Dual RT-10D vs RSW-15 Comparison

Youthman

• Moderators

Busy day today, got home, ate dinner, headed to my daughter's basketball game. Wife stayed home because she's sick and went to bed a 8:15pm. I guess there will be no testing tonight. :(

I'll have a little bit of time before work tomorrow to briefly check them out.

Busy day today, got home, ate dinner, headed to my daughter's basketball game. Wife stayed home because she's sick and went to bed a 8:15pm. I guess there will be no testing tonight. :(

I'll have a little bit of time before work tomorrow to briefly check them out.

We can wait, hope your wife gets better soon.

Let us know how it goes with the power supply issue.

I only have one but I do love both the sound and looks of my RT-10d sub. Very musical sub which does not overpower music and has an excellent blend with the mains, yet great HT power as well when a movie demands. The RT-10d really is a very nice sounding sub and a beauty too.

Also I just looked, my sub does have 120V on the amp plate not 230V.

Rich, should I set the sub at 0dB before level matching with my mains?

See what you need with a couple tries and where things are, 0 is always a good starting point but every system is different so what you may need will probably be different than what I use. I know you have your Radio Shack SPL meter, that's what I use to dial in my settings. I usually zero my center channel and adjust everything else to match that as needed according to my SPL meter.

It's funny, with the RSW-15 at 3/4 on the subwoofer, the AVR has to be set to like -10dB in order to match the rest of the speakers. LOL

That is close to what I have as well -11db at my processor.

I need to redial in my sub volume now as well, I think I screwed up its setting when I was looking at amp plate to see if it said 120V or 230V

• Moderators

Got both subs hooked up, ran calibration on both subs successfully. Then I went to level match and the sub doesn't register on the SPL meter. Checked my RSW-15 and it does the same thing. The frequency that it puts out (white noise maybe) barely reads in the SPL meter. Not sure how to properly calibrate them to match the other speakers. If I changed it from A to B on the meter, it helped some but not sure what the difference is there.

So without any "scientific" testing, so far, I played some music that had solid bass tracks. The RT-10's are very smooth and blend in very well with the RF-83's. They are not localized and provide a great amount of bass. Swapped out the dual RT-10's with the RSW-15 and it was obvious to my ears that the RT-10D's don't have the depth and slam that the RSW-15 does.

Levels on the RT's were at 0 and I tried them at +3 (volume goes up to +10).

Any suggestions on how I can level match the subs? Could I play maybe an 80Hz test tone? That would surely pick up on the meter but I'm guessing that wouldn't necessarily match their levels to the rest of the speakers.

Need some help level matching fellas.

I didn't know that the RT-10D was the RSW-12 Equivalent. If that is the case, that makes sense why the RSW-15 hits harder and deeper than even Dual RT-10D's. I'm headed to work so I'll have to play more later. I want to try a few movie scenes before trying them out in the living room. Even though they aren't an option to stay there, I'm just curious how they sound with the RF-7II's since I don't have a sub in that setup.

• Moderators
That might be why it isn't hitting as hard.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of clean bass coming from the subs. When I first fired it up, I heard a major rattling and I thought it might be the speaker.....nope, it was the plywood in the top of my false wall. LOL. My screen vibrates, bass travels through the entire house. But it's just not as powerful as what I feel from the RSW-15. I'm under no impression that the subs aren't perfoming as they were designed to do.

• Moderators

Tasdom, I think it would be difficult without a repeater since the subs are in a corner, plus they are behind my false wall. Not much room for the IR beam to get behind the sub without using a repeater. The manual also suggests using a repeater if you want to use the IR feature.