Dual RT-10D vs RSW-15 Comparison

Youthman

• Moderators

An acquaintance of mine contacted me asking if I knew anyone that might be interested in purchasing a pair of RT-10D. I've never owned any of the RT Series and have only heard one demo a LONG time ago. I want to see how they compare to my RSW-15 so I decided to buy them.

My schedule has been crazy busy lately but as soon as I have some time, I will do some comparisons between Dual RT10D and a Single RSW15. Do you think that would be a fair comparison? To me, it's hard to tell because you have (1) Active 15" & (1) Passive 15" in the RSW-15 vs (2) Active 10" & (4) Passive 10" in the RT-10D.

What are your thoughts on which might come out on top?

RSW-15 Specs:

600 RMS / 2400 Peak

Down to 19Hz

121dB

Surface Area: 352

RT-10D Specs:

700 RMS / 1600 Peak

Down to 22Hz

119dB with Single RT-10D

122dB with Dual RT-10D

Surface Area of single RT-10D: 235.5

Surface Area of Dual RT-10D: 471

The RT-10D is designed to be in a corner so I'm thinking about leaving my RSW-15 behind the bottom right door of the False Wall and placing the RT-10D behind the false wall in the corners.

Here is my prediction.....the RSW-15 will beat a single RT-10D but Dual RT-10D will beat RSW-15. Now when I say beat, I'm probably just talking shear impact. The RSW-15 is very musical but I've heard the same about the RT-10D series as well.

Guess that's part of the fun finding out through experimentation.

Visually, the finish on the RT-10D is absolutely gorgeous! Very deep, dark cherry wood color. Although they have a small profile, they are quite heavy for their size. The foam surrounds are very tight and thick.

Unfortunately, everyone is in bed so I'll have to wait till tomorrow night to fire them up! :( This should be a fun comparison! :D

Below are some pics for your enjoyment.

Klipsch-RT-10D-01.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-02.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-03.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-5.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-7.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-8.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-9.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-10.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-11.jpg

Klipsch-RT-10D-12.jpg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

Interesting comparison! I have dual RSW-15 myself. Dual RT-10D should outperform a single RSW-15 with a good margin. The surface area of the RT-10D's 6x10" woofers is significant bigger than RSW-15's 2x15" woofers. The amplifier in the RT-10D is also rated at 100w RMS more than RSW-15.

Edit:

I have stacked my RSW-15's on the top of each other and have a 6dB gain after perfect phase adjusting (when I turn one of them off my Radioshack mic measures 6dB lower output). Why do you only get 2dB gain with dual RT-10D vs single RT-10D?

Edited by DynamicPower

• Moderators
In your setting they look sweet against the black false wall. Why not let them exposed to show off that beautiful cherry wood.

I agree with you there. Just not sure the RT-10D will perform that well being out in the wide open. Typically when you remove a sub from near any wall, you get a greatly reduced amount of bass. These were designed to fit in a corner. One day, I will redesign my false wall and maybe not even have a false wall. My original desire was to hide everything but I do miss seeing them so for the past several months, I have had my RF-83's right where they are shown and have really enjoyed the sound of them there.

I have dual RSW-15 myself. Dual RT-10D should outperform a single RSW-15 with a good margin. The surface area of the RT-10D's 6x10" woofers is significant bigger than RSW-15's 2x15" woofers.

That's what I'm thinking too Dynamic. Someone check my math on the Surface Area. I am not known for having the best math calculating skills :P

Yeah, I'm not sure how much difference that will make. The top end of the amp is a lot more on the RSW-15 compared to the RT-10D (1600 Peak vs 2600 Peak).

Why do you only get 2dB gain with dual RT-10D vs single RT-10D?

Because I can't type. :lol: I meant to add a 3dB gain. I believe I remember correctly that when you add a second sub, you yield a 3dB gain. If you stack them, you yield a 6dB gain. Can't stack these (probably wouldn't want to due to the LCD panel on top).

• Like 1

• Moderators
They are worth buying even for just eye candy.

I always have loved the Cherry finish but there is something about the deeper, redish tint of these that make them even more beautiful than the finish on my RF-83's. Very, very classy IMO.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wish Klipsch made such works of art now; both musically & aesthetically; AND backed them with an industry standard warranty.

Thank you for this thread & the beautiful pics!

