached a meditative state where my mind quit analyzing and I channeled Tchaikovsky state of mined. It triggered an outpouring of emotion. I am not a shrink and never played one on TV, plus self-analysis is about as dangerous a ground as one can walk on. But that's about as close as I can get.

I can expect tears at "Bei bist du mir," "Eroica," "Gymnopedie #1," etc as these are transcendent pieces even when not performed by a master at his best. However, I think this one cause me to comment because of the rarity of a truly quality performance.

Dave

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this thread and just about anything live that is played well and if amplified, amplified correctly moves me a great deal.

For recorded music - Alison Krauss' Jacobs Dream is indeed a powerful song. I tend to skip over it when listening to that album because it takes ten or so minutes to recover. Its a song about a frontier family where two twin boys wander into the woods while dad is off hunting and mom is doing chores. The community rallies to find the boys but to no avail. At night Jacob dreams of a spot in the woods that is thought not to be where the boys could be. After several nights of this dream, mom convinces dad to look where the dream says the boys are and they are indeed there but had already passed away from exposure. Alison's singing has the ability to evoke great emotion and indeed she pulls out all the stops. There are little mixed in organ toots that enhance the musical emotion of the song as well as the musicianship of the band.

Wagner also tends to get my Prussian going, but that's odd as I am Scotch Irish. :)

Wagner also tends to get my Prussian going, but that's odd as I am Scotch Irish.

My son is in his first year of trombone. During my listening session yesterday I got so fired up about old Sheffield LPs I dug up my Sheffield Wagner and played "Ride of the Valkyries" for him. Certainly not a piece to bring on tears, but some extraordinary 'bone playing in there and the power level is adequate to re-animate the dead!

To "cleanse his pallet," I followed with "St. James Infirmary" from the aforementioned Louis Armstrong album. Awesome 'bone playing there of a totally different variety.

He came away apparently enriched and went and practiced for quite a while...

Dave

Edited by Mallette