Klipsch Status pairing with portable amp/dac question

undsioux7

Hello klipsch fans!

I have the klipsch status and while a great headphone that has a really nice tonal quality, instrument separation and soundstage, I feel I am just missing that klipsch punch I get from my RF home theater system.

Has anyone had experience with pairing an amp/dac with these or would have some suggestions to help get these headphones over the top? I don't want to darken the sound or muddy the bass, but it just needs a little something extra.

I have used the status's on my galaxy s4, mac mini 2012 (running win 8.1) and surface 2. They all sound pretty similar since these are easy to drive. The s4 is a little lacking, but I can still get it pretty loud.

I certainly enjoy them a ton though and listen to them as much as I can. I have listened to some 92/24 Flac files and CD's via usb cd player connected to my make mini to rule out my mp3 collection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My budget would probably be between 150-200, unless that is overkill and I can get by with something for less money that still does the job.

Welcome to the forum!

There are tube headphone amps available. I have always wanted to try one out. You may want to research that. Tonally, tubes are more pleasing to me, and they also seem to deliver a more solid punch, as you call it. There is no question the sound you get from one of them will be very different from the Galaxy and the Mac Mini.

Although I use sennheiser headphones i can tell you that Schiit makes some very good reasonably priced amps and DACs for headphones, I currently have there Valhalla and Uber Bifrost running my HD-650 and could not be happier with there performance

they also have excellent warranty, and a 15 day trial period, as well as excellent customer relations,

For a cheap tube amp they have the Vali (129.00, made in USA) Ive never heard it but it gets raves on Head-fi

My Valhalla is a SET design tube amp aand cost 350.00 with 5 year warranty