How loud do you listen?

Zen Traveler

In another thread I was asked about my buying decisions when it comes to audio and after thinking about it decided to ask another question here: Does anyone keep track of how loud they listen to Movies and Multichannel music with an SPL meter or app? If you use Audyssey I started another thread here to see where folks listen compared to "0" or Reference Level: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148127-what-are-your-audyssey-settings-and-preferences/

Edited by tkdamerica

As my system RESOLUTION got better (all horns of course) with the K402/K1133, super tweet and my new bass horn, I'd say my levels are 10 db lower than they used to be at about 80-85 db according to Radio Shack meter double checked with my iPhone and free SPL apps.

The only time I go higher is in demo mode for fellow Klipsch buddies, or with old rock and alcohol.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Lets be crystal clear on your issue:

Im in my man cave, my ears (at this time) are here>@ 22Watts class A Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzfD6XLK7Q

The wife unit comes in, scares the living chit out of me and after I calm down, hand her the Lagavulin16 she ask for, proceeds to pull up a chair.

Took me 35+ years to find a mare like this.

• Like 2

I find volume is proportional to alcohol consumed. More than 3 hours outside with the grill going normally leads to a visit from the local law enforcement. I wish I was joking.

You need the neighborly equivalent of a sacrificial anode. I have one in a house behind me. Nothing I can do can attract as much attention. Best case is a big family with a bigger extended family who gather for all sorts of parties, birthdays alone fill the calendar nicely.

Lets be crystal clear on your issue:

Im in my man cave, my ears (at this time) are here>@ 22Watts class A Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzfD6XLK7Q

The wife unit comes in, scares the living chit out of me and after I calm down, hand her the Lagavulin16 she ask for, proceeds to pull up a chair.

Took me 35+ years to find a mare like this.

I'm going to try that malt now. I've been listening to the youtube on my Promedia 5.1, and am very happy. I am heading upstairs right now to pour some Scapa. :)

edit: I'm going to have to pass of the Lagavulin for now. I just found out the shipping alone is $49.14. I will see if it is carried at my local ABC store. They do have quite an extensive offering.

Edited by mustang guy

I find volume is proportional to alcohol consumed.

+1

Between insanely loud car stereos in my younger years and working in industry most of my adult life, I have some measurable hearing loss and it pretty much sucks. Just in case anyone doesn't know, here is a good link to get an idea of how much is too much if you are concerned.

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

Now-a-days, I have done a good deal of measuring output and have a good feel for adjusting volume as required to prevent further damage via radio shack device and iphone app. Booze makes it harder to keep exposure below the level that I would experience another permanent threshold shift.

...The only time I go higher is in demo mode for fellow Klipsch buddies, or with old rock and alcohol.

I find volume is proportional to alcohol consumed. More than 3 hours outside with the grill going normally leads to a visit from the local law enforcement. I wish I was joking.

Ya know that is one of the reasons I've continually checked the volume in which I listen because I wanted to see how much alcohol (or even what mood I was in) affected how loud I normally listen...Fwiw, I like to have a few nice ales when I am listening to multichannel music and concerts, but don't necessarily like to drink during movies.

...Fwiw, I like to have a few nice ales when I am listening to multichannel music and concerts, but don't necessarily like to drink during movies.

An occasional Breckenridge Brewery Vanilla Porter seems to hit the spot when chilling with music. Maybe even a Highlands Brewing Company(Asheville) Gaelic Ale.

Sorry, had to piggyback on the Ale/music thing.

Bill

Music I don’t like listening to quite as loud usually around 85 sometimes 90 db. Movies on the other hand I only watch 1 movie possibly 2 a week up in the theater and I like to watch them close to refrecne level maybe just shy about 5-8db but that also depends on the content. Most of the music I listen too is classical, film soundtrack, blues and or jazz with the occasional instrumental or rock. If I listen to classic rock or newer rock I usually put it up louder but it is anything else I like it around 85 db.

I don't drink during movies but music requires the company if Glenmorangie or Macallan

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

As my system RESOLUTION got better (all horns of course) with the K402/K1133, super tweet and my new bass horn, I'd say my levels are 10 db lower than they used to be at about 80-85 db according to Radio Shack meter double checked with my iPhone and free SPL apps.

The only time I go higher is in demo mode for fellow Klipsch buddies, or with old rock and alcohol.

Before I had my current AVR which has Audyssey X32 I noticed it pegged my SPL meter at lower volume on the MV (Movies closer to -10 to -12 and over 100 dB in bass heavy music)...After adjusting my subs trim down before running the EQ program found that movies actually sound great at "0" (or within a few dB) and I enjoy music slightly higher on the MV, but it doesn't register over 100 dB as much as it used to and I attribute that to running my subs hotter before.