Dual RT-10D vs RSW-15 Comparison

Youthman

The RT-10d is a much more controlled sub than most others I've heard, something I have come to like very much. It has lots of power and punch but does not just sound that way all the time it's more subtle and controlled but comes on strong when in demand.

Youth play the 2 demo's that the sub has in the LCD control on top they are impressive.

• Moderators

I just spoke with Klipsch. He basically said they would not turn on if they were not the correct Voltage (which is what WakeJunkie told me as well). Either both subs were mislabled at the factory (probably not too likely) or they are able to handle either voltage like the newer Klipsch Subs can (Klipsch support said the new subs are built this way. He wasn't sure if the older subs had that capability).

has lots of power and punch but does not just sound that way all the time it's more subtle and controlled but comes on strong when in demand.

That's a good way to describe it. Definitely smooth, subtle and controlled. I'm curious to see how they compare with a full blown action sequence.

Youth play the 2 demo's that the sub has in the LCD control on top they are impressive.

I did see that when I was going through the menu. I'll have to check those out tonight. :D

• Moderators

That is sweet! Really like Demo #2. It does a sweep from high to low. Rattles the room. Great way to quickly and easily show off the sub without even having to hook up anything. Wish the RSW-15 had that.

230 V input power supply works on 115 V ? Weird, just weird, that is all I can say. What I would want to do is put a sinewave in at say 30Hz. and attach an oscilloscope at the active driver and see if anything near the rated RMS power is capable of coming out of the amp. This would be outdoors or in the garage with the door open of course. Weird.

but babadono

I'm not familiar with the calibration options built into the subs.

Since you don't have the mics that came with it you should be able to re-run audacity and let it set the levels.

Check the settings and see if it comes up with -12 or +12 (top or bottom of the range) you should adjust the level on the sub itself until you get within the range Audacity will adjust.
I have had good results doing this with my Mackie Sub.

• Moderators
you should be able to re-run audacity and let it set the levels.

My turn.....I think you meant "Audyssey". Audacity is an audio editor. :P But yes, it should set the levels accordingly. The Harman Kardon does not use Audyssey, they have their own room EQ. May give that a try though.

youth set both subs at 0 and run your room eq. it will set them as 1 but your room is pretty symmetrical. should be just fine. could be bait better with the mic but you will still get to try them out at least. i always ran mine on depth eq vs punch or flat. i like the deep bass. but since you like the slam you may prefer the punch

Klipsch still sells the Mics for calibration. I looked into it and think they run about 30 dollars. I used the mic from my UMC-1 and it was tempermental but worked well. When I sold my rt-10d all I did was use the demo mode for the guy and his eyes lit up and was sold!

• Moderators
Wow, I need to trade my black RT-12d for a cherry one, those are gorgeous!

I agree, they are beautiful indeed.

Thx for the calibration advice scrappy. I had set both to Depth. I haven't tried Punch yet.

Klipsch still sells the Mics for calibration. I looked into it and think they run about 30 dollars.

I'll be getting the calibration mic in a few days when I get back from my weekend trip.

• Like 1

Youthman, awesome looking setup!

There's also a PC based program for these subs that uses the USB port (after you obtain a mic). I think it's called Klipsch Subcommander. It allows you fine tune things and it's definitely worth getting if your AVR doesn't have Audyssey built in. It should be free if you call Klipsch.

As for level matching, I used REW (Room eq wizard) software, a usb mic and hdmi out from my laptop, prior to getting a preamp with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32.

Edited by etc6849

I looked on my RT-12d's. I think they are from ~2006. They both say 120V 60Hz where youthman's say 220V 50Hz. It sounds like they work just fine though. Very strange.

WakeJunkie says it probably has Auto Arrange Power Supply. Says it's pretty common

VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC 60Hz
EXPORT VERSION 220 VAC 50/60Hz
Edited by etc6849

• Moderators

I'm out of town for a few days. So far, I have favored the RSW-15 but have only listened to 2ch and have not picked up the calibration mic (although I did calibrate them with my Harman Kardon mic and it said calibration successful).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've been swamped with design projects so I actually jumped in the HT this morning before work to try and do some testing but didn't get too far. I repositioned the subs to make it easier to switch back and forth between the two sets and got as far as setting the levels on the subs to the same volume. Just have to get another morning I can slip in there to go through the frequencies.

Just have to get another morning I can slip in there to go through the frequencies.

I guess Michael(Youthman) will never completely know what the RT-10d twins are capable of both musically and with HT. I took them off his hands this morning. He graciously drove the hour plus trip and delivered them to my family room. As hard as it is to believe, they are more beautiful in person than Michael's superb photos. We did some test demos with "Flight of the Phoenix" and some Steely Dan and Eagles music. Musically(2-channel and multichannel), it sounded fantastic. HT wise and accompanied by my SVS SB13+ and Klipsch RSW-10d(Revel B15 is getting a rest), sounded great without new Audyssey settings. One day in the next week I will run Audyssey MultEQ XT again and see what I get.

We had fun and really enjoyed Michael's "Autosound 2000" CD and running the test tones from 10Hz to 99Hz. We used my Samsung Galaxy II sound meter app and passed the phone from one seating postion to another with each frequency. Amazing how the dB levels can vary in a matter of 3 to 4 feet. Some of the frequencies were 7dB down/up from one position to another. Maybe when I run Audyssey again in 5 seating locations the volume will not vary so much. It will be some fun demos.

Thanks for everything Michael,

Bill

• Like 1