PB 13 ULTRA vs PSA XV30

timdog5000

Recently stumbled upon this sub, actually this evening. I had seen the Triax but thats all I had heard of PSA. Any impressions of this sub? I read that the creaters

and owners are former SVS employees. or co founders as in the V in SV Sound. Anyone have any advice on which way to go. Ive read for quite A while on many different sites of SVS quality and cs. Don't want to pursue this any further till i get some feedback from our fellow forum members. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hmm these PSA subs have a similar look and approach to the now defunct eD(remember eD?) subs. Low(~$200 or less) cost larger drivers in larger boxes = BIG PERFORMANCE per $.

Could be an interesting alternative to DIY.

What a stupid chart. The second and third chart list totally different specs for the Svs PB-13 ultra. Whoever made that chart should look a little

Closer before they try to bash other companies flagship products. I'd still take Svs any day for their bill of rights and customer service over toms psa company.

What a stupid chart. The second and third chart list totally different specs for the Svs PB-13 ultra. Whoever made that chart should look a little

Closer before they try to bash other companies flagship products. I'd still take Svs any day for their bill of rights and customer service over toms psa company.

Tom gets beat up pretty good over those charts on avs. People calling him out on a lot of his bs claims. Plenty of people stick up for him but the point is still made that its bad PR and some of it is just plain bs.

• Like 1

Never belive the manufactures charts, they are usually conservative on their performance, yeah-right. :P

You are right for sure. The ID company's need to hit those numbers for their own good. They depend on being what they say.

Edited by reference_head

I heard they change the driver/dust cap on some of the newer model subs. They report that the output is 1-2 db more. Most likely the xmax was increased slightly. Some internet director companies do this to lower distortion but, basically same in home performance as the older version.

I figured scrap or derrick would have jumped in by now...

Has the OP considered DIY 18's yet? That is truly the path of righteousness when it comes to subs...

:D

This is the key to life...diy 18" pair or dual..

You will never, ever again wonder or even look at powered subs again...guaranteed! its that simple and tons of help on this forum to provide the info to do so...i highly suggest considering diy my friend timdog5000.....

You can be content as you are with your powered sub Schu although for the peeps looking and posting about this and that etc...powered sub this and pwrd sub that a diy sub system will end the wonder&insanity...I cannot imagine turning back and i do use powered subs in other rooms although my main listening room there is no way i would turn back...I have even found myself in oppurtunitys locally to buy $5-600+(even 800-1k$ for under 200) dollared subs for $50-$100(rare but has happened) powered subs and dont even think about buying them...

It brings such a smoothness and efficiency that is unparalleled with a powered sub in a box or even 4 pwrd subs(iv had up to 6 with 4 identical quality powered subs then another pair identical or different)and none have ever even came close to what i get out of my dual 18's.

Not to say you cannot be content with 1 pwrd sub as you are although for those in this endless venture to find another or just 1 high dollar sub its a no brainer to just go diy and be done and never have to wonder about any more quality bass etc..ever again...ending the insanity of not being content...

DyI is cheaper for more bang. My subs are very similar to DYI and won't win a beauty contest. They are great for movies and OK for music. They tight and articulate: they are not necessary for increase spl.They will add richness to the bass for music. It is a personal choice for everyones personal journey to audio nirvana.

Mine as well are not diy. I have bought larger cabinets for my radians to properly tune their use in my room size for better bass in my space. Great for music and great for movies.

Still buying the way you or i have with choosing amplifier etc is a diy type of situation is best to do for so many...I must say tho...comparing 18" sub use with even rf7ii's produces a huge gap that i find to be filled so well with 15's in that such as a cornwall or chorus/chorus ii...

I love direct radiating 18's but have to fill the space with 15's then to 12's and then horns...just gets full filled in reproducing sound or producing...

diy baby all the way!

I figured scrap or derrick would have jumped in by now...

Has the OP considered DIY 18's yet? That is truly the path of righteousness when it comes to subs...

:D

i did already chime in. i just didn't recommend like usual with the diy stuff cause tim has already said before he didn't want to do that.

I could never figure what the point is in having so much bass... like more is automatically better.

schu its not about more is better. its about how effortless the bass is. if you do any amount of high level listening a couple 18's will trump a single 15. now if you never listen above -10 or so then yeah the se-115 would last all day without trying hard. but reference levels these diy 18's handle so well. i have never heard the se-115. but even my pb-13 ultras in my current basement struggled at reference levels with SOME movies. my current subs i have yet to find anything that makes them struggle. and that is what i shoot for. effortlessness.

• Like 1

I am like Scrappy, I hear people talking about a good workout for their sub and I think it must have been in some danger, lol. I have never worried about cutting up the avr to 0 due to bottoming out the sub or driver failure. I don't do it a lot because I want to be able to hear with ear down the road, lol. I find the 18 in. subs to be a perfect match for the RF 7's and RC 64. There are many smaller subs that are also a great match with these speakers, just personal choice. I like feeling like I've been puched after some movies. One movie felt like I broke a rib, OK not to that extreme, ha ha.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I wish I would have done the diy before I bought 3 svs subs. I could sell them build 3 and probably have over a thousand left in my pocket. Just would hate to take the loss. Plus it's pretty effortless as is. But that 1k could help fund the pro speakers I buy in the future. Ahh will this ever end!

I am sure you have plenty of Thunder in you system reference_head, lol. The SVS subs are no slouch! The big key fact is to use multiples. I actually have a higher spl with 3 compared to running all 4. The difference is the nulls are smaller with 4 as well as the peaks. Boy we all jacked this thread. No one is talking about the PSA sub, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1