I haven't heard any of the newer Klipsch subs but you do wonder why they went away from the RSW-15 and RT Series and why they are not offering other finishes besides Black (unless you want to jump up to the Palladium Series). My guess is maybe the vast majority order black because it's easier to work with any decor?

• Like 1

They are worth buying even for just eye candy.

I always have loved the Cherry finish but there is something about the deeper, redish tint of these that make them even more beautiful than the finish on my RF-83's. Very, very classy IMO.

The RT-10d's may have an older production date than your RF-83's. Cherry darkens over time and can age towards a more red tinge. On the other hand, the RT-10d was not mfr'd in Hope and may be a different species of cherry(European or Asian).

Bill

• Like 1

Youth those look stunning with your setup. You may be able to incorporate the RT10ds outside the false wall and still use your RSW 15 in a 3 sub setup (that may be a pain to align phase etc with but I know derrick ran 3 subs for a while). I owned the RT12D and loved it but it lacked the huge punch and power I get now with the KW120s there is no comparison. Those should sound really nice in your setup. If you had dual RT12ds it would most likely be replacing the RSW 15IMO I’m interested to see this review as well. I need to pick up a nice Nikon camera those pics are stunning!

The RT-10d's may have an older production date than your RF-83's. Cherry darkens over time and can age towards a more red tinge. On the other hand, the RT-10d was not mfr'd in Hope and may be a different species of cherry(European or Asian).

Bill

Bill is right. Cherry will naturally darken to a very deep red over time. Antique Cherry is very dark. Exposure to light will affect how they age. Eventually the RF-83s should match it. If it were me I would want to put the RF-83's and the pair of beautiful subs in the living room for the eye candy and move that matched set of RF-7ii's to the HT with the RC-64ii, and RS-62iis. But my wife likes subs so it is easy for me to say that.

• Moderators
You may be able to incorporate the RT10ds outside the false wall and still use your RSW 15 in a 3 sub setup

I did a quick test this morning before work and it seems they really need to be by a wall to generate output. Not sure I would gain much with them being out in the open. Plus, it would prevent me from access to the bottom doors on the false wall. They do look cool there though. :D

Thx Bill & Wake. I think I remember one of you telling me that a long time ago. I don't know much about wood. Didn't realize it darkens over time. Very cool looking.

If it were me I would want to put the RF-83's and the pair of beautiful subs in the living room for the eye candy and move that matched set of RF-7ii's to the HT with the RC-64ii, and RS-62iis. But my wife likes subs so it is easy for me to say that.

Unfortunately, subs in the living room isn't an option. I can do whatever I want in the HT but the living room is her room. I'm doing good to be able to even have a 2ch setup in there.

• Moderators

Whoa now that's a great idea wake - I'd consider that youth ! The rf83s are more musical too

When I bought the RF-7II system, I had gone through many different scenarios and even compared the RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

My conclusion was the RF-7II sounded the best for 2ch listening since they weren't as bright as the RF-7 but they were brighter than the RF-83's. I did do a few quick A/B comparisons between the RF-7II and the RF-83 in the HT using the RC-64 center and really didn't hear any noticable difference at all for HT. Since HT sounded the same and 2ch sounded better with RF-7II, I kept the RF-83 system in the HT and added the (4) RS-62II.

• Moderators

it's a sexy sub to say the least. The RSW-15 is a monster and for the brief time i had it, those drivers are big and it moves a lot of air.

That is for sure. I still remember the day I bought brought it home and hooked it up. I had Dual Velodyne HGS15's (15" with 1250 RMS / 3000 Peak amp). With one HGS15, I heard it but didn't "feel" it. Adding just the single RSW-15, I "felt" it! As a result, the Velodyne HGS15's were sold shortly thereafter.

I have dual RSW-15 myself. Dual RT-10D should outperform a single RSW-15 with a good margin. The surface area of the RT-10D's 6x10" woofers is significant bigger than RSW-15's 2x15" woofers.

That's what I'm thinking too Dynamic. Someone check my math on the Surface Area. I am not known for having the best math calculating skills :P

Why do you only get 2dB gain with dual RT-10D vs single RT-10D?

Because I can't type. :lol: I meant to add a 3dB gain. I believe I remember correctly that when you add a second sub, you yield a 3dB gain. If you stack them, you yield a 6dB gain. Can't stack these (probably wouldn't want to due to the LCD panel on top).

I got the same area as you so I think we got right :P

I actually got 6dB gain when I had them placed in my left and right corner too